1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Machinatrix Part 1 by PilouX

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 23 Nov 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

looking good

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Another gorgeous C3 mod? You spoil me bit-tech...

<A88>

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Impressive ;)

5. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Sounds easy enough to do by the way it's explained but....

Truly a pro working on that case. An artist of sorts.

6. .:ALOA:.

.:ALOA:. What's a Dremel?

belgium rules, he's hot

7. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Taken more than one idea from the orac^3 mod... but twisted it into his own interpretation so I can respect that. But c'mon pilouX your a master of the mod surely you can come up with your own idea's?!

8. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Not to sound completely unimpressed (thats really high quality work there), but its nothing super ultra mega new; it looks like a black and red Orac³ rather than chrome and green. Looks good though :)

9. Hackjedi

Hackjedi What's a Dremel?

that is one good looking ripoff :clap:

10. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Uh - I'm sure piloux is less then 20% done with this project - and, he said that:
    1. this was going to be a plexi case
    and
    2. he was going to use G-gnome's brilliant cable routing technic including a modded project box.....

At this stage, where all there is is a PSU and a naked almost unmodded case, yeah, it looks a little like the early stages of Orac3 - but, give him some time.

The early stages of an aligator fetus looks similar to the early stages of a human fetus, but that doesn't mean that ....... - oh nevermind - I hope I've made my point.

The guy is brilliant - give him a chance. Trust me, it will be worth it. (I believe I said something very similar in the BlackmesaII project log......)

11. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Need I say more :D He pwns.

12. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Thank you for saving me the time of making a similar point. Im sure he is very aware of Orac3 and what it looks like. Im sure he has no intention of making a red version of it either. At the beginning of his article you will have noticed the reference to the matrix trilogy meaning he already has different plans for this project.

I think it looks great so far and I enjoyed seeing some of the steps involved and how you went about them. Makes the project much more appreciated when you can see the actual time and work that goes into it.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I can't wait to see the finished mod - I always look forwards to PilouX's work.

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Im sure Piloux can see the similarities too - im just pointing out that as of yet I dont see anything being done new. I am looking forward to seeing what he does next, and what he has to bring to the modding table, but as of yet, im yet to be amazed.

(I have high expectations as you can see ;))

15. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

Sorry Roto - my post was *not directed to you specificly as Im aware you would be looking forward to some great progress just like me. However the comment above was more or less what prodded my reaction.

Someone that probably didnt actually read the article and understand that part 1 is nearly complete not the entire project would not understand that the early stages of any project can look like anything and end up totally different. Especially when the article mentions that certain elements would be used from other projects to work towards the finnished end. I wonder how many cases and projects were almost direct ripoffs of PilouX's Black Mesa and well known rusting look. I would regard a comment like the one above as merely an attempt for attention or just plain flaming/trolling. Not to mention not one bit constructive to this thread.

*edit

Last edited: 23 Nov 2005
  16. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

When Piloux made Dark Crystal, he took the method I used in vesperdeco to a whole new level and the community is better for it showing different perspecitives and techniques to related but different ends. How many people had "helpful suggestions and criticisms" when G-gnome finished Orac3? And when someone starts to make something similar it's a ripoff?

17. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

That's actually been looked into, and it turns out that all those pictures from the 1800s (I forget exactly when) showing various animal fetuses at various stages of development aren't all that acurate. It's been done with MRIs and such, and the fetuses are quite different.

But I digress. You've made your point.

As for the mod itself, it does look rather ORAC-esque. However, I think there's enough space in the acrylic-case-with-all-cables-hidden area for more than one really cool case.

18. Noggin2k1

Noggin2k1 What's a Dremel?

Tbh, for me, orac³ is the epitome of the perfect clear case, sure this will have many resemblances, but people have to get inspiration from somewhere! So far, congrats to PilouX for craftsmanship! :clap:

So far, looks like its evil, evil brother!.. And I want it!!! :brrr:

19. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Impressive workmanship. :thumb:

However, aside from the obivous orac similarities, acrylic seems an odd choice considering the theme. Those matrix robots are all metal and look organic which this mod certainly doesn't as yet. Will hold out for the coming installments to see whether my comments prove false, though.

20. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

I think that if he keeps to the very polished chrome look it may take away from the theme as I would picture more of a weathered blackened edges like obviously used metal that may be exposed to elements and seen better days. That would add a whole new feel if he keeps to that theme but then again I dont know whats comming next. These articles should not be done in parts lol.

Tags: Add Tags