1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows gaming on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 24 Apr 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

People actually play CS:S? :eyebrow:

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

4. orb

orb satisfying.

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Interesting, wonder how it will do in 6 months when the drivers have been polished.

BTW. Is it just me who thinks that a thinkpad looks even cooler than an iBook ? (what can I say, I like the solid look, compared to the flimsy (but stylish) Mac look)

6. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

an aluminum case doesnt look solid enough?

if you are specificly talking about the ibooks like you mentioned, the white ones, i still think they look and feel pretty solid.

i dont know how using the same core duo processor and same intel chipset, they expect to run windows better on a mac. the advantage that you have on a mac is that msot onboard video is below a x1600 on most notebooks.

7. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

I'm surprised there's not more of a DOD:S presence in those stats - unlike CS, DOD actually translates well onto the source engine. Anyway, i'll stop being off topic now.

8. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I'll agree with you. iBooks, while being fairly stylish and minimilist, are quite cheap looking, and feel worse. They are fairly solid, but they scratch easily. I have little experience with a ThinkPad, but I have come to appreciate their timeless design - even if it is square, black, and authoritarian.

9. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Ah! So it's not just me that doesn't understand what on earth people are going on about when they talk about the Macs looking so much better... I've always been scratching my head and wondering if Malaysian versions were different... :p

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Which version are you talking about? I have a G4 iBook and it's built like a tank. It's been bashed, dropped, stood on, squashed and thumped and it's not even sporting a decent scratch on it. And it still looks (after almost 4yrs) like new.

However...

...I am now in the market for a MacBook Pro ^_^ I'm considering selling off my PC as the only game of any consequence that it's been used for in the last year has been WoW.

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

People actually play CS 1.6? :eyebrow:

Move on, 1.6 is a broken old game.

Anyways, whats stopping ppl from calling mac's pc's?

12. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Hmm, sub-par gaming performance. Over Priced. Only useful if you like MAC software.

You'd think for the price it'd have at least an X1800 mobile GPU. I mean hell, I can go get a $1000 Dell that will walk all over this in gaming and a few other tasks. I guess I just don't see where the allure of MACs comes from, 'cept from the stylishly good-looking case design...

Sign me up!!

13. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Id still rather spend my money on an Thinkpad. Timeless design and i like my laptops being able to take the punishment of travel. But nice idea tho, just a shame that the driver support is a bit lacking atm. Although that will get better in time.

Class review thing there Bit-Tech :thumb:

14. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I was worried there for a second that the mac book pro would actually have good gaiming and i'd have to get one to replace my powerbook g4, but thankfully, it sucks enough to be content with just my pc desktop for games, thank you bit-tech

Oh, the ibook is kinda iffy looking but the powerbook looks much better, very pretty

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Hahaha, watch out for the fanbois!

From what I've read up on, your numbers seem to be a bit on the low side. However I think a lot of people have popped on ATITool and clocked the GPU back up to what it should be. That and they just go by 'playably smooth' (which is all you really need) and not 'X fps'. In all reality, Oblivion will probably look better on an MBP for me than it does now, since I turned down eye candy to make 1680x1050 generally-playable on a 6800GT (which is quite far down).

16. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

A Dell which would run OS X as well as the MacBook runs Windows?

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

You'd be a narf to load OS-X onto your x1800'd Dell in hopes of prime gaming.

18. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i got a macbook pro. when you overclock the GPU to decent levels (i got mine past 400 without a sweat), the 3d performance is pretty decent.

why didn't you put benchmarks up at overclocked specs? it'd be a slightly fairer comparison.

19. evanbraakensiek

evanbraakensiek What's a Dremel?

TBH

Point A - woo my game is top 5 (ET :D )
    Point B - If you want style go for a Sony Vaio (x-Black really does "pone" all)
    Point C - Buy a dell and put OSX on it ? WTF :eyebrow: Linux or Free BSD my friends. Mac's are overpriced hardware wise but software is ok.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Yah, I was thinkin about that, I thought I read somewhere that Mac's Gpu's were underclocked and ppl were putting them at stock w/out heat problems.

Tags: Add Tags