1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Acrylic Double Helix v2.0 Complete!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sea Shadow, 26 Mar 2006.

1. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

v.75 is below
    v1.0 can be found here
    v2.0 can be found here
    High res images can be found here under their respective completed versions.

I have always been a nut for double helix, and the LAN party I regularly attend also uses a double helix as its main theme. So when my schools art show came up it was only natural that I would put my modding skills to use and make something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think, the finished project had a stand and everything but I forgot to take pictures before I took it to school. If there is enough interest I may make another one.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2007
  2. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

You get a Vader-style:

[/i]Impressive... [/i]

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Most Impressive

4. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

thats AWSOME, you should do one with UV plexi

5. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Look for the resident eval work log, that may also tip you interest.
    VERY nice!

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Nice work. Use tinter/coloured plexi for the next one!

7. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Thank you for the comments everyone :D

I have seen the resident evil work log and I quite enjoyed it.

With regard to the comments of making a UV one, currently I don't have enough money to go get the acrylic for a UV one however I do have a fair ammount of clear plexi left over (I'm a poor high school kid lol). The reason why I bought so much clear plexi is because I have been doing some experimentation with LEDs and plexi and the results have been quite pleasing. First I have to finish up some school work for the term but after that I can show you what I am up to. Stay tuned for v2.0 :dremel:

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

U worked out a way to wire them so that half of each of the peptide links (IIRC thats what they are damn biology) is a diff colour, but each pair matches for the ATCG?

9. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I never took biology (took chem and physics), so I don't know exactly what you are getting at, but I think I have a rough idea. That sounds like something for a v3.0 (if I could find the time to do that).

10. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

You must be high.

Not peptide, hydrogen bonding.

so possibly use springs to represent hydrogen bonding? that would seperate the two nucleotide rods so that LED could display the two different colors without mixing into one.

Then you could use surface mount LED's to produce the deoxyribose, and more springs and surface mounts to produce the phosphate!!!

Then you could use little rods with LED's in them to represent the phosphodiester bonds between the sugar chains!!!!

That would be SOO COOL if you could mount the surface mount LED's on the INSIDE of the acrylic, like real molecules within an genralized shape of the DNA molecule!!!!

then you could win the geekies coolest chain of DNA EVER!!!!!

Transcription or translation anyone? that would be awesome DNA teaching apparatus.

11. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

I'd like to order 1 translation for biology talk of this thread please.

All of that just went way over my head, but what I figured was that he wanted me to make the differend halfs of the bars glow the various different colors of a DNA strand, though I have no clue which colors they are, how they pair up, or if there is any order to them.

And before anyone asks, I WILL NOT make one full strand of DNA.

Last edited: 27 Mar 2006
  12. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Make that 2 !
    Just look in a biology book when your ready, im sure theres a sample you could copy someware.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sorry, thought you knew about DNA.

Basicly the way DNA works is that the links across the middle are matching pairs. There's no "Real" predefined colours, but red, blue, green and yellow are the ones I normally see.

In DNA those links only go in certain pairs, i.e. C and G go together. So when you look at a model it has one half of each link coloured. As this is what makes DNA so special.

And no I wasn't high, just very very s***e at Biology (got a B at GCSE)

14. Big_Adam

Big_Adam What's a Dremel?

thats just so freekishly cool for so many reasions.

15. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Show of i only got a D

16. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Very cool. You didn't happen to take any progress pics did you? I'd love to know how you made that.

17. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Unfortunately no, but when I made this one I made some spare pieces just in case I screwed up. So I will just use those and make a 2nd one. I will be sure to take plenty of pics this time around, who knows maybe even a time lapse (sp?) of the cross bars going in.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea that's cause there's only 4 "nucleotides" in DNA: C, G, A, T. C always goes to G and A always to T. I wont bother you with chemical name translations.
    If you could cut out little shapes of C/G A/T molecules and put them in between the phosphate backbone of the helix, then have little LEDs for the different colours that would be cool.

It would be even cooler to get your own DNA sequenced and find a string to actually corrilate and match.

It would be even even cooler if you could find the specific modding gene and then display that.

19. chucksta

chucksta What's a Dremel?

wow, that is very cool. What dougEdey was saying would be awesome though.

20. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Next up, genetically engineered modding mice.
    Anyways, nice looking double helix, some lighting and color would make it look even better.