1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WebM support on bit-tech

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Umbra, 3 Dec 2014.

1. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Can bit-tech support WebM files, the present posting options don't allow linking to WebM files or have I missed something?
    The WebM open video format is increasingly being used on forums and has the advantage that WebM files don't auto load like Gif files which can slow down page loading (with bigger Gif files) especially when using mobile devices, will WebM's be supported in the future?

The WebM project.

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The problem is that even though Bit-Tech uses vBulletin, you'll notice it's still version 3 rather than the more recent versions 4 or 5. This is because the vBulletin in use by B-T is very, very heavily customised by members of the the original BitTech team who are no longer around (I think it was Jamie and/or Rich who did most of the customisation?). AFAIK, this customisation is there to help tie the forum to the rest of the website, especially the article and main-site backends.

If B-T were to upgrade forum software, it would either mean somehow migrating the customisation across to a new version of vBulletin or losing those customisations completely - neither of which are really acceptable.

TL;DR answer: no, WebM is unlikely to be supported on B-T any time soon.

3. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I'd doubt there is much customization that would be needed on a newer install.
    I think they are just lazy. I mean Christ the Tapatalk plugin still hasn't been updated yet.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And, with the same amount of evidence, I think you smell like a sumo-wrestler's sweaty jockstrap.

I can confirm that the Vbulletin install here is insanely heavily customised. Have you ever wondered how it is that posts made in the Article Discussion sub-forum appear as comments on main-site posts and vice-versa? See how few sites do that? Every other site has a complete disconnect between forum and content, but not bit. Upgrading to the latest Vbulletin release would break that. The people who made it work in the first place are no longer here. Basically, it would mean the end of the Article Discussion forum as it is now. You'd have the forum, and you'd have the site. Posts made on the forum wouldn't appear on the site. Comments made on the site wouldn't appear on the forum. It'd be a complete disconnect, like every other site, and both the forums and the site would be worse for it.

Laziness? Hardly.

5. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

I do after todays work! :D

Basically it's a bridge...
    Even that copy cat Play3r site can do it.

You could argue that whatever is being used as the front end is completely custom.. fair enough.
    But I'd have a guess that the ad revenue on this site could easily pay for the bridge to be re-written and pay for an upgraded license.
    If you turn around and say it's some easily available bloging software then I won't be impressed. :/

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You mean the CMS? Aye, it's called Tool5 (T5 for short) and bit is the only site in the world to use it. It's also the best damn CMS I've ever had the pleasure to use.
    And I'd have to guess that you slurp when you eat soup, again using the same amount of insight into inner workings that you're showing here. If you think bit is rolling in advertising revenue, then ask yourself this question: why did Dennis Publishing sell it? It's not a company to turn down easy money. To put it another way: would you be pleased to see bit hire a dev to go through the code-base, figure out all the customisation that has been done, perform the same customisation to the latest Vbulletin version and then roll it out if it meant sacking a writer? There's a finite amount of money. I'd rather see any excess there may be go on more content for the site than the ability to post animations of cats falling off roofs with amusing captions in a shiny new format. (Granted, I'm massively biased, given that I'm one of the people who would stand to benefit from any extra cash being pushed towards the editorial side of the table!)
    See above.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also vBulletin 5 is complete crap. From what I experienced on other forum and what people say, vBulletin 5 is not even alpha stages. And extremely server side CPU intensive. All of them switch to another forum system after the disaster of vBulletin 5.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Confirmed, t'was us!

Confirmed

BZZZZZZZT

Confirmed

Confirmed

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Thanks for explaining that, didn't mean to start another war :D