bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th May 2006, 14:57   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Of Mice and Mats

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/...up_test/1.html
Old 25th May 2006, 14:58   #2
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The best mats are the cloth mats. I am no pro-gamer but dude play allot of games and gaming hardware is something I like to call my self an expert in. The best mice right now out are the G7 and G5. The G7 on its best days works as well as the a wired mice with out having to pull on the wire over and over. But because its a wireless mice the tracking goes down when the battery is low. Feels kind of laggy when low battery.

As far as mats the best are cloth. Most pro gamers still use cloth mats because they give the mice a good texture to point its laser off. But from what I see these new mice (laser 2000Dpi+) have the ability work well on glass and shinny surface as well. But I still think the laser mice work better on cloth then shinny glass like surface.

Last edited by Marquee; 25th May 2006 at 15:04.
Marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 15:02   #3
Xen0phobiak
SMEGHEADS!

Xen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the DremelXen0phobiak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquee
The best mats are the cloth mats.
Notion signed.

I had a giganta, then a speedpad, now I'm on a megamat and I don't think I'll ever go back to hard pads. I have no problem with it not being as sensitive as a hard pad.

World of Tanks profile
Xen0phobiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 15:06   #4
ContingenctPlan
Minimodder

ContingenctPlan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm using a hybrid cloth/hard mat - the Steelpad 5L, which I've been very pleased with. The only complaint I have is that the graphic looks more vibrant in the marketing samples (much like the G5 looks nicer in marketing pics too).

Last edited by ContingenctPlan; 25th May 2006 at 15:39.
ContingenctPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 15:41   #5
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You guys are psychic, as first you do an AM2 article, now a mouse article. All you need next is a keyboard article and I'm sorted on choices for my next rig.

I like the looks of the Microsoft Mouse, as it suits us left-handers and the shape is very similar to other great MS Mice. Is it worth the extra spend though on a mat, when you can easily do without?
Old 25th May 2006, 15:48   #6
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Razor ProSolution 1.6=UGLY

That Razor ProSolution 1.6 os a one bland mouse, that biege finish looks like it came from some Swansee office building... not retro, nor cool. The Logitech on the other hand... nice!

My signature dumped me...
Old 25th May 2006, 15:53   #7
RTT
#parp

RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.RTT is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
The cord is just the standard rubberised Microsoft job
It isn't - its a very slim, lightweight cable - unless this is now the standard cable? It never used to be if that is actually the case
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 15:55   #8
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what is with putting the 'thumb' buttons on either side :\
mx518 > g5 just for that reason imo
the on the fly dpi adjustment thing is a bit of a gimmick really, the only time i've ever used it was deployed rocket launcher on dod:s
and even then i forget 9 times out of 10

huge cloth mat = win imo too
i have the huge everglide one

theres only one keyboard i would consider buying now too, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=043
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 15:59   #9
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlow
I like the looks of the Microsoft Mouse, as it suits us left-handers and the shape is very similar to other great MS Mice. Is it worth the extra spend though on a mat, when you can easily do without?
I never game without a mouse mat these days
Old 25th May 2006, 16:23   #10
Garside
Supermodder

Garside has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When I was younger I played with some Counterstrike clans in the pro gaming circuit - and no matter what mouse the best players used they always ended up remaining the best.

The thing that made the most different to their game was significant changes in game setup. Put 4kings Mangiacapra on a different resolution, with buttons placed in different positions to the ones he has practiced with and his game would be severly disrupted.

I see mice and micemats as similar to football boots to footballers. It may make the experience nicer, but give Ronaldhino a pair of pit boots and he will still be the best in the world!
Garside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 16:24   #11
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish
the on the fly dpi adjustment thing is a bit of a gimmick really, the only time i've ever used it was deployed rocket launcher on dod:s
and even then i forget 9 times out of 10
I disagree - I find it very useful as I like it my mouse really sensitive and my gf doesn't... so much easier to push a button when she uses it than to go into mouse settings all the time!

Also, I find it great in gaming. In games like CSS where when you scope with awm/scout, you can either turn it up a notch to counter the slowdown of movements, and down a notch to get some really accurate shooting!

Now the weights... they're gimmicky - I just loaded all the heaviest ones in!
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 16:27   #12
eek
CAMRA ***.

eek has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garside
When I was younger I played with some Counterstrike clans in the pro gaming circuit - and no matter what mouse the best players used they always ended up remaining the best.

The thing that made the most different to their game was significant changes in game setup. Put 4kings Mangiacapra on a different resolution, with buttons placed in different positions to the ones he has practiced with and his game would be severly disrupted.

I see mice and micemats as similar to football boots to footballers. It may make the experience nicer, but give Ronaldhino a pair of pit boots and he will still be the best in the world!
True, an expensive mouse won't suddenly make you the best player in the world however it will make you the most comfortable!

Cheap mice never feel as nice to use and never fit your hand that well. The G5 even has a textured (feels like sandpaper at first) material where your fingers go and for ppl with sweaty hands like me it makes a world of difference
eek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 16:50   #13
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming SaiyanMister_Tad is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
It sports a button on each side as well as the standard tilt-wheel, for sideways scrolling as well as up down. For those who prefer one over the other, the wheel is a 'rollie' rather than a 'clickie', which may put you off if you're a next-weapon-on-click-up type.
interesting, I've got a wired laser mouse 6000 and it has a clicky non-tilt wheel
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 16:51   #14
lepre
Supermodder

lepre has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bigz:
i knew the microsoft wireless version you refer to has a different laser sensor than the one reviewed here. are you sure that's only the same without the cord...

for what i remember the sensor in the wireless is made from a different manufacturer (the one who made the optical sensor for the previous intellimouses) and the one in the corded one is from the same as the logitech.

and it's said that the one in the wireless is far better...but...it's wireless

i hope you can find out more about this...and tell me

edit:
right there on the MS hardware site:
for the wireless

if you can't read, it says: Microsoft® High Definition Laser Technology

for the corded

just Microsoft® LASER Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Tad
interesting, I've got a wired laser mouse 6000 and it has a clicky non-tilt wheel
i was forgetting this too! the ones i have seen all had the old style wheel!

Last edited by lepre; 25th May 2006 at 17:08.
lepre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 16:57   #15
Hamish
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Hamish has yet to learn the way of the DremelHamish has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek
I disagree - I find it very useful as I like it my mouse really sensitive and my gf doesn't... so much easier to push a button when she uses it than to go into mouse settings all the time!

Also, I find it great in gaming. In games like CSS where when you scope with awm/scout, you can either turn it up a notch to counter the slowdown of movements, and down a notch to get some really accurate shooting!

Now the weights... they're gimmicky - I just loaded all the heaviest ones in!
i dont find it useful for gaming purposes at all, i can see how it might be for a shared machine, but no-one touches my computer

personally i like my mouse very sensitive too but i dont have any problem just moving my hand less for accurate shots
i have mouse acceleration on too, maybe that has something to do with it

the weights is actually a good idea imo, i hate heavy mice, i'd definately pull all teh weights out
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 17:25   #16
Stanmanfoo
Multimodder

Stanmanfoo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Something to point out that I don't think was said in the review, is that the G5 scroll wheel is quite unique: you can push it to the left or right and have each direction do another function. The default is left and right scroll, but using the configuration software you can change it to whatever you like (in my case, right is backstab and left is feint )
Stanmanfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 17:41   #17
monkeyville
Evilish Monkey ++;

monkeyville has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought an everglide a while back and the thing has warped after about a year so much so that the mouse rocks on it.

As for gaming well i use an old MS intellimouse as i am so used to it. Can't stand using my MS bluetooth mouse in games coz it just isnt fast enough

-=|My Site|=-

"If crime fighters fight crime, and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?"
monkeyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 17:48   #18
ContingenctPlan
Minimodder

ContingenctPlan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanmanfoo
Something to point out that I don't think was said in the review, is that the G5 scroll wheel is quite unique: you can push it to the left or right and have each direction do another function. The default is left and right scroll, but using the configuration software you can change it to whatever you like (in my case, right is backstab and left is feint )
The Mouse3 button (clicking down the scroll wheel) is horrible on the G5, however: it's too hard.
ContingenctPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 18:13   #19
bloodcar
Mod Master

bloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for presidentbloodcar should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlow
You guys are psychic, as first you do an AM2 article, now a mouse article. All you need next is a keyboard article and I'm sorted on choices for my next rig.

Easy, the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. Pain in the arse to get used to typing on but it sure is confortable.
Old 25th May 2006, 18:14   #20
[cibyr]
Sometimes posts here

[cibyr] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the sensitivity buttons on my MX518 mapped to pageup and pagedown instead, I leave the sensitivty set on 1600dpi all the time. MX518 > G5 or G7 simply for number of buttons, the more the merrier and not having two thumb buttons hurts.

A guy across the hall from me has the MS laser 6000 (clicky, non-sideways wheel) and I must admit it tracks better than the 518. Too light though, and lacking buttons.

I also own a MS wireless notebook optical 4000 (1000 dpi, non-clicky sideways-scrolling whell) and while the form factor rocks for portability (snap the reciever into the base and chuck it in backback) and it's still on it's first AA battery (after 6 months) the scroll wheel/MOUSE3 pisses me off. It's hard to scroll vertically and even harder to click the damm thing. Otherwise a great mouse, and the only mouse i've ever been able to use on-the-move (beats a touchpad hands-down lol).