1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel's Core Duo meets the desktop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 May 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Anyway, if this Core Duo thing doesn't actually use the Core microarchitecture then what does it use? What makes it perform so well? Is it just the 65mm die size?

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Afaik, its Pentium M arc with a slightly shorter pipe length(?) dual core and shared cache :)

4. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

this is a sign of the possible performance of Conroe

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

An even shorter pipeline? Bloody nora, this things going to rawk in games, and suck poop in things like video encoding. If the pipeline is even shorter, not even a second core is going to make up the performance in things like video encoding.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Ooops, I forgot to add the forum link to the article after publishing :blush:

But it clearly performs well in Video Encoding and beats K8 clock-for-clock, as demonstrated :confused:

[​IMG]

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Well it seemed pretty quick in the XviD test to me.

So if this is just an improved Pentium M then how much better Conroe be? When will we get to find out?

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmmm... the shared cache poses security risks for anyone planning on running this in any type of 'server' style environment.

The power features are NICE....

Price is comparable. I would have liked to see it a bit cheaper. :( Still, a very nice offering as an intermediate step over to Conroe.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's due for a price drop very soon, according to the link to TechReport on the final page. ;)

$637 to $423...

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yonah is a modified Dothan, simply put. It solves many of the shortcomings in the Dothan architecture, while improving many other areas too. There are still some issues though, as mentioned in the article. Some SSE2 instructions have been optimised and run around 30% faster. There is also the inclusion of the thirteen SSE3 instructions, and the chip has the ability of instruction grouping in order to improve performance further.

Hopefully this explains why the performance is so good. :)

11. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Shared cache also hurts multithreaded performance on this CPU, not a huge amount but its noticable.
    One major advantage of Yonah is that its pin compatible with Merom, so its a case of out with the old in with the new! For those people who go the Yonah root for whatever reason, its an easy upgrade to coroe esq performance.

Conroe's looking to be mighty, still can't help but feel it'll be weak in the same areas as yonah/"dothan" are though, however until official benchies are out thats just speculation...
    Hoping to get a Dothan vs Yonah vs X2 vs Opty/SC A64 compare done in the near future, will be interesting to see the results....

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Woops, so it does, that's curious, but very impressive. Must finish reading articles before posting comments on the CPU's they're about :duh:

13. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Are people going to buy this over the soon to be released Conroe? Is the Conroe going to be that much more expensive?

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Well, rumours suggest that you can stick a Merom in the AOpen board with a BIOS flash... I can't remember where I saw that though.

15. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Yup you can :) theres compatible bioses floating about now

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Interesting results. I may have to go for a Conroe when it debuts.

I especially like the overclockability, my chip seems to hit 2.6 and die above that, which sucks a little.

17. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

It's worth noting that these have been in Macs for a while now, so it's not as if this is the debut of the processor. It seem like they tested it out in Macs first, and I can tell you, the Core Duo in the iMac is very good at video encoding.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

There's no denying that the Core Duo has been around for a while, but we've been waiting for a decent motherboard to really test the chip in, AOpen's board fits that bill pretty well.

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Nice article, shame you didn't have the time to put the chip under phase :(

I thought these had the same pipeline length as Dothan?

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I was just going on what highland3r had said, which was that it was a P-M with a shorter pipeline(he did say afaik though, shoulda looked into it I guess).

Everything I knew about the P-M told me that it wasn't very good at encoding and linear tasks, due to such a short pipeline. I would have thought a further decreased pipeline length would have made the Core Duo downright terrible at encoding videos, and I still find it strange that it's so good.

Tags: Add Tags