bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Apr 2006, 18:14   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
GeForce 7900 GT head-to-head

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...dtohead/1.html

Old 26th Apr 2006, 18:31   #2
Reaper_Unreal
Supermodder

Reaper_Unreal has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very nice review, nice to see some widescreen gaming thrown in the mix. I'm quite surprised at how well Oblivion runs at 1920x1200 with these cards, it seems like they're definately worth the money.

Also, I noticed you switched tracks in NFSMW to my favourite track. Mind you 4min is still slow It's also interesting that you should note that a higher fps makes faster cars more playable, it would seem that it would be better to sacrifice detail for speed in that case.

If you made a Venn diagram, there would be two non-overlapping circles, one of which was labeled, “Times when I am truly happy” and the other of which was labeled, “Times when I am logged in as root, holding a cable, and have the case open.”
Reaper_Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2006, 18:53   #3
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper_Unreal
Very nice review, nice to see some widescreen gaming thrown in the mix. I'm quite surprised at how well Oblivion runs at 1920x1200 with these cards, it seems like they're definately worth the money.
I was pleasantly surprised with the Oblivion performance too - after playing for around 50 hours so far, I've learnt some decent tweaks that still gives a reasonable game experience.

Quote:
Also, I noticed you switched tracks in NFSMW to my favourite track. Mind you 4min is still slow
We're using quite a slow car for recording, but I did test a maxxed out Carrera GT as my high speed test.

Quote:
It's also interesting that you should note that a higher fps makes faster cars more playable, it would seem that it would be better to sacrifice detail for speed in that case.
Absolutely and had the NFSMW tests been 'highest playable', the details would've been lowered.
Old 26th Apr 2006, 18:56   #4
Highland3r
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Any chance you can stick the cards in SLI and re-run some of the tests biggles?

For the money, these cards are damn hard to beat
Highland3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2006, 19:05   #5
chemo
True Jungle Brother

chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.chemo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
its very nice to see the widescreen side of things bigz, nice one!
chemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2006, 19:31   #6
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland3r
Any chance you can stick the cards in SLI and re-run some of the tests biggles?

For the money, these cards are damn hard to beat
I think we'll do something like that soon - I've got another 7900 GTX to review so I think that's a worthy consideration instead of a 7900 GTX.
Old 26th Apr 2006, 23:43   #7
ContingenctPlan
Minimodder

ContingenctPlan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I got my XFX 7900GT XXX from ebuyer.com 3 weeks ago for £250, so it's worth checking there, too!
ContingenctPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2006, 23:45   #8
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Whoops, forgot about Ebuyer when writing the article - they're definitely worth considering. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 26th Apr 2006, 23:46   #9
DarkReaper
Alignment: Sarcastic Good

DarkReaper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How does overclocking or replacing the stock cooler affect the BFG warranty?
DarkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2006, 23:51   #10
ContingenctPlan
Minimodder

ContingenctPlan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReaper
I'd imaging it'd nullify it. Best to email BFG to make sure
ContingenctPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2006, 00:21   #11
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReaper
AFAIK, both void it. If you're looking to change coolers, Club-3D's warranty is not void by swapping the cooler
Old 27th Apr 2006, 01:13   #12
Rav
Multimodder

Rav has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigz
Whoops, forgot about Ebuyer when writing the article - they're definitely worth considering. Thanks for the feedback!
Ebuyer also have the BFG at £235 inc VAT, which is about £4 less than what i paid about a week and a half ago. Damn fine card for the money
Old 27th Apr 2006, 04:27   #13
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
I'm happy the perforamnce wasnt a long shot from a 7800gt, makes me feel a little better for buying my 7800gt.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2006, 05:27   #14
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm... now I definately need that 7900GT. How you're able to play at much higher detail and resolution than I am with the next step up in WS resolution compared to my 6800gt is mind-boggling (I've got grass off, no HDR/bloom, no shadows and a lot of stuff towards the middle save draw distance, and it's still often choppy at 1680x1050).

The one I'm looking at is $320 for a 500MHz/1500MHz eVGA card... I was merely hoping to up the resolution and have it playable. Wow. I must ask, where the f*** is the AF setting in Oblivion? Do you just set it in the driver CP or is one of the options in there translating to that under a different name?

Much thanks for actually doing the high-res WS tests though. I personally think it's a bit funny that you can play Oblivion at 1920x1200 but apparently not 1600x1200 on the ol' tube (seeing that the resolution tends to make aliasing less noticible), but whatever. I was really looking for confirmation that I'd be able to play at 1920 with some level of detail, and this is just what I needed. Bit r teh

I suppose watercooling any brand card voids the warrantee, but what can I do...
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2006, 08:57   #15
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
you didnt mention www.overclock.co.uk either

in my experience their service is better then overclockers and their cheaper too

alot of people agree (ive herd plenty of horror storys about overclockers)

BTW
Any chance bit tech can do a SLI roundup kinda thing, like SLI 7300 - 7900 (with single card comparisons)

There are alot of people around that say 2x 6800GT < 7800GT and so on, i would be interested to see if its true

(the general rumour seems to be 1x new card performs better then 2 of the previous ones)

Edit
I would ask for crossfire benchies, but as far as ive herd so far crossfire doesnt improve, or worsens framerates and such
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2006, 09:05   #16
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
The one I'm looking at is $320 for a 500MHz/1500MHz eVGA card... I was merely hoping to up the resolution and have it playable. Wow. I must ask, where the f*** is the AF setting in Oblivion? Do you just set it in the driver CP or is one of the options in there translating to that under a different name?
You have to control Oblivion AF from the CP - there's a driver profile so you can just enable it on a per-app basis.

Quote:
Much thanks for actually doing the high-res WS tests though. I personally think it's a bit funny that you can play Oblivion at 1920x1200 but apparently not 1600x1200 on the ol' tube (seeing that the resolution tends to make aliasing less noticible), but whatever. I was really looking for confirmation that I'd be able to play at 1920 with some level of detail, and this is just what I needed. Bit r teh
You can play at 1600x1200, but you have to start turning off things that are nice to have on (tree canopy shadows being one of those things), and fade distances have to be turned down somewhat too. With generally high detail levels on XFX's XXX card, you can enjoy the game with loads of detail. I guess I should do some 1600x1200 vs 1280x1024 playable settings comparison screens.

Quote:
I suppose watercooling any brand card voids the warrantee, but what can I do...
You can change coolers with Club 3D without voiding the warranty, but (AFAIK) you can't buy them in the USA.
Old 27th Apr 2006, 09:07   #17
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooadam
BTW
Any chance bit tech can do a SLI roundup kinda thing, like SLI 7300 - 7900 (with single card comparisons)

There are alot of people around that say 2x 6800GT < 7800GT and so on, i would be interested to see if its true

(the general rumour seems to be 1x new card performs better then 2 of the previous ones)

Edit
I would ask for crossfire benchies, but as far as ive herd so far crossfire doesnt improve, or worsens framerates and such
I'll have to see, but that's likely to happen after Computex (late June) as there's quite a lot of new products to cover before June arrives.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 21:49   #18
Kasrkin Guard
Multimodder

Kasrkin Guard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
You can change coolers with Club 3D without voiding the warranty, but (AFAIK) you can't buy them in the USA.
Doesn't eVGA allow you to do this aswell? I heard a while ago that they did so.
Kasrkin Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2006, 06:23   #19
eric_r
Minimodder

eric_r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice review. I was looking at the XFX 7900gt and I am impressed. I think I may get the regular version though, we'll see. (I've seen some impressive overclocks on these cards too)
eric_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2006, 10:59   #20
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Spoonman
Doesn't eVGA allow you to do this aswell? I heard a while ago that they did so.
I'm not 100% sure, I've got an eVGA card in so I'll have to check the warranty terms out.