1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squirrel's may be next innovation in cellular technology!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Malvolio, 10 Mar 2006.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Current mobile communication devices do not grab our attention in a socially appropriate way. They could be disrespectful of ongoing social activity such as an important meeting or private dinner. To improve on this, I have built the Cellular Squirrel, a system where the agent that controls my cellphone is embodied in a small portable animatronic device, as a personal 'companion' for the user. This embodiment is able to use the same subtle but still public non-verbal cues to get our attention and interrupt us like humans would do (like eye gaze and small gestures), instead of ringing or vibration. The user can whisper and listen to her squirrel, receiving and replying to voice instant messages. If the user wishes, she can also bypass the Intermediary altogether and get into a synchronous voice communication with the caller by simply talking to the embodiment.

The Cellular Squirrel is the latest prototype of an Autonomous Interactive Intermediary, which is a software and robotic agent that helps the user manage her mobile communication channels. This is my dissertation project, built when I was part of the Speech Interface Group, headed by Chris Schmandt, at MIT's Media Lab.

Extremely cool stuff. I would love to have a small furry animal sitting on my counter that answers my calls for me! What do you think though? Is this going to be something useful in everyday life, or will it just be another one of those things that slightly perks a couple peoples interest, maybe creates a lukewarm off-shoot product then fades from public view in it's entirety within a couple months of it's inception?

I want one. They're so cute!

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What I want is one ythat detects when i'm doing somthing I really don't want to do and calls me and gives me an excuse to do somthing else :D

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If your mobile has an alarm function, just set it before the meeting and pretend the chime is an incoming call. :D

That squirrel is freaky...

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Do you not have one? Had mine for ages!!
    [​IMG]

5. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Reminds me of the Persocon in Chobits, especially the little 'portable' model, Sumomo.

The only thing left really is Fembots.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh great, first phone animals now sex dolls???

7. Cthippo

Face it, it would be a HUGE market. All tey have to do is make it better than the current one handed solution and they have a winner!

Of course, it's really ging to hurt when your cybernetic sex doll leaves you for someone with a bigger hard drive.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Of course it will be. I mean, the FIRST THING they do when they invent "fembots" is to give em huge tits and a hole between the legs. All they've then got to do is make noises and be easily cleanable and they will sell like hot cakes.

9. Cthippo

Sounds good, I'd buy one! :thumb:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Imagine the modding possibilities... er, actually, don't. :worried:

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump