bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Jan 2006, 16:50   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
ATI Radeon X1900 family

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...ossfire/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:12   #2
crayfish
Amazing scenes!

crayfish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
First reply

Looks like ATi pwnage from here on in!
crayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:13   #3
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow.

I want I want I want.

Shame it'll clear by entire student loan getting two of those for crossfire - not to mention the fact that I'll need a new motherboard!! Damn!! I know what I'm now saving for
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:17   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
hmmz.. i rather wait for the first dx10 card...
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:18   #5
thetraindriver
What's a Dremel?

thetraindriver has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
These gonna be available in AGP?... or maybe PCI?
thetraindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:23   #6
rupbert
Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan
hmmz.. i rather wait for the first dx10 card...
That will be quite some wait.
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:23   #7
Leeum
Mod Master

Leeum has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like ATi are back in the game!
Leeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:25   #8
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
At a first glance, you would be right to think that the Radeon X1900XTX reference card is physically the same as the Radeon X1800XT reference card.
does this mean the HSF fittings are the same between them? i hope so

Quote:
The MSRP is US$549 for the 512MB X1900 XT and US$649 X1900 XTX. In the UK, the pricing is 349 and 399 respectively, but this is excluding VAT. By the time you add Gordon Brown's 17.5% you're looking at 411.19 and 469.94.
scan have the XT for 328+vat

1 more thing, is there going to be an x1900xl? if so how's it gonig to differ, just lower clocks again or less pixel wotsits
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:28   #9
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish
does this mean the HSF fittings are the same between them? i hope so
yes, they're the same

Quote:
scan have the XT for 328+vat

1 more thing, is there going to be an x1900xl? if so how's it gonig to differ, just lower clocks again or less pixel wotsits
I don't think so, there'll be an All-In-Wonder with lower clocks and a single slot cooler though.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:33   #10
rupbert
Hypermodder

Bigz is there any indication as to when the 7900 series will be released? I think at CEBIT it claimed sometime around March?
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:33   #11
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd think we'll see it before CeBit. However, they've got to improve the image quality if they're going to compete through and through.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:35   #12
rupbert
Hypermodder

I assume ATIs release of the x1900 has forced Nvidia to bring the release forward?

Would be interesting to see x1900 vx 7900...

Quote:
However, they've got to improve the image quality if they're going to compete through and through.
Do you mean in terms of actual noticable image fidelity, or framerate performance (I assume you are talking specfically about AA?)
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:35   #13
LoneArchon
Supermodder

LoneArchon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't the new nvidia card coming out very soon G71 i think it was. The X1900 family looks nice and will hopefully drive prices of the older models down and then maybe i can get a new graphic card without spendin a arm and a leg.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:37   #14
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good review, guys

I wondered when R520 was launched whether the completely new architecture, once matured, would come back to bite NV in the ass - apparently it has, because they will have to drastically increase clock speeds to compete here. I want to see a totally new design from the green corner tbh.

It is nice to see ATi claiming back the market because, of course, it means NVIDIA have to come up with something faster... only 5 months after I bought my 256MB GTX, though

LoneArchon: G71 is the 7900 card.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:38   #15
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
yes, they're the same
woot can keep my wb then
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
I don't think so, there'll be an All-In-Wonder with lower clocks and a single slot cooler though.
noes
390 is a bit on the high side, i was hoping for an xl type one i could douse in water and clock the crap out of
not interesed in AiW, be the same/more expensive and have no need for tv tuner stuff

might just have to grab one of those XTs off scan
anyone want to lend me 400?
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 17:45   #16
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
I assume ATIs release of the x1900 has forced Nvidia to bring the release forward?

Would be interesting to see x1900 vx 7900...
We'll have that on the day that the card is released

Quote:
Do you mean in terms of actual noticable image fidelity, or framerate performance (I assume you are talking specfically about AA?)
Nope, we're talking about the texture filtering - ATI's texture filtering and anisotropic filtering quality is in another league and with X1900 series, it's actually useable.

Check on this page and the page after it covers anisotropic filtering quality - the main focus should be the 'highest' setting: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...x1800xl/5.html

ATI: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_imag...0xl-16hqaf.jpg

NVIDIA: http://www.bit-tech.net/content_imag...0gt-16afhq.jpg

look at the ground
Old 24th Jan 2006, 18:28   #17
Aphex_
Minimodder

Aphex_ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i don't suppouse there is any word on the head room for overclocking, assumedly if the xtx uses the same hsf then the xt should be able to be pushed up towards its speeds, any word on the ram [chip codes] as well?

i'm sure ppl with a watercooling system are drooling at this as if the card doesn't use high gear on the stock hsf then there must be some room left.

are any aib's likely to sel pre-overclocked btw?
Aphex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 18:58   #18
[sinz]
69 Dude!!

[sinz] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm a bit confused. For a crossfire setup, one would use a regular X1900XTX and then for the second card you'd use the X1900 CrossFire edition? e.g. you don't use two of the same card in a Crossfire configuration?
[sinz] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2006, 19:00   #19
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex_
i don't suppouse there is any word on the head room for overclocking, assumedly if the xtx uses the same hsf then the xt should be able to be pushed up towards its speeds, any word on the ram [chip codes] as well?
I forgot to add that in

The Radeon X1900XTX has 1.1ns DRAMs (1800MHz), while the X1900 CrossFire Edition has 1.2ns DRAMs (1650MHz)

Quote:
i'm sure ppl with a watercooling system are drooling at this as if the card doesn't use high gear on the stock hsf then there must be some room left.

are any aib's likely to sel pre-overclocked btw?
I'd estimate that there will be pre-overclocked cards soon.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 19:04   #20
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by [sinz]
I'm a bit confused. For a crossfire setup, one would use a regular X1900XTX and then for the second card you'd use the X1900 CrossFire edition? e.g. you don't use two of the same card in a Crossfire configuration?
For high-end CrossFire setups (X1800 and X1900), you need an X1x00 CrossFire Edition card and a standard CrossFire ready Radeon X1x00-series card. In simple terms, the CrossFire Edition card does some clever stuff and makes the cards work together.

For Radeon X1600/X1300, you can use two of the same cards and don't need a CrossFire Edition card.

NVIDIA's SLI technology uses cards with the same chipsets (bios versions/board manufacturers and clock speeds can differ). For example, you can put two 7800 GTX 256 cards together, but not a 7800 GTX 256 and a 7800 GTX 512.