Old 23rd May 2006, 11:44   #2
kingabs
Supermodder

kingabs has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
cant wait to get my hands on the new AM2 rig it will be good benchmarking
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:44   #3
Neoki
Hypermodder

Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Neoki is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I will wait until the next bunch of AMD's or conroe
Neoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:12   #4
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I notice nothing was said about AM2 Opterons. Is AMD staying witrh s940 for their server line? Personally, I'm very happy with my dual 940 Mobo, but I hope AM2 will drive down the price on late model dual core Opteron 2xx's
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:35   #5
TheoGeo
What are these goddamn animals?!

TheoGeo has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheoGeo has yet to learn the way of the DremelTheoGeo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
interesting article, i agree with waiting untill conroe is released though. that should make things very interesting

I think i found a mistake on the last page.
Quote:
On AMD, those processors cost £212 and £452 - so you're paying a premium for the new socket and the DDR2 controller.
shouldn't that say "On AM2"?

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
TheoGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:37   #6
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like AM2 it is then for my next rig. I was all set for 939, as they have dropped £20 in the last few weeks already.
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:54   #7
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
It's looking like a fairly reasonable perf. jump to AM2 then, which is good news for AMD, but will it be enough to oust a Conroe rig? We've all (probably) seen the thread down in Hardware from XS, a Conroe getting a 10-second superpi, but can it hold up when the cache doesn't cover the whole thread? Only time will tell.

[edit] It's also worth noting that a 3000+ will be on AM2.
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:30   #8
Lo Pan
Minimodder

Lo Pan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think Conroe is going to die to this new socket. The Core Duo "pre-Conroe" chips only beat AM2 when overclocked...and this is the first core that came out as well. If AMD also moved to higher clock speeds like they announced....I'm calling AMD for now.
Lo Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 13:41   #9
Kaboom22
Multimodder

Kaboom22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
I notice nothing was said about AM2 Opterons. Is AMD staying witrh s940 for their server line? Personally, I'm very happy with my dual 940 Mobo, but I hope AM2 will drive down the price on late model dual core Opteron 2xx's
QFT, i was also hopeing for some information on opterons for the same reason (same board )
Kaboom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:04   #10
perplekks45
LIKE AN ANIMAL!

perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.perplekks45 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Well... so this didn't impress me much. It's what I thought AMD will bring us: The best non-oc chip on the market at the day it's launched. Conroe might have a chance to beat AMD's CPUs but actually as an AMD fan boy I don't really think/hope.
What really sucks is the fact that all single-cores are 512kb only.
Well, at the time I'm able to get my hands on AM2 there won't be any single core CPUs on the market anymore.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Iš! Iš! Cthulhu fhtagn!
perplekks45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:21   #11
MiNiMaL_FuSS
ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

MiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming SaiyanMiNiMaL_FuSS is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Are we expecting much of a price drop om 939 when AM2 establishes itself?
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:27   #12
Morpheon
Multimodder

Morpheon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I am practically an AMD fanboy but this was just as boring as it gets....but I am quietly happy because now I don't feel compelled to upgrade my 6 month old X2 @ 2.8

We were all n00bs once...but its those that listen that seperates us from the rest.
My Rig! DFI-D Sli (OCZ Tony Bios) | 3800X2 2.8 (285*10) @ 1.58Vcore
OCZ 4000 Plat 2GB (2.5-4-4-8) 1T | DangerDen TDX (nozzle 4)CPU / Maze 4 GPU / DD5 Pump
ATi X1900XTX @ 780/850 | Antec True Blue 480W | 74GB Raptor (System) 750GB Segate (Storage)
Morpheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 14:46   #13
MrABC
Multimodder

MrABC has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
From the benchmarks i've seen of conroe, I don't think AM2 will beat it purely because conroe is far more efficient.
AMD did release some details about their next major core change (the K8L) but it won't come until they move to 65nm, which will be by end of this year (makes sense I suppose).
As for the AM2 Opterons, they will actually be on a new socket, Socket F. I don't know if AM2 or F are pin-compatible but I will guess that they won't be.
MrABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 15:26   #14
Drexial
Supermodder

Drexial has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Socket F is only for the 2xx Opterons, just like they are on 940 pin now. they will be on a 1207 pin socket F

the 1xx opterons will be available onthe AM2 socket

then for the first time, AMDs mobile processors will be on a different socet, which means no more just dropping a mobile processor into your motherboard and overclocking the crap out of it. the socket S1 will have 638 pins for the turion X2, which will as well suport DDR2. havent heard any news on it since it was anounced, so i dont know about desktop boards comming with it.
Drexial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 15:43   #15
bubsterboo
Hypermodder

bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hopping to see a price drop with the 939 amd models
bubsterboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:02   #16
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like waiting till 2007 to upgrade is the smartest move. Hopefully by then both the Intel and the AMD cores will be fully launched and tested against each other. I'm not a fan either way- i'll get the best performer/overclocker in my price range.

-ed out
Old 23rd May 2006, 17:25   #17
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As many have said here, I think I'll hold out til the final figures come in on the conroe and the next gen AM2s. I don't see enough here to pull me from my X2 4200+.
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:18   #18
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
I think I'll wait a while for AM2, especially after reading this.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 18:51   #19
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That was also mentioned in this article and its not too bad if you OC anyway.

Socket F is LGA which should be interesting to see how AMD does it but its not of much importance to me.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:35   #20
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wondered how long it be before bit tech did a review, while me eyes glared at the images on overlockers. Waited ages :P

Nice one guys