Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Oled is very promising.
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 13:23   #4
Enforcer
Multimodder

Enforcer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wheres the articles on the looking ahead stuff. Im intrested in seeing this coffee table and desksize display!
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 13:42   #5
N/A
Multimodder

N/A has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
why waste a perfectly good 17" LCD monitor? or was it already broken?

because if it was a perfectly good 17" monitor it would have been a waste, a broken 15" or a broken 17" would seem much less "wasteful"

anyways, I hope it was a broken 17" LCD
N/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 13:48   #6
rupbert
Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A

because if it was a perfectly good 17" monitor it would have been a waste, a broken 15" or a broken 17" would seem much less "wasteful"

Quote:
...thanks to the guys at Viewsonic for giving us a dead unit from their stock to mutilate.
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 14:14   #7
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good article, guys; well-written and explanatory. I've read a lot about how they work but never actually seen a proper disassembly before - very interesting stuff

P.S: It's Pythagoras for the CRT pixel calculations and there's a typo in the Future section: "Arguably, there is not much of a future a all for CRT technology"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr4nk
Nice article, very very helpful, now take a CRT apart
Not advisable unless you like the feeling of 30,000V across you

Last edited by hitman012; 20th Mar 2006 at 14:28.
hitman012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 14:43   #8
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Good read, nice to see another dead LCD in the world too

I am curious though, when are we likely to see some sort of LED or OLED panel catch up with a CRT in terms of overall image quality? This isn't me being fanboyish(oh ok, maybe a little, but humour me), I'm just curious when I'll actually be able to dump the trinitron in favour of something better. Will it happen with LCD, or, is it likely to happen only once one of the new tech's like SED or OLED gets fully developed as the primary display technology of the world?
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 15:25   #9
sadffffff
Hypermodder

sadffffff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman012
Good article, guys; well-written and explanatory. I've read a lot about how they work but never actually seen a proper disassembly before - very interesting stuff

P.S: It's Pythagoras for the CRT pixel calculations and there's a typo in the Future section: "Arguably, there is not much of a future a all for CRT technology"

pssh, whatever, wussies. i cant count the number of crt monitors ive fixed. never been shocked once.

...i get the feeling im going to die at an early age
sadffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 15:29   #10
oasked
Stuck in the Mud

oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.oasked is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice article.

Personally, I couldn't notice any colour difference between good 6bit panels (TN panels) and 8bit panels.
What I did notice though, was the massive difference in response time between the monitors with 6bit and 8bit panels, when I was choosing a new monitor in February last year (when the first 8ms monitors came out).

Gaming on a monitor with ghosting was horrible, and I had to ditch the monitor because of it (1st-gen Dell 1905FP - 20ms, 8bit panel). I quickly replaced it with a Benq FP937S+ (8ms, DVI, 6bit TN panel) and I haven't looked back since!

Now that pretty much all panels are fast (i.e. under 12ms), ghosting is no longer an issue.
Old 20th Mar 2006, 16:57   #11
FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!FuzzyOne - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Bit got Digged http://digg.com/hardware/LCD_monitor...lay_technology
♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
FuzzyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 17:28   #12
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good article, although you could have explained the difference between FPS and refresh rate, which a lot of people seem to get confused.
Old 20th Mar 2006, 17:29   #13
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A

Don't worry - it was kindly donated for the purposes of this article by our friends at ViewSonic: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...rs_work/5.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 18:44   #14
qipod
What's a Dremel?

qipod has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting article.

However, I'm still confused by the dot pitch conversions. For example, why a DP of 1 converts to 0.87 horizontal dot gap. Similarly, shouldn't the horizontal pixels be calculated by dividing, not multiplying, ie 401mm horizontal viewable screen area /divided/ by 0.228 is 1758?

Also, in the section starting with the heading LCD, the third paragraph introduces TFT with no explanation as to what TFTs are (Thin Film Transisters? But what are they?):

LCD
Flat panel monitors...

LCD panels are fairly simple to understand...

The actual image on a TFT is made up of a matrix of pixels. Unlike with CRTs...

Are LCD and TFT interchangeably useable with reference to displays? How about an article about Plasma Displays?
qipod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 19:53   #15
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by qipod
However, I'm still confused by the dot pitch conversions. For example, why a DP of 1 converts to 0.87 horizontal dot gap.
In the image you can see that, if you take any three red phosphors, you may form an equilateral triangle with them.

By definition, an equilateral triangle is composed of three 60 angles. If you assume that the dot pitch is 1, as Wil has, then the horizontal component of any of these three angles will be 1(sin 60), which comes in at around 0.867. Now we've got this ratio, you can multiply the actual dot pitch (0.26mm) by 0.87 to get the horizontal dot pitch. He could just as easily have done 0.26(sin 60).

Quote:
Similarly, shouldn't the horizontal pixels be calculated by dividing, not multiplying, ie 401mm horizontal viewable screen area /divided/ by 0.228 is 1758?
I think that's a mistake - it'll be corrected soon

Quote:
Also, in the section starting with the heading LCD, the third paragraph introduces TFT with no explanation as to what TFTs are (Thin Film Transisters? But what are they?):
TFTs are a type of active matrix LCD. Unlike the LCD in, say, your calculator or digital watch, it does not have signal wires to apply a voltage across each individual cell (pixel element). That would require many millions of wires, which would be impractical.

Instead of this method, the pixels were arranged in a grid; a cell is activated by applying a voltage to the appropriate row and column. This used to be done by applying a negative voltage to one and a positive voltage to the other, which resulted in the cross-point of the two having a high PD across it, meaning it switched.

However, technology has moved on now to using transistors positioned on glass (hence TFT), which is very complicated but allows for finer image quality and better response time.

Quote:
Are LCD and TFT interchangeably useable with reference to displays?
Pretty much - you'll find it difficult to locate an LCD monitor that isn't a TFT.

Hope this clears it up for you

Last edited by hitman012; 21st Mar 2006 at 00:21.
hitman012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 21:42   #16
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman012
Normally you would let the monitor sit for a few hours unplugged to let the high voltage side drain. And if you dont let it sit then you only use 1 hand to work on it, that way the 30k dosent go through your heart and kill you.

Good article, Im still not giving up my CRT yet.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 21:45   #17
WilHarris
Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Similarly, shouldn't the horizontal pixels be calculated by dividing, not multiplying, ie 401mm horizontal viewable screen area /divided/ by 0.228 is 1758?

FIXD.
WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 21:57   #18
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great article, Wil - I had forgotten some of that stuff

Honestly, the only way to get good image quality is for each pixel to be its own light source; as such, CRTs for the win in that regard, but OLEDs for the best of both worlds. I wonder how well that phosphor CRT style tech works in practice though...
Old 20th Mar 2006, 22:58   #19
LAGMonkey
Group 7 error

LAGMonkey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Fantastic read, And i might be willing to take my CRT apart in about a year. That or i go hunting for one out of a skip.
Didnt i see an artical on Bit-Tech about a LCD with lots of light sources? There was a test with a single white rectangle in the middle of the screen and it was part of a HDR Test/ bit-tech explination.

http://www.xkcd.com
100% Brainless]
LAGMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2006, 23:01   #20
ozstrike
yip yip yip yip

ozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremelozstrike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGMonkey
Didnt i see an artical on Bit-Tech about a LCD with lots of light sources? There was a test with a single white rectangle in the middle of the screen and it was part of a HDR Test/ bit-tech explination.
You mean this ?