bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Misc > General

Old 14th Jun 2002, 13:31   #1
Adam
Mod Master

Adam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Joining COAX cable (very dumb question)

<short version> How do you join 2 pieces of coaxial cable?</short version>

<long version> Moving my sky box from one room into another, need to extend the cable. I can't get to the dish to just put a new cable on because of where it is located. So what's the best way to join one piece of cable to another to extend it? Also, where is the best place to get satellite cable, I've tried all the shops around here and nowhere has any!
Old 14th Jun 2002, 13:36   #2
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Use two male plugs on both ends of the coax, and then you can buy an adapter which is a double ended female plug, so each male plug fits into both ends.

Slight loss of quality, however you could always just buy a new, longer cable.

/goes to get pics

RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2002, 13:49   #3
Adam
Mod Master

Any idea where I would buy these? Must be online, nowhere here sells them. I miss Tandy :cries:

Btw, can't just put a longer cable on because I can't get to the dish to attach it.
Old 14th Jun 2002, 20:58   #4
rK@NE
Rover's gonna get it...

rK@NE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You can get em at Maplins
rK@NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2002, 01:36   #5
felix the cat
Spaceman Spiff

felix the cat has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfelix the cat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
any decent hifi shop should sell em...
Old 15th Jun 2002, 02:11   #6
macroman
The One

macroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmacroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmacroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmacroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmacroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmacroman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The cable from the dish uses "F" connectors which are not the connectors in RTT pic. Do a search for "F" connectors on Maplin or RS. Or if you prefer, B&Q/Do-it-All sell them.
Old 15th Jun 2002, 22:57   #7
Forsaken
GameFaction.com

Forsaken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
B&Q also do the digi satellite cable too (well one of mine does)
Old 16th Jun 2002, 00:31   #8
Fly
inter arma silent leges

Fly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I make two or three cables like this up a day in maplin.

the parts you need are

2 x FU04 - Screw on F Connectors

1 x FE92 - F Double Female

however many metres you want of XS16 (Black) or XS17 (White)

Old 16th Jun 2002, 03:43   #9
felix the cat
Spaceman Spiff

felix the cat has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfelix the cat has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i used to sell these at work...
Old 16th Jun 2002, 11:46   #10
yodasarmpit
No longer the other Brett.

yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.yodasarmpit is definitely a rep cheat.
Try to get hold of CT100 cable as that is what they use to connect from the dish to the box , if you use ordinary coax from the likes of argos etc you will see a drop in picture quality.

If you do use the f connector from the dish be carefull not to move the dish as it only needs to be slightly out of alignment to loose signal quality.
Old 16th Jun 2002, 22:25   #11
Adam
Mod Master

Thanks fly, you've done all the work for me! I will try and get the proper satellite COAX but its a digital system and the signal quality is on 1 bar from max at the moment, so if it falls a couple of bars it wont make a difference to anything. My grandad in Spain uses it and his is on 2 bars quality + strength and the picture doesnt suffer from break up.
Old 16th Jun 2002, 23:07   #12
Fly
inter arma silent leges

Fly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the DremelFly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that is CT100, proper satellite cable BTW.
Old 16th Jun 2002, 23:55   #13
samuelellis
I Mod, Therefore I Own

samuelellis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i guess i lucked out when i wired up the old anologue system in my room by fnding 500m of sattelite cable in our garage with all the pieces, jsut long enough to run the dish from our garage all the way from one end of the garden, to my wall, up & in my room(guess it pays to have a horder as a dad)
Old 17th Jun 2002, 00:00   #14
samuelellis
I Mod, Therefore I Own

samuelellis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally posted by yodasarmpit
Try to get hold of CT100 cable as that is what they use to connect from the dish to the box , if you use ordinary coax from the likes of argos etc you will see a drop in picture quality.

If you do use the f connector from the dish be carefull not to move the dish as it only needs to be slightly out of alignment to loose signal quality.

that is more true with digital systems as on anologue if you could put up with the odd sparkalie (thats a technical term ) on some of the weaker broadcasting channels then you did not have to be as exact but as digital uses a smaller dish & you ether get a good pic or no pic you hreally have to be precise but if you want to track down one of the old style dishes & use that with your lnb you can set a better signal as it has a wider catch.
Old 17th Jun 2002, 22:05   #15
GiGo
VX mad

GiGo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wilko will sell um. Very cheap as well. less than a 1 for 3 connectors.
:[M3N-HT Deluxe/HDMI]:[AMD64 Dual Core 6000]:[2gb Corsier PC8000]:[3x6800GT 256mb @ 19" VX912 & 2xVP920 & 15"LCD 13" ELO TouchScreen & 17" CRT]::[nVidia 780a @ 17"CRT & 100" HD Projector]:[3xMaxtor 250gb]:[3xMaxtor 250gb]:[3xNEC 16xDVD-RW]:[16x 5Disc Mulitchanger]::[2xSeagate 200gb-100mb-NAS+4xHitachi 1TB-1gb-NAS +4xHitachi 1TB-1gb-NAS]::[4xSeagate 500gb-FILESSERVER-Dual Gigabit]:
GiGo is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode