bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jan 2006, 14:18   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Antec P180 low-noise case

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/2006...ec_p180/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 14:41   #2
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Antec cases > * as far as im concerned
i would love a P180 with P160 internals, really nto a fan of the bottom psu type thing
p160 is great on the inside but its pretty ugleh
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 14:50   #3
Kameleon
is watching you...

Kameleon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
The case comes in silver and black only, and Antec has not expressed any interest in producing other colors.
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/p180.html

A highly sexy version in all black, specially made for SPCR. Wish we could get it over here

Great review though dude, I really like your style
Kameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:02   #4
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally, I think the silver version looks quite a bit better then the black one, but I guess thats just me. I'd consider this case now, but only for a secondary system(it does sound rather spiffy as an HTPC case), especially because of the svelte looks and the lack of noise, even when loaded with high end gear. However its now totaly off the list for my next gaming PC, in favour of the CM stacker, since the cabling was obviously an issue.

But yeah, was a top review, I too, really liked the style of it. If I have one complaint, its that, for a case review, pictures that you can click to expand in a new page are really really helpfull, that might be outta the question because of bandwidth requirements, but its usefull, because it allows you to really check out all the details that are being described.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:11   #5
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameleon
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/p180.html

A highly sexy version in all black, specially made for SPCR. Wish we could get it over here

Great review though dude, I really like your style
Exclusive to SPCR though, Antec have officially informed me they will not make it further or release that elsewhere... I wish they WOULD make it in other colors, but then again that's what paint is for, isn't it?

And thanks for the compliment. If there's something you guys want to see different out of my reviews, speak now! I will always be looking at things from the HTPC angle, as that's my focus on the site
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:15   #6
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I'd like it if case reviews also mentioned modding possiblities in a case, especially how sutible it would be for watercooling.

I do like the look of this case, but it does seem a little bit cramped. Guess it would be easy enough to hang a 120mm radiator on the back, but is there enough room for a res and and pump and stuff to fit somewhere inside the case?
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:17   #7
Highland3r
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Did you have any issues with ATX cable length at all?
Tempted by one of these along with an S12 600w PSU, but can't get a straight answer as to wether the cable will reach
Highland3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:26   #8
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Umm, is this not it here or am i missing something?
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:28   #9
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

@Phuzz:
Yes, assuming you do not need one or the other hard drive bay...they would honestly require removal to fit watercooling comfortably.

@Highland3r:
No, I had no problems with it *reaching*. Navigating to get it there was another matter, as you can tell...but I would definitely say go with an S12 PSU, as that coupled with this case really quiets things down. There is no problem with cable length, it just makes a mess...
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:30   #10
Kameleon
is watching you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek
Umm, is this not it here or am i missing something?
Well paint my face green and call me a watermelon, so it is
Old 25th Jan 2006, 15:40   #11
Highland3r
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Well paint my face green and call me a watermelon, so it is

Ebuyer sell em too
*orders*
Highland3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 16:01   #12
fev
Industry Fallout

fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
dammit i need to sell my shuttle to fund my new computer.... this case would go perfect DAMN IT
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:03   #13
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
@Phuzz:
Yes, assuming you do not need one or the other hard drive bay...they would honestly require removal to fit watercooling comfortably.
ah, cheers, that's the sort of thing I'm looking for in a new case, and hence in a case review
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:18   #14
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Having built a pc in one of these I don't recomend them, for the price you can get much better alu cases with less space for hard disks as the antec case can take about 10! and this just makes it difficult to fit anything else in.
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:31   #15
Kameleon
is watching you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
Having built a pc in one of these I don't recomend them, for the price you can get much better alu cases with less space for hard disks as the antec case can take about 10! and this just makes it difficult to fit anything else in.
Hang on, lots of space for hard drives is a bad thing?
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:40   #16
Will
Beware the judderman...

Will has yet to learn the way of the DremelWill has yet to learn the way of the DremelWill has yet to learn the way of the DremelWill has yet to learn the way of the DremelWill has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice review, very thorough

I think the cable mess is something inherent to these compartmentalised designs...seems like such a good idea, but routing the cables through to each section proves troublesome (the YY cube I used to have was a nightmare for cable management, was such a mess and the hole through which cables could be passed was far too small ).

A compartmentalised design would work well if the power supply was designed with wires of the right lengths to go exactly where they are needed, and if there were conduits through which they could easily be routed...but that'd need a power supply to be designed around the case a lot more and I can't see that happening due to cost.

Some people are like slinkies. No good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:46   #17
whisperwolf
I *am* a Dremel

whisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysis
what would be nice is if these compartment type cases had an inbuilt wire system. so you plugged your power supply into sockets right next to the PSU and the case had the wires pre routed to were they were needed.

My Flickr
whisperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:48   #18
Cavedweller
Minimodder

Cavedweller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I too would very much like to buy this case and fit watercooling in it.

I would imagine that if you loose the beefy 38mm (thickness) fan in the bottom you could fit a radiator there. Airflow there should be sufficient to cool it without a fan, or am i dreamin?

Even if i am, I'd imagine you could fit both radiator and a normal 120mm fan on each side of the bracket in the bottom, if one really wanted to.

[edit] Hey, i _own_ a dremel !!

Last edited by Cavedweller; 25th Jan 2006 at 17:51. Reason: adding
Cavedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2006, 17:55   #19
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavedweller
I too would very much like to buy this case and fit watercooling in it.

I would imagine that if you loose the beefy 38mm (thickness) fan in the bottom you could fit a radiator there. Airflow there should be sufficient to cool it without a fan, or am i dreamin?
Actually, if you didn't need the fan ON the rad, you could fit the rad where the fan is and put a 120 in the front of the case...there's airflow, I'm not sure if it would be sufficient though without not using the lower hard drive bays.
Old 25th Jan 2006, 18:12   #20
Techno-Dann
Disgruntled kumquat

Techno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the DremelTechno-Dann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's no space for another fan in the front of the lower compartment. The middle bracket is the only place for one.

One gripe I have with the case: The case was designed with the Antec Phantom PSUs in mind, but there is no space between the front of a Phantom 500 and the middle fan. Cable routing around that combination is very, very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland3r
Did you have any issues with ATX cable length at all?
On most motherboards (I put ASUS motherboards in this case all the time), the 24-pin ATX power connector reaches just fine. The 4-pin 12v connector on most PSUs won't reach all the way to the top of the case, so you'll probably need an extender for that.
Techno-Dann is offline   Reply With Quote