1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News IDF: Day one coverage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Mar 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

... and Conore, Merom, and Woodcrest :D

No mention on the 128 bit SSE registers that allow single clock cycle SSE instruction execution? Or the 4 megs L2 shared between the two cores without partitions?

3. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

"It adds enhancements to SSE3, Intel's library of multimedia instructions, that will result in faster multimedia performance."

?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'll hold judgement till the reviews hit, but it looks promising. I wouldn't say no to some quad-core lovin' in my desktop.

5. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

Just like to point out that the second news bit, the link directs to the very same page rather than to this thread.

Anyhow, it sounds promising. Although I am waiting to see how it all stacks against the competition.

Last edited: 7 Mar 2006
  6. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

But thats completely vague, and theres no information on whether or not hes talking about just plain old SSE, or all three of the SSE instruction sets.

7. Sherk

Sherk What's a Dremel?

I wonder when 4 core processors will be available, it sounds like sweet technology.

8. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Quad core sounds like it will be interesting, but you never know until there are real reviews.

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Uhh... I think that should read "XML-initiated traffic" to be a bit more accurate. Surely the feeds themselves are pretty low-bandwidth. I'm sure that's what he meant, but there's a pretty significant difference.

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Since when can excel do complex mathematical calculations?

Sounds interesting though, looks like intel are really upping the game to win over against AMD, only time will tell I suppose. But saying alot of programs down't even support multiple threads I think this is a bit of overkill untill the market gets more multithreaded whatsits.

11. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

have intel decided to stop increasing clock speeds then or will they still be able ramp them up due to more efficient architectures and the like, resulting in less power consumption?

12. ychamp

ychamp What's a Dremel?

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I doubt Intel will get far with their move to drop ATX support; 99.99999% of the motherboard market (that which isnt proprietary) is still ATX. Who thinks people are going to dump such a well established (and perfectly acceptable) form factor so quickly?

Id give it two or three years before anything really starts to take shape for a true BTX transission in the general market.

14. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

what is wrong with ATX???

15. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

That is what I was wondering. You have a perfectly fine standard that has been around for how many years now, and suddenly it isnt good anymore. If anyone can show me solid advantages to btx and solid disadvantages to ATX then that could change my mind.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

A nanoBTX machine would be pretty cool though!
    I'd love to have something with the power of Conroe and Merom in the size of a mac mini (and not a mac!).

It'll be interesting to see how AMD respond. Given Intel own a large percentage of the market and when they say 'jump' that's exactly what companies like Dell do. If AMD wants to be in with a chance of taking over some of Intels business they are going to need to compete head on with this. I can't see Dell making both BTX and ATX form factor cases just to satisfy AMD.

17. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I don't really care for BTX, it seems like they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. What I'm worried about is the move to SSF cases.

"The trend, Peter told us, was towards smaller desktops. Some preliminary research numbers suggest that sales of small form factor machines will be double sales of standard tower machines by 2009."

If towers go extinct, it'l be a lot harder to mod some crappy little Dell buisness computer. Well, even if they do go extinct, we could always just make our own. Canniblize drive chassis and HDD racks from old computers, and make our own cases in whatever form factor they have by then.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout

good thing dell don't make AMD based computers then eh?

19. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

After a little bit of looking around... I have come to the conclusion that in the non oem world btx wouldnt be as good as ATX. I think this because the layout of the case and the position of the components (look for the ultimate motherboard design in hardware). The processor is positioned farthest from the back of the case with the northbridge, integrated graphics (shudder) and then the outside vent on the back. For those of us who have a nice looking hs/fan or like passive cooled power supplies it wont work. The CPU hs is ducted (under a shroud) right out the back cooling the devices on its way out, this is pointless for those with out onboard graphics (shudder) and have a heatpipe cooled northbridge. Also in my case I have a 120 sucking air right off the CPU hs and right out the case, it works great. For the passively cooled power supply, the ps is mounted on the bottom of the case, news flash HEAT RISES, even for a regular fan cooled ps you still get heat rising.

Now Im not completely agianst btx, but It wont look or work good for a modded pc. I could see the advantage for watercooling but its not big enough. In an oem pc this would work out because they run integrated graphice (shudder) and it would probably reduce noise for the cheapest solution.

NOTE: This is all based off of information I found on a google search. Take note that not all of the information on the internet is true. I probably will revise this later.

20. Gman22

Gman22 What's a Dremel?

Isn't it up to the motherboard manufacturer to make the motherboard ATX or BTX compliant? The CPU will still fit. How does this fall on AMD's shoulder's?

Tags: Add Tags