1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD's AM2: Athlon 64 FX-62 and X2 5000+

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 23 May 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

cant wait to get my hands on the new AM2 rig it will be good benchmarking

3. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

I will wait until the next bunch of AMD's or conroe

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I notice nothing was said about AM2 Opterons. Is AMD staying witrh s940 for their server line? Personally, I'm very happy with my dual 940 Mobo, but I hope AM2 will drive down the price on late model dual core Opteron 2xx's

5. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

interesting article, i agree with waiting untill conroe is released though. that should make things very interesting

I think i found a mistake on the last page.
    shouldn't that say "On AM2"?

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Looks like AM2 it is then for my next rig. I was all set for 939, as they have dropped £20 in the last few weeks already.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's looking like a fairly reasonable perf. jump to AM2 then, which is good news for AMD, but will it be enough to oust a Conroe rig? We've all (probably) seen the thread down in Hardware from XS, a Conroe getting a 10-second superpi, but can it hold up when the cache doesn't cover the whole thread? Only time will tell.

[edit] It's also worth noting that a 3000+ will be on AM2.

8. Lo Pan

Lo Pan What's a Dremel?

I think Conroe is going to die to this new socket. The Core Duo "pre-Conroe" chips only beat AM2 when overclocked...and this is the first core that came out as well. If AMD also moved to higher clock speeds like they announced....I'm calling AMD for now.

9. Kaboom22

Kaboom22 Minimodder

QFT, i was also hopeing for some information on opterons for the same reason (same board :naughty: )

10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well... so this didn't impress me much. It's what I thought AMD will bring us: The best non-oc chip on the market at the day it's launched. Conroe might have a chance to beat AMD's CPUs but actually as an AMD fan boy I don't really think/hope.
    What really sucks is the fact that all single-cores are 512kb only.
    Well, at the time I'm able to get my hands on AM2 there won't be any single core CPUs on the market anymore. :)

11. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Are we expecting much of a price drop om 939 when AM2 establishes itself?

12. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I am practically an AMD fanboy but this was just as boring as it gets....but I am quietly happy because now I don't feel compelled to upgrade my 6 month old X2 @ 2.8 :hip:

13. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

From the benchmarks i've seen of conroe, I don't think AM2 will beat it purely because conroe is far more efficient.
    AMD did release some details about their next major core change (the K8L) but it won't come until they move to 65nm, which will be by end of this year (makes sense I suppose).
    As for the AM2 Opterons, they will actually be on a new socket, Socket F. I don't know if AM2 or F are pin-compatible but I will guess that they won't be.

14. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

Socket F is only for the 2xx Opterons, just like they are on 940 pin now. they will be on a 1207 pin socket F

the 1xx opterons will be available onthe AM2 socket

then for the first time, AMDs mobile processors will be on a different socet, which means no more just dropping a mobile processor into your motherboard and overclocking the crap out of it. the socket S1 will have 638 pins for the turion X2, which will as well suport DDR2. havent heard any news on it since it was anounced, so i dont know about desktop boards comming with it.

15. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

Hopping to see a price drop with the 939 amd models :D

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Looks like waiting till 2007 to upgrade is the smartest move. Hopefully by then both the Intel and the AMD cores will be fully launched and tested against each other. I'm not a fan either way- i'll get the best performer/overclocker in my price range.

-ed out

17. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

As many have said here, I think I'll hold out til the final figures come in on the conroe and the next gen AM2s. I don't see enough here to pull me from my X2 4200+.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I think I'll wait a while for AM2, especially after reading this. :duh:

19. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

That was also mentioned in this article and its not too bad if you OC anyway.

Socket F is LGA which should be interesting to see how AMD does it but its not of much importance to me.

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Wondered how long it be before bit tech did a review, while me eyes glared at the images on overlockers. Waited ages :p

Nice one guys

Tags: Add Tags