1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E3 retrospective - who won?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I think this is the best year of E3, ever. Three new big innovations from all three major platform providers, except the Wii did ruin the 'taste' of it a bit. Personally, I feel Microsoft were the winners of this year's show, and I made that judgement as soon as they announced Live Anywhere, and Grand Theft Auto episodic content exclusivity.

3. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

I think Nintendo was the winner of the show really, pushing forward in a completely different direction to its competitors and showing that people are more interested in games than consoles!

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

No mention of ccp's bar on their stand? :eyebrow:

I'm shocked :p

5. [1N0V471V]

[1N0V471V] What's a Dremel?

No offense Wil Harris, but there were a lot of grammar mistakes in that blurb.

"That does not a good showing make."

Among others....

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Who won?

Wii did!

7. TheDarkCloud

TheDarkCloud What's a Dremel?

The company that grabbed my attention the most, Nintendo without a doubt.
    I wasn't going to bother getting a console this time round, now I HAVE to get a Wii.

My big dissapointment of this E3, no big news about Spore or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :(

8. hacker 8991

hacker 8991 What's a Dremel?

That's not a grammar mistake, it's just an interesting way of arranging a sentence. It still has all the parts it needs to be a sentence.

That does not a good showing make = That does not make a good showing

Just think of Wil as Yoda.

- tf

9. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Spore coverage is coming. Saving the best til last. :hip: :hip: :hip:

10. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

lol

IMO Wii definately won E3, it was no contest!

Bring on the Spore news!! :lol: :D

11. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I think there was only one victor at E3:

[​IMG]

Wil (AKA Gordon Freeman).

:sigh: :waah:

12. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

Loving the new Dell XPS looks.

13. SparkuS

SparkuS What's a Dremel?

Will Wil sex Wii?

That is the question.

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

There is no doubt the the lines for Nintendo were the longest of the show, but it's rumored that those lines might be the longest of any E3 lines to date.

15. inflatable

inflatable What's a Dremel?

Nintendo did good yes, and the lines were also long.. But to be honest I think it was all just hype over the controller, not really much about games etc.. I still doubt if this motion thing will be good for every kind of game, it's probably just good for some types of games, but not all..

MS had the strongest showing by far when it comes to games.. Both next-gen games and arcade games.. So when people say it's all about the games, MS won..

Sony kindof failed both with hardware and games.. Very little in-game footage of upcoming games, and removing rumble for a limited motion-sensing is not smart imho.. Just like with Nintendo I think it's only good for some types of games, where other games (like FPS and racing etc) will suffer from the lack of rumble..

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nintendo have an alternate pad for games that won't work well with the super duper upside down back to front one. It's a basic four button and D-pad affair, I think with a couple of analogue sticks on it, but I may be mistaken.

17. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

It's looks just like a SNES controller, specofdust, only it has dual analogue sticks as well as an additional two shoulder buttons. Let's not forget that for game that won't make use of the motion sensor and pointer of the Wiimote, there's GameCube ports on the side of the console.

18. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

:waah: counting down the days till i can own 1

19. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

i think that is how nintendo has won over the masses, its certainly a ver large reason why im interested in it, if i want media stuff ill go to my PC, if i want to be able to play games with mates and family and really get back to the roots of group entertainment ill buy this console by the looks/sounds of it
    (great article btw!)

20. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Why was no mention of FFXIII made? That alone will ship a few systems. I'm still in the belief we'll see a FFVII remake as well, given the pushing off all the FF7 related content.

An anime (Final Fantasy: Crisis Core) Then Final Fantasy: Before Crisis was out on cellphones, and recently wrapped up with Square-Enix promising the "next-big-thing" in May. (There's an anime title for this too.) There's also Vincent's story in the Dirge Of Cerberus, and one can not forget the brand new CG title: Advent Children. And do not forget that there's the FF7 "Technical Demo" that was designed a while back. A company such as Square-Enix would not bring a game that is almost on its 10th aniversary back into the spot light if it didn't have something special planned for it. (Yes, this is all speculation.)

Back to the actual presented content however:
    The Wii (with a horrible name to boot) looks like Nintendo's last two systems. Nothing but a kid's system with a few notable titles in it. Sure there's nostalgia qualities in Mario, Zelda, etc. They will undoubtedly help sell many of the initial systems. But once that wears off, I don't see Nintendo being able to bring anything new to the plate. GoldenEye/Perfect Dark and Smash Brothers were the last original titles by Nintendo that I fell in love with.

Xbox has been PlayStations rival since they both came out. I know that in the end, this will primarly come down to personal preference, but I do see Sony having a huge leg up on the Xbox. The 360 has very few original titles to it, even today. I look around in Wal-Mart and most titles can be found on PS2 as well as the 360. I'm sure in the next year or so, the Xbox 360 will have it's set of original titles that will be amazing, but for now, I don't see what the hype is about. (Halo 3 aside. Like the Nintendo remakes, and the Final Fantasy series, Halo is Xbox's money cow. That alone will keep Xbox alive for a long time to come.) However I must mention that if Sony is offering its online services for free, that has to hurt Xbox.

At anyrate, I just wouldn't count Sony out yet.

Tags: Add Tags