bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:22   #2
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
... and Conore, Merom, and Woodcrest

No mention on the 128 bit SSE registers that allow single clock cycle SSE instruction execution? Or the 4 megs L2 shared between the two cores without partitions?
Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:33   #3
WilHarris
Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoSequence
... and Conore, Merom, and Woodcrest

No mention on the 128 bit SSE registers that allow single clock cycle SSE instruction execution? Or the 4 megs L2 shared between the two cores without partitions?

"It adds enhancements to SSE3, Intel's library of multimedia instructions, that will result in faster multimedia performance."

?
WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:37   #4
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll hold judgement till the reviews hit, but it looks promising. I wouldn't say no to some quad-core lovin' in my desktop.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:41   #5
Kasrkin Guard
Multimodder

Kasrkin Guard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just like to point out that the second news bit, the link directs to the very same page rather than to this thread.

Anyhow, it sounds promising. Although I am waiting to see how it all stacks against the competition.

Last edited by Kasrkin Guard; 7th Mar 2006 at 18:49.
Kasrkin Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:44   #6
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilHarris
"It adds enhancements to SSE3, Intel's library of multimedia instructions, that will result in faster multimedia performance."

?
But thats completely vague, and theres no information on whether or not hes talking about just plain old SSE, or all three of the SSE instruction sets.
Old 7th Mar 2006, 18:46   #7
Sherk
Multimodder

Sherk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I wonder when 4 core processors will be available, it sounds like sweet technology.
Old 7th Mar 2006, 19:23   #8
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quad core sounds like it will be interesting, but you never know until there are real reviews.
Old 7th Mar 2006, 20:16   #9
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by IP thing
He also delivered an interesting statistic: that XML traffic will exceed any other type of web traffic in 2007, thanks to its pivotal role at the centre of a new generation of web services
Uhh... I think that should read "XML-initiated traffic" to be a bit more accurate. Surely the feeds themselves are pretty low-bandwidth. I'm sure that's what he meant, but there's a pretty significant difference.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 21:22   #10
Veles
DUR HUR

Veles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the DremelVeles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Applications like the new Excel include support for threading, meaning that a dual-core machine will race through complex mathmatical calculations far faster than a single-core machine.
Since when can excel do complex mathematical calculations?

Sounds interesting though, looks like intel are really upping the game to win over against AMD, only time will tell I suppose. But saying alot of programs down't even support multiple threads I think this is a bit of overkill untill the market gets more multithreaded whatsits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod View Post
spam gangsters might as well tap into all those machines for their zombie networks.
Veles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 21:32   #11
gpw111
Multimodder

gpw111 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
have intel decided to stop increasing clock speeds then or will they still be able ramp them up due to more efficient architectures and the like, resulting in less power consumption?
gpw111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 22:35   #12
ychamp
Minimodder

ychamp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713
nice
but i'll wait for am2 first
ychamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 22:53   #13
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

I doubt Intel will get far with their move to drop ATX support; 99.99999% of the motherboard market (that which isnt proprietary) is still ATX. Who thinks people are going to dump such a well established (and perfectly acceptable) form factor so quickly?

Id give it two or three years before anything really starts to take shape for a true BTX transission in the general market.
Old 7th Mar 2006, 22:57   #14
teamtd11
*Custom User Title*

teamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelteamtd11 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what is wrong with ATX???
teamtd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 23:06   #15
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamtd11
what is wrong with ATX???
That is what I was wondering. You have a perfectly fine standard that has been around for how many years now, and suddenly it isnt good anymore. If anyone can show me solid advantages to btx and solid disadvantages to ATX then that could change my mind.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 23:15   #16
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A nanoBTX machine would be pretty cool though!
I'd love to have something with the power of Conroe and Merom in the size of a mac mini (and not a mac!).

It'll be interesting to see how AMD respond. Given Intel own a large percentage of the market and when they say 'jump' that's exactly what companies like Dell do. If AMD wants to be in with a chance of taking over some of Intels business they are going to need to compete head on with this. I can't see Dell making both BTX and ATX form factor cases just to satisfy AMD.
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 23:16   #17
mattthegamer463
Mod Master

mattthegamer463 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't really care for BTX, it seems like they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. What I'm worried about is the move to SSF cases.

"The trend, Peter told us, was towards smaller desktops. Some preliminary research numbers suggest that sales of small form factor machines will be double sales of standard tower machines by 2009."

If towers go extinct, it'l be a lot harder to mod some crappy little Dell buisness computer. Well, even if they do go extinct, we could always just make our own. Canniblize drive chassis and HDD racks from old computers, and make our own cases in whatever form factor they have by then.
Lian-Li PC7: C2D E6600, XFX 8800GTS 640MB, Corsair 2GB PC6400, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, EVGA 680i SLi, OCZ 850W
mattthegamer463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2006, 23:27   #18
fev
Industry Fallout

fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!fev - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek
..... I can't see Dell making both BTX and ATX form factor cases just to satisfy AMD.
good thing dell don't make AMD based computers then eh?
Old 7th Mar 2006, 23:51   #19
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
After a little bit of looking around... I have come to the conclusion that in the non oem world btx wouldnt be as good as ATX. I think this because the layout of the case and the position of the components (look for the ultimate motherboard design in hardware). The processor is positioned farthest from the back of the case with the northbridge, integrated graphics (shudder) and then the outside vent on the back. For those of us who have a nice looking hs/fan or like passive cooled power supplies it wont work. The CPU hs is ducted (under a shroud) right out the back cooling the devices on its way out, this is pointless for those with out onboard graphics (shudder) and have a heatpipe cooled northbridge. Also in my case I have a 120 sucking air right off the CPU hs and right out the case, it works great. For the passively cooled power supply, the ps is mounted on the bottom of the case, news flash HEAT RISES, even for a regular fan cooled ps you still get heat rising.

Now Im not completely agianst btx, but It wont look or work good for a modded pc. I could see the advantage for watercooling but its not big enough. In an oem pc this would work out because they run integrated graphice (shudder) and it would probably reduce noise for the cheapest solution.

NOTE: This is all based off of information I found on a google search. Take note that not all of the information on the internet is true. I probably will revise this later.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2006, 00:02   #20
Gman22
Multimodder

Gman22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek
... I can't see Dell making both BTX and ATX form factor cases just to satisfy AMD.
Isn't it up to the motherboard manufacturer to make the motherboard ATX or BTX compliant? The CPU will still fit. How does this fall on AMD's shoulder's?
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote