bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Mar 2006, 13:40   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/...blivion/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 15:17   #2
stephen2002
Multimodder

stephen2002 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great review espeically the graphics testing. It's amazing how detailed the game is and it's amazing the variety of settings that they let you mess around with, and apparently there is an .ini file in there that lets you really customise how things are drawn in the game.
stephen2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 15:28   #3
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sounds like a game that eats toasted silicon for lunch.
Old 31st Mar 2006, 15:34   #4
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
I picked this game up for my 360 a couple days ago after reading on and on in our console gaming forum about it and I must say.... I absolutely love this game. This is coming from someone who normally doesn't care for RPGs and has never played an Elder Scroll game before at all.

What actually drew me into the game was being able to pickpocket every single character in the game and being able to break into every house/store and rob them blind. I've been so naughty though that out of 135 game days that have passed (IIRC that's how many have passed), I've spent 88 of those days in jail. I started killing gaurds in the Imperial City and had a bounty on my head of 7000 gold coins and gave up and let them take me to jail instead of paying it off. I love being able to walk back into the jail and steal all the stolen goods back that they confiscated off of me during the arrest.

One thing about the game that I can't seem to do is actually read the damned books instead of quickly flipping through the pages to get the "book read." I mean, heck, some of these books are 80+ pages with several volumes in them! At 240 books read....that's alot of time I would have spent just reading books. Albeit after I finish the main quest my goal is to go back and read all of the books and fill my houses to the brim with nice wares and do all of the side quests and such.

I find myself anticipating 4:30PM to roll around every day so I can get home and get back to playing. I've lost out on so much sleep the past few days because of this game that it's rediculous....but yet it's awesome. I've haven't had a game draw me this much into obsession for a very long time.

A note to anyone who picks up this game for either the 360 or for their computer.... prepare to not sleep much and become obsessed with finishing little quests and such. Also, try and make your way west to one of the little castles that's on the coast (can't think of it's name off the top of my head) and check out the view across the sea. It's friggen beautiful!
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:06   #5
whisperwolf
I *am* a Dremel

whisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysis
whats the graphics compare like rom the xbox to the the high end PC's. Trying to work out if I'll be better of buying the xbox, or spending silly money upgrading my whole PC, cause at the moment I have a feeling it will destroy my current machine.

My Flickr
whisperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:07   #6
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
Well, YOu get AA andHDR on the 360 where you only get one or the other on the PC.
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:20   #7
dire_wolf
Last Of The Dovakhiin

dire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for president
I got the PC collectors version, just for the map editor and player mods, it's a touch more tweakable aswell and runs like a dream on my system

Oh, and you geta funky little septim coin and a little book with the collectors version
dire_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:25   #8
whisperwolf
I *am* a Dremel

whisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysiswhisperwolf can run Crysis
I tried to get that but was let down by the vendor, and now nowhere has the PC collectors edition in stock as far as I can see. Going to take it as a a sign that my PC would not have coped and that I should hold off for a while

My Flickr
whisperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:34   #9
Ab$olut
Supermodder

Ab$olut has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Alot of people have been having issues with this game even with fx60s etc I think a patch would get them frames up...

Although it looks like a fun game should be getting it once I have my x2 + 7900gt
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:39   #10
Garside
Supermodder

Garside has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have been managing okay with the game and I have a 9800 Radeon Pro, 2100+ Thunderbird and 1 gb of RAM (2700). A lot of people are saying that you need the best computer in the world to enjoy this title - its simply not true!

However, if I have more than one enemy on screen I have to stick the difficulty setting right down to get past them - it jerks far too much.
Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:55   #11
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwolf
whats the graphics compare like rom the xbox to the the high end PC's. Trying to work out if I'll be better of buying the xbox, or spending silly money upgrading my whole PC, cause at the moment I have a feeling it will destroy my current machine.
I don't know, personally, though it's a fair question. Ask yourself what you would do with either a super-fast PC or an Xbox 360 *after* you've finished playing ES4... Also, keyboard & mouse + desk vs wireless controller + sofa?
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:59   #12
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with garside. I'm running a 3200 OCed to 2.4GHz 1 GB of RAM and a stock 9800pro. 1024 with medium detail (distant land off though) and i get a average of around 36fps which is quite sufficient for me. I have tweaked windows and oblivion extensivly though so I'm probably in a best case scenario.

My friend however... well thats a different story. He thought hed be alright with 512mb of RAM and a PCI FX5200. When he found out he couldn't run it he was devestated. So he orders an extra 1GB of RAM only to find out (as I had said all along) it did nothing to improve the performance. I told him he wouldn't be able to get a PCI gfx card to run this game and now he wants a new mobo + an AGP card. Problem is he knows little about so he asks me to spec him something cheap. A quick search around gets him a suitable upgrade for 120 but his mum doesn't trust me and they had a big falling out over the whole deal.

Well back to my level four wood elf bow master (custom class which I couldn't think of a decent name for)
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 16:59   #13
chemo
True Jungle Brother

chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble
Sounds like a game that eats toasted silicon for lunch.
i agree, it looks like its making what i thought to be high quality gear look pretty poor
chemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 17:15   #14
EK-MDi
Multimodder

EK-MDi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow! That just goes to show what a performer the Xbox 360 can be, which plays the game at maximum detail, in HD resolutions, with very very rare lag occurences, unlike a PC with an Nvidia 7900GTX and FX-60, which has trouble doing so.
EK-MDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 17:24   #15
Shadowed_fury
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Shadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the DremelShadowed_fury has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quite glad i've left this purchase out till I upgrade. Phew, thats intense!
Shadowed_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 18:26   #16
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't suppose anyone has a clue as to how a 7900GT would hold up against 1920x1200 with the right detail settings... I've got my 6800GT going at 1184x840 (or whatever it is) which is playable by all means but not stunning.
I want to get back to playing, though, at any res right now. Stupid school projects...
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 19:10   #17
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
I don't suppose anyone has a clue as to how a 7900GT would hold up against 1920x1200 with the right detail settings... I've got my 6800GT going at 1184x840 (or whatever it is) which is playable by all means but not stunning.
I want to get back to playing, though, at any res right now. Stupid school projects...
Define 'right detail settings...' FWIW, two 7900gtx cards in SLI just barely kept up at 1900x1200, all settings max. BARELY.
Old 31st Mar 2006, 19:18   #18
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
Define 'right detail settings...' FWIW, two 7900gtx cards in SLI just barely kept up at 1900x1200, all settings max. BARELY.
Around 30fps average through our test section, IIRC.
Old 31st Mar 2006, 19:45   #19
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
30 sounds nice, indeed I played FEAR through with an FPS of 30, but that was only because it was a fairly stable 30, it didn't venture down to 10 or 15FPS every 30 seconds. Minimum FPS is very important, but also the stability of an FPS is important, when cutting it as close as 30.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2006, 20:23   #20
r3Q
Supermodder

r3Q has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well. im about level 16 and i have ~45 hours in already.

the game is just so incredibly fun to play, even with terrible frames. ive got a mid-range setup - (see sig), and it really does chug along sometimes on the outdoor scenes.

here is a site with some console\ini tweaks to get it running a lil better

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66785

i espically liked this one ;
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=283055

Last edited by r3Q; 31st Mar 2006 at 20:29.
r3Q is offline   Reply With Quote