1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Wet-a-cade! a watercooled Raspberry Pi powered arcade machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gigahertz, 24 Apr 2016.

1. gigahertz

gigahertz What's a Dremel?

Project Wet-a-cade
    because who wouldn't want a watercooled arcade machine?

soo.. how do you start one of these?

Hello my name is Peter and this is my first build log! (that seems about right :thumb:)
    while its not my first build it is the first time i'm writing a log on one. the main reason to write a log this time is that i want to develop my writing skills as English is not my native language and i'm dyslexic so training always helps (so please forgive spelling errors). the second reason to write a build log on this project as opposed to my previous build is that this is not something i have seen anyone try before so i thought others might be interested to see it.
    my website is at gigahertz.dk if you are interested in my previous built

so first some bulletpoints on the build

quick note: im not affiliated with any of the shops/sites i have linked to, i just want to make it easier for people to find the products if they want to build something alike :thumb:

some thoughts on the build and why on earth im watercooling a Raspberry Pi
    so i had the Picade laying around semi done since the kickstarter but never got around to finish it. but not to long ago i decide to finish it after i saw a post on some site about RetroPie, so i thought i might as well use it since i have it. now why did i decide to go with water instead of a simple passive heatsink... well as i stated in the top "who wouldn't want a watercooled arcade machine?" :D fun aside, i like a build challenge and trying to fit a "full-size" watercooling system in to a relatively small case seemed like a challenge, oh yeah and after seeing posts about the Rasp Pi 3 nearly hitting a 100°C :jawdrop: if i were to ever watercool a Raspberry pi This would be the one. and after watching this video i knew what to do
    so enough of me typing lets get started! :dremel:

Update index:
    Update 1 Pretty pics!
    Update 2 Cables management is king

will be updating this as the log gets on

my website: gigahertz.dk

Last edited: 25 Apr 2016
  2. gigahertz

Update 1 of Project Wet-a-cade

Update 1
    of Project Wet-a-cade

first update will mainly consist of product pictures since it would not be a real build log without some pretty pictures :D

[​IMG]
    a box!

[​IMG]
    the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B fresh out of the box

[​IMG]
    quite happy with the way most of the ports are facing downwards as this will make
    cable management hopefully a bit easier later on

[​IMG]
    now here we have the main suspect behind the reason i'm throwing water at this build
    the Broadcom BCM2837 with a 64bit quad core ARM A53 processor on the inside

[​IMG]
    some of the 6mm barbed fitting G1/4 i will be using in this build...
    these turn out to be some Bi**hes later on

[​IMG]
    a bit of a teaser pic.. but the truth is that its the only decent picture i have of the case
    before i disassembled it to build this, sorry

[​IMG]
    the control board for the Picade which is essentially a highly modified keyboad
    for the various buttons and a build it audio amp for the speakers in the case

well thats Update 1 over, see you in the next one!

3. gigahertz

Update 2 of Project Wet-a-cade

Update 2
    of Project Wet-a-cade

Massive Cable upgrade!
    gotta love the look of clean cable mounting :D

[​IMG]
    So the Wiring loom that came with the Picade looks like this. it uses these crimp on thingies (i not know what they are called :p) i'm sure they where chosen with good intent. probably for ease of use and quick replacement of buttons. but it looked messy and some of the wires were already breaking off. so i decried to redo the wiring

[​IMG]
    the crimp on thingies :D

[​IMG]
    bad iphone picture... but here you can see how the wiring looks out of the box

[​IMG]
    bad iphone picture again... here you can see how the ground wire is daisy chained around to the different connectors

[​IMG]
    so i got to work with a soldering iron and some pre-cut 40cm black and white wires

[​IMG]
    i chose to solder the wires mostly for a cleaner look but also for the durability it provides

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    already looking alot better!

[​IMG]
    now just add a bit of heat shrink

[​IMG]
    now thats pretty! :D but wait.. whats that in the distance

[​IMG]
    much better!

[​IMG]
    i might love cable management a bit to much :geek:

[​IMG]
    now to secure the cables in the case. here i used a left over cable clamp from mdpc-x and some heat shrink to separate the ground from the signal wires

[​IMG]
    as i had to move the control board to better use the space available i used the old mounting point for the clamp. a quick test fit before i cut them to the right length and solder the tips for a more secure connection

[​IMG]
    :clap:

[​IMG]
    it might not be the most neat way to connect the ground wires but i think its alot prettier than the daisy chain method

[​IMG]
    now to connect the joystick! first i separate the wires

[​IMG]
    then i quick test fit be for i cut them to length. here i again used a cable clamp from mdpc-x and a available mounting point

[​IMG]
    then i solder the tips together with a bit of help from some electrical tape

[​IMG]
    now to connect them. i didn't make a big deal out of which port i connect them to as i can easily re-map buttons in RetroPie

[​IMG]
    this is how it looks from the back when the plate with the buttons is placed correctly. Neat!

[​IMG]
    then i wired the remaining 4 buttons (start,enter,select,esc) but i forgot to take a picture of the finished product... :duh: well.. then you will have to wait for a future update to see it :D

and that was Update 2! See you in the next one!
    feel free to leave any feedback or questions you might have :thumb:

My website gigahertz.dk

Last edited: 26 Apr 2016
  4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Fun project.