1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What niggles do your system(s) have?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 20 Jun 2015.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think that every enthusiast has a little niggle or two that they put up with on the computers they run. Here's mine:

1) My main rig likes to hang during the Windows boot. I'm pretty sure that it's due to some weird USB issue as the lights on my HOTAS set either turn off or on exactly at the time it freezes. Sometimes the system boots without issue, other times it may take me five or six attempts to get into Windows. Once it's started it's all good though!

2) My laptop sometimes likes to change the time in the BIOS by -6 hours. I've tried looking into the issue but can't find a solution and it only takes a few seconds to right it.

3) The HTPC has to boot 'twice' - I think this is because I have an M.2 SSD as the boot disk.

So, anyone got any weird issues that they just put up with?

2. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Nothing that I can think of currently, but before my MB died and was replaced by Asus my PC used to spike to 100% on one core every couple of seconds when my old USB headset was plugged in.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

1) My ASUS X99 Deluxe/GTX980 system sometimes doesn't boot on 1st try after leaving it off for few hours in the night. Pressing the reset button solves this, system boots fine.
    2) My Ubuntu fileserver sometimes decides that root filesystem is not available at boot, throws kernel panic. Change nothing, reboot few times, suddenly works.

4. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

My PC with a fancy RAID controller in it sometimes doesnt turn off, windows shuts down but fans keep going and I need to hold the power button to turn the system off fully.

My laptop has sone issue with the <fn> buttons - when you turn it on you need to turn the backlight on the keyboard on, the wifi on, and unmute the sound. Every time...

I could probably fix all of these issues but I haven't got round to it.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Usually nothing - random unexplained gremlins are not something I tolerate for long, and have often spent many hours picking apart systems to isolate the cause of an occasional glitch.

I'm pretty happy with my current system, other than the fact it wouldn't switch on this very morning! Turns out the 24 pin connector wasn't seated properly when I changed my PSU last week. :rolleyes:

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Odd blue screen lately since going Sli 960.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

My 290 blackscreens, but only at idle.

Some weird power saving bug, something about it coming out of idle clocks and the volts not catching up in time so I have read.

Powercolor support gave me a bios that made all my games artifact, so found another bios online that seems to have 99% sorted it.

Still a odd problem though, can game fine so not a killer issue.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

One or more of my harddrives occasionally start vibrating at a resonant frequency with my case so the whole thing starts buzzing. I slap on the side usually stops it. Happens every few days.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nothing of not with my current PC but my old Q6600 rig wouldn't boot if the printer was connected and turned on... turn the printer off and it booted fine...

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Had a similar printer related issue with my older PC that would not boot if it was turned on for whatever reason. Epsom printer.

Current PC sometimes decides there's not 12gb of ram installed only 4gb which can be a but interesting when the program you want to run says you need more than this installed.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

same issue with the ASUS X99 Deluxe except I tracked down the problem of it not booting properly.

Its the USB connections, I have to remove around half of the USB cables then boot, other wise the machine hangs on boot.

Once machine is booted up then I can reconnect my midi keyboard, external devices.

At least I know what to do and can work around the issue but ideally ASUS product team will get a BIOS developed that supports more than half of the USB ports being connected to on cold start up.

I am more than happy other than that and can easily put up with this small inconvenience.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Every now and then bringing my PC out of sleep results in no display resulting in having to do a hard reset.

One of my mini itx pc's decides that the windows 10 preview install is no good making me have to reinstall which is really annoying when it is rarely used, really need to buy an proper OS for it.

13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

It's just so big. Might try smaller next time.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That's what she said
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, my system likes to randomly start humming with resonance every now and then and it can be really infuriating. If its not windows deciding to spin up a hard drive its not even using nor understand, its the case side fan.

15. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

My PC will occasionally start resonating as well - it's the fans in the top of the case resonating the top cover - placing something on the top (currently a DVD case but in the past I've also used a hole punch haha) stops that. Also sometimes it won't start up again when shut down unless the switch on the PSU is turned off for a while first... Also after I've logged into windows, the keyboard won't register for about 30 seconds but works fine before that to log in and after that. Other than that, all seems to be fine (touches wood)

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

My gaming rig never does anything out of the ordinary and never has, same with the workshop rig and the htpc the kitchen one will occasionally freeze up but that one is due to a complete re install and I'll likely do the upgrade to win 10 on that one

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The motherboard doesn't support custom fan profiles for 3 pin fans (only PWM). Its annoying because my favourite fans (GTs) are 3 pin only!

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I know, i think i saw your posts on [H]. Still, pressing the reset button is a quicker solution :D, having a Silverstone FT-05 bellow the desk, it would be annoying to remove and then replug all those cables.

19. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I've had many over the years, but the two I currently suffer are a weird message at boot which only lasts a fraction of a second and is related to a borked Acronis install, and very occasionally my rig boots to a blank desktop and is unresponsive, requiring a hard reset.

The former isn't an issue and the latter is rare enough for me not to worry about. Both are hangovers from cloning to my existing SSD I suspect.

20. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Never mind.