1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Yuugou" Finished (1 Buy.com Lan pic)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greensabbath, 23 Mar 2006.

1. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

[​IMG]

I'd like to thank my sponsors: (more pending)

[​IMG]
    http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-85f.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many months of planning and a little bit of actual work, my second custom case is ready to begin. This case is called Yuugou which roughly translates to "fusion of two things". I want this to be the ultimate combination of tradition and technology

The case is based on a few of my past furniture projects along with what i learned from Sangaku. This time it will be watercooled and the components will be fully stealthed and sound deadened for something that should be amazingly quiet.

The main material for the interior frame will be aluminum which I'm not sure how i'm going to finish. The main woods will be maple and hawaiian curly koa.

I originally wanted no buttons on the case and just touch sensors but that is up for debate now.

As for hardware, i'm waiting until the end of the year for the Conroe stuff to be cheaper.

Without further delay, i have some sketches of the case itself which ill need to draft up and make full sized drawings of:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the crappy pics, i don't have my usual camera since i'm at home for spring break.
    Another part of this case which i am very proud of is the amount of hand work that i will do. Every single joint will be entirely made by hand and i invented a new joint for this project to do what i wanted it to.

The joint, shown below, requires no glue, is solid as a rock, and can be taken apart easily.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the pin taken out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the main thing holding this joint together, the little nubbin thats cut out of this piece:
    [​IMG]

Here are the peices for the joint, there will be 8 of these on the case:
    [​IMG]

Here is the joint put together outside of the main post:
    [​IMG]

I also hope to not use any glue/nails/screws for any of the wood parts of this case since the joinery will be enough to hold it. The outer case will slide over the inner frame this time. The inner case actually functions as an almost complete computer case on its own but the outer frame should give it a look similar to Sangaku but more modern looking.

More to come once i get back to school and have access to the aluminum milling equiptment.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2007
  2. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

Ohhh, i can't tell how happy I got when I saw you're going for another project. It is a true pleasure seeing your craftsmanship, and I will definately be following this. I'm not sure I can suggest a good name for this as well though ;)

Good luck with this one, looking forward to it.

3. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I have a number of friends that do Japanese translation for a living so if there were something in particular you wanted the name to convey I could help in that regard. Whether you want a simple meaning or something with a double or triple meaning.

4. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

The first one was absolutely stunning. Definately will be following this one.

BTW, you "invented" a joint? You sir are a Genious :thumb:

5. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Thank you very much sir and everyone else as well. I should be a little more careful when i say "invented" although i'm pretty sure i did. I designed the joint to do exactly what i needed it to and i made 2 others before i got it right.

@CaptianSlug: This project is a fusion of many things but in woodworking, technology, my life, new and old so something that conveys that would be great, thanks a lot

Nick

6. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:eeek: I followed with interest "the first Sangaku" and so with this one

From your site " I use and utilizing Japanese hand tools, which are an art form in themselves."
    Can you show us these tools? :dremel:

ciao :D

7. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'll definately have some pics of the tools up soon once i get back to school (they're in my apartment there) i'm also getting some new really really nice mitsukawa saws that i'll post as well

on another note, with the help of my friend Taro, we came up with a name for the case "Yuugou" which means harmonize, unite, fuse into one

8. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I like the name. I don't it says anywhere, but what type of wood are you using for this, same as the last one?

9. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

thank you, i'll be using cherry as the main wood and sitka spruce as the secondary

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

That's great! Your work is much appreciated by a fellow furniture/cabinet maker...

11. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I loved your first mod, but what will be different about this second one?

12. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

@kickarse: thank you very much

In a one words this one should esentially be perfect compared to the last one. I learned a lot while making the last one that i'm using for this one. This one will also be watercooled and there will not be a single wire visable in the window with an extremely neat water cooling loop. The lighting will also be better (more even). It will be quieter. I'm using aluminum and going to have it either anodized or powdercoated. The joinery is a huge improvement ( and challenge since its entirely by hand this time). Um, i can probably think of more stuff (and more stuff will come along as I get further into the construction) but essentially, it is not meant to be an entirely different case, its more of a refinement and perfection of the first one

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Sounds good, can't wait to see it! :thumb:

14. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

this should be good!

15. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I will have to keep an eye on this one! keep up the great work.

16. timmmay

timmmay What's a Dremel?

I first noticed your work with the Sangaku case and was impressed. Then I got Fine Woodworking a couple of months back and saw your lamp and made sure to tune into your worklog everyday. *Then* I got Maximum PC and saw your case there!

Very nice work! That joint you "invented" is awesome! :rock:

As a hobbyist woodworker (with asperations to make my own wooden case) I'll be watching this project log as well. I'm looking forward to a post with pictures of your tools.

Would you mind me sharing a link to this project in a woodworking forum I go to?

17. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

18. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Sure man go for it.

Thank you everyone for the praise and i hope to live up to all the expectations. I got the picture of the tools and am going to have a cardboard model of the interior hopefully soon.

[​IMG]

Nick

19. timmmay

timmmay What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming your mortises are hand cut with those chisels. That is sweet!

20. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'm done with the first major project of my architecture studio this quarter so its on with the modding. i recently had my birthday and that means one thing, new tools, so here they are: two Mitsukawa dozuki saws, one for rip and one for cross cut. I've already used these for one project so far and they are amazing..and pretty:
    [​IMG]

The support shop i work at caught on fire so i thought it would be a while before i could get back in but luckily, it didn't get in anything important so i was able to get some of the wood cut and ready for the planer:

[​IMG]

I wanted to use cherry but the gods of proportion frowned on me and i was forced to use my large stockpile of rock maple which will give the case a completely different look but should turn out just as good, except for the fact that its hard as rock and i'm doing everything with handsaws and chisels :blah:

After i planed the peices down for the main frame, my bedroom looked like this:

[​IMG]

that bag behind the main pile is filled with shavings too.

here are the peices all done with planing and ready for the next step:

[​IMG]

This doesn't look like much yet but i promise it will get more exciting. Since i'm using maple now and i still want to black powdercoat the aluminum frame, i want to bring the darkness of the front to the side panels which i plan to do with some curly koa wood shown here:

[​IMG]

This wood is amazingly beautiful in person with a tremendous amount of curl on the koa. The maple also has a bit of figure to it. Tomorrow i'm going to work a bit more on this and get everything ready for joinery. I'll also have the front and side elevation of the main frame that i drew up (by hand) and eventually i'll start the aluminum frame which i'll be working on simultaneously. More to come soon.

Discussion thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=109997

Nick

Last edited: 29 Apr 2006