bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Oct 2005, 14:27   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Civilization IV Preview

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/..._4_prev/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 15:05   #2
cpemma
Ecky thump

cpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysis
Quote:
Firaxis promise that this will be the most accessible Civ yet.
If that means dumbed down so the mentally-highly-average can play soldiers, it loses the point. Civ 2 was the version, get to tanks first and then conquer the world.

Better graphics != Better game
Old 25th Oct 2005, 15:10   #3
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Its a common trend. They say its accessable, that means they want more profits so have slashed the intelligence and dedication requirements in favour of simplicity and easy rewards. The worlds turning into an FPS
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 15:33   #4
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks nice, but still not nice enough imo. They could easily implement some nice water effects with dx9 etc
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 16:16   #5
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
i remember playing civ on my amiga 500 for hours on end. It is truely one of the greatest game francises of all time.
I can wait for this to hit the shelves...

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 17:02   #6
DreamTheEndless
Gravity hates Bacon

DreamTheEndless has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow -

Too bad my pregnant fiance has a problem with me spending 20+ hours at a sitting playing video games..... She actually wants me to interact with her and help clean the house and such....

When was the last time I played civ? 94?
DreamTheEndless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 18:49   #7
Migishu
Multimodder

Migishu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Looks nice, but still not nice enough imo. They could easily implement some nice water effects with dx9 etc
Quote:
If you want to move to the most hardcore level, Firaxis are releasing the SDK for the game to would-be modders. This should mean that gamers can do pretty much anything with the game, short of changing the graphics engine and the network code.
Yeah, they could've done it themselves, but the games open for heavy customization

Either way, I want, now!
Migishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2005, 20:37   #8
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Might be worth a play, dunno. Civ2 was indeed an excellent game. It doesn't look like it'll rape my computer, but then again [insert phrase of choice for good computer to counteract previous comment] so I'll take some extra graphics for a lower framerate. And in any case, it's hardly an FPS so it doesn't need 30+fps at all times. Even Chaos Theory would let me get away with 15-20 on occasion, as it's more stealthy than go around and kill everyone.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2005, 03:19   #9
Wrigley1
Supermodder

Wrigley1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
YEAH!! I've been playing Civ2 on my Playstation for 4 years now! Time to upgrade! *does happy dance*
Old 26th Oct 2005, 14:55   #10
731|\|37
ESD Engineer in Training

731|\|37 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you can actualy endure civ on a playstation? Iv played starcraft on an n64, that was hell but wow.

RTS and the like do not mix with consoles

I found civ 3 slightly boring on the PC. not excited, but I admit it looks good
731|\|37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Oct 2005, 16:53   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migishu
Yeah, they could've done it themselves, but the games open for heavy customization

Either way, I want, now!
Not good enough imo. It's all well and good releasing an SDK to let others do the work for you :/ But if i spend my hard earned wonger on a game i want it to do what it should do, not let others make it instead. Anyway, it says you cant screw with the engine, an i doubt the engine supports some hardcore DX9 functions.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 01:36   #12
Wrigley1
Supermodder

Wrigley1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
you can actualy endure civ on a playstation?
Yeah, Civilization 2 on a playstation 1 wasn't great, but it was livable. The worst part was the theme music (duh du du du du duuuhh, do do do do dooo...). That almost drove me nuts.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:08   #13
LaughingJon
Supermodder

LaughingJon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
have had this on preorder since like August.. well looking forward to it lol.

hoping their idea of a "quick game" really is just a few hours rather than the days spent on all the others..
LaughingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 17:21   #14
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyanjezmck is a Super Spamming Saiyan
looks interesting - I have been wanting to find a new game which isn't yet another FPS...

PS - Typo page 2 para 2: "...This is your standard map editing fayre, wi... That should be 'fare' I believe. (fayre is psuedo-archaic)
Old 27th Oct 2005, 17:25   #15
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
if by nice you mean 'crappy' then yes
Ground Control 2 looks better than that and its a few years old now
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2005, 10:59   #16
Top Nurse
Anal Modder

Top Nurse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ohhhhh lala. I first played CIV on an AT IIRC. Can't wait as this game is truly addictive. It's even got warning signs on the box saying it is addictive.

Project: Feeding Frenzy
Top Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2005, 14:34   #17
Skutbag
Supermodder

Skutbag has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Changing to new Civic forms will have a dramatic effect on the character and success of your civilization. You'll be able to boost or cut productivity, wealth, and happiness, make choices to increase/decrease the spread of religion, and even affect your ability to produce and maintain a large standing army."

Alpha centauri anyone? Been there done that, but it's a dang good idea and leads to some interesting social engineering. Barbaric, tree hugging and warmongering? Or maybe a free market supported by a massive criminal organisation? (INSERT SOCIAL SATIRE HERE)
I'll take this opportunity to list some great games that may have missed your attention: Alpha Centauri, Max Payne 2, XCOM 1, Supreme Commander, a Rogue-alike of some description, Open Transport Tycoon, Psychonauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Homeworld 2. At least Google one- It'll be worth it.
Skutbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Oct 2005, 14:39   #18
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
cant wait to be frank, was playing civ3 only yesterday.....and now today...and probably tomorrow....dammit help me!
Old 28th Oct 2005, 23:59   #19
zoom314
Multimodder

zoom314 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well It looks interesting and yeah I started playin Civ way back on an Amiga 1000 too, So I can hardly wait, But I will as I have other interests that come first right now. I just love the blue emoticons here.
zoom314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Nov 2005, 21:10   #20
I_Slider_I
Multimodder

I_Slider_I has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be surprised if the game play stands up to Civilization 2. Civ 3 was gay, all the culture bull **** made it impossible to be a war mongering maniac. I hate getting cheaped out by AI players that can build units twice as fast, and end up winning on sheer mass alone, and not any actual strategy. Beef up the strategy of the enemies, allow more war mongering and you've got yourself a game. In Civ 2 all that mattered was expand as fast as you can and tech hard, while taking over a few smaller civilizations and you would have yourself an empire in no-time. In Civ 3 if you expanded to fast you ended up with WAY to many problems.
I_Slider_I is offline   Reply With Quote