bit-tech.net

Old 28th Mar 2006, 11:15   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
ABIT AN8 32X

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...an8_32x/1.html

Old 28th Mar 2006, 11:46   #2
warlockza
FirstZoom.tv

warlockza has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good one Tim, This board seems to be an excellent start on the road to recovery. Well done ABIT..;-)
(oops, just broke my arm patting myself on the back..hehe)
warlockza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 12:39   #3
Griff65
What's a Dremel?

Griff65 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just purchased the board myself, as Overclockers Uk are doing a very good deal on them this week...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ocket_939.html
Griff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 12:45   #4
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Damn, that's a good deal, thanks for the heads up and welcome to the forums!
Old 28th Mar 2006, 14:20   #5
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice board - i like the SATA cables ...however I'm still in favour of the Asus A8R32-MVP if you are not after SLI!!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 15:11   #6
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.
I can't imagine needing a single socket 939 board any time soon, but that looks like a VERY nice board. I love all the SATA sockets and the RAID 5 functionality. Also nice to see GB LAN going mainstream. Now if the price on GB switches would only come down some.

Only Bit-Tech would refer to water cooling as "One of the more aminstream cooling soulutions on the market"
Old 28th Mar 2006, 15:52   #7
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
The Inq reported that consumer 8port gigabit switches are now $56

http://theinquirer.net/?article=30559

GbE has been "mainstream" since... 2004, at least.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 16:14   #8
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Im with you on good step, Tim; this board is definitely a step in the right direction. (even further would be to clone the Ultimate Motherboard )
Old 28th Mar 2006, 16:48   #9
EK-MDi
Multimodder

EK-MDi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As soon as I read, "lack of legacy connectors on the back I/O panel", this board became my new optimum performance choice of a motherboard . I've been waiting so long for this.
EK-MDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 16:49   #10
RotoSequence
Lazy Lurker

RotoSequence has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK-MDi
As soon as I read, "lack of legacy connectors on the back I/O panel", this board became my new optimum performance choice of a motherboard . I've been waiting so long for this.
Evidently you havent noticed the DFI Nforce 4 SLI series - those dont have legacy either Seriously, if you dont want legacy connectors, you can easily desolder the buggers (Im starting to think I may want to make TuM's PATA socket removable )
Old 28th Mar 2006, 22:10   #11
EK-MDi
Multimodder

EK-MDi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoSequence
Evidently you havent noticed the DFI Nforce 4 SLI series - those dont have legacy either Seriously, if you dont want legacy connectors, you can easily desolder the buggers (Im starting to think I may want to make TuM's PATA socket removable )
Kool. Thanks for notifying me of that.
And as a customer, I expect not to have to take such measures ("desolder the buggers"), just to lose the legacy hardware on my products. At least companies are starting to make the change now, so I won't have to.
EK-MDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2006, 22:45   #12
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.Cthippo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EK-MDi
Remember Abit's AT7? That one dumped the legacy connectors with a Socket A board. Once again, Abit leads the way
Old 28th Mar 2006, 23:22   #13
hitman012
Super Moderator

hitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhitman012 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good review

Certainly a nice one from Abit there - good to see that they're making their way steadily back into the market. This looks like one of the best 939 enthusiast boards there is and, combined with traditional Abit stability, it's certainly an excellent choice.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 00:08   #14
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dissapointing about the "maximum clock" 272 seems pretty week, especially since some of us have seen near 400 out of DFI products...
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2006, 00:28   #15
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin
Dissapointing about the "maximum clock" 272 seems pretty week, especially since some of us have seen near 400 out of DFI products...
We got 340MHz out of the board

There isn't memory available that's fast enough to cope with that kind of HTT - this CPU doesn't seem to like more than 280MHz HTT (in general), but we've had the memory running at 337MHz 1:1 with another CPU that's no longer in the office.

FWIW, I've seen over 400MHz on the DFI with a divider.
Old 29th Mar 2006, 01:11   #16
customh
conflagration.

customh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good review, don't know if i need this much performance, but nonetheless good review.
customh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2006, 01:59   #17
BUFF
Hypermodder

BUFF has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
decent review, I'm oh so tempted ...
When are you doing an AT8 32X review

Btw 400HTT has been reported as achieved on the Abit forums so it's probably the usual sympathetic component/time to tweak situation.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2006, 13:18   #18
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I was chuffed to bits with the NF7-S as it was a great performer and solid as a rock. I upgraded to S939 and thought i would stick with my now trusted Abit and bought a AN8-Ultra. It did everything i wanted and also performed very well until i upgraded my Ram and it was never stable again. After much pulling of hair swapping out components i determined the board was faulty and sent it back for RMA.

9 weeks later still no replacement!

Abit are going to have to make a LOT of improvements before i would recommend then to anyone again.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Mar 2006, 22:24   #19
lepre
Supermodder

lepre has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
how does the sound perform on this board?
actually i have a nf7-s and audio is very distrurbed, and with a good headset (sennheiser hd-280) that's VERY annoying! (i can hear when i move the mouse on the screen...i can even register it! )
Old 30th Mar 2006, 02:01   #20
RobinBen
What's a Dremel?

RobinBen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ABit is dead.My favorite mainboard is ASUS A8N32SLi.
RobinBen is offline   Reply With Quote