Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
When Titans Collide

http://www.bit-tech.net/columns/2006...collide/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 14:58   #2
Ramble
Ginger Nut

Ramble has yet to learn the way of the DremelRamble has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Someone's been reading Dvorak...

Anyway, it's just not going to happen, and many of the features you mentioned in OS X are going to be in Vista anyway.

If OS X and WIndows merged, I'd move to Linux (again).
Old 31st May 2006, 15:24   #3
GauteHauk
Minimodder

GauteHauk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes, but no!? (OH NOES)

Personally, I believe that however smart such a decision would be, they won't do it. No, not because they're "enemies", but rather, if the companies did merge, it would create a lot of redundant workers. Or rather, make a lot of workers' jobs redundant and, therefore, unneccesary expenses.

I think a merger would probably put a lot of people out of jobs and create a more powerful mindset of, "OH NOES! MONOPOLY!! KILL IT BEFORE IT GETS TOO BIG!" But that has already come to pass with MS, I guess.

Who would be their major competitor, then?
Old 31st May 2006, 15:34   #4
DarkReaper
Alignment: Sarcastic Good

DarkReaper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting perspective, although I can't see it happening from my blinkered point of view.
DarkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 16:10   #5
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So much potential... I don't know about a merge, but perhaps a colaboration... I wouldn't mind a monopoly if the product was good. eg: I wouldn't mind if all the cars in the world were ferrari.

- ed out
Old 31st May 2006, 16:44   #6
jezmck
I Mod, Therefore I Own

jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!jezmck - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
It seems unlikely to me.
I think it would be interesting to hear both side's official arguments why they would and wouldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty naughty Brett Thomas
off of
Old 31st May 2006, 16:57   #7
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzle
It seems unlikely to me.
I think it would be interesting to hear both side's official arguments why they would and wouldn't do it.
Don't know what the official arguments would be, but the reason is money: there's more money to be made from selling two OSs than from selling one. To make it worthwhile the WinOSX or whatever it will be called should cost as much as Vista+OSX and I'm not sure many people could afford that.

-ed out
Old 31st May 2006, 18:09   #8
Lovah
Apple and Canon fanboy

Lovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for presidentLovah should be considered for president
I didn't even read the article. The intro spooked me enough!
I love being part of the apple-minority. I don't miss anything about Windows so I don't see how any part of Windows could improve anything about OS X.

But I guess I should just shut up and reat the article already.. maybe at work tomorrow.

L
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz | iMac 27" i7 | iPad 2 16GB WIFI
Lovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 19:02   #9
Lynx
Hypermodder

Lynx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think there are two issues here. The first is the ethos which for apple is basically if you have to think about how to do something its not easy enough. The second is the UI and other gubbins. I agree the first should be common bettween the two OS's. However I do not belive the second should be there should be choice and at the moment I prefer the OSX way of doing things but if MS get windows working nicely thier way is just as valid.

On another point you seem to go on about how windows has to run drivers and processes to deal with USB devices. I belive OSX has to do exactly the same thing and handles things like devices being yanked out alot more gratiously than windows. Do not confuse bad programming with the necessity of backwards compatibiltiy.

Can I also say your comment about how cpu power is making code efficiency be "no longer required" is exactly how we get into messes where you need a massive GFX card 15GB and a 1.5Ghz CPU just to RUN THE OS! Let alone get anything done. Is this a situation we should be in?

Last edited by Lynx; 31st May 2006 at 19:08.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 20:31   #10
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
the article is good, but...... a merger between both would be a catastrophy, a huge f***ing monopoly, even linux would not stand a chance.

but this is a possibility, M$ is making keybords and mice for macs
Old 31st May 2006, 23:03   #11
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
both OS's are pretty pants considering how few features you have in them that can't be replicated in linux.
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 23:08   #12
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

I'm already using openSUSE on my secondary machine and as soon as comercial games run well on it i'll dump windows.

-ed out
Old 31st May 2006, 23:28   #13
neocleous
Supermodder

neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.neocleous is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
To me whatís more likely then a merger is MS buying Apple if they could sort the legalities of it out. Lets be honest the whole Macs are faster then PC's etc argument is pretty redundant now that there using Intel CPU's and you can easily compare the two.
I mean if you can get XP on a Mac i'm sure it wonít be long before MAC OS is on a PC assuming drivers for hard ware comes out and there is greater software support in general.
Personally I think Apple have made a mistake using Intel CPUís because their machines look very underpowered compared to a PC of similar price Apples main attraction over a PC is design and to the hardcore fan software.
neocleous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 23:33   #14
customh
conflagration.

customh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hell, if major software manufacturers would support Linux they would be on an even playing field if MS and Apple were to merge, not?
customh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2006, 00:47   #15
radziecki
What's a Dremel?

radziecki has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Merging creates monopoly. Monopoly is no good at all. It slows down the evolution, allows the company to dictate higher prices, and so on.

Luckily, I don't think this will happen.
Old 1st Jun 2006, 01:49   #16
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting idea, but I think radziecki (welcome to Bit, btw) said everything that needs to be said. We only see change when there's competition, and in theory this applies to pricing too (of course, Microsoft is far too egotistical to see this). If ATI and nVidia merged, we'd either stay with the x17900GTXOCPro eternally or have each new generation that roughly doubles performance also roughly double in price.

Sure, I'd love the best of both worlds, but I don't want a merger either.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2006, 02:01   #17
exavier412
Multimodder

exavier412 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovah
I didn't even read the article. The intro spooked me enough!
I love being part of the apple-minority. I don't miss anything about Windows so I don't see how any part of Windows could improve anything about OS X.

L
i read the article, but i'm going to be honest. i was a PC user all my life until this past october, and in no way do i ever wish to go back/use a windows machine. no ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocleous
To me whatís more likely then a merger is MS buying Apple if they could sort the legalities of it out. Lets be honest the whole Macs are faster then PC's etc argument is pretty redundant now that there using Intel CPU's and you can easily compare the two.
I mean if you can get XP on a Mac i'm sure it wonít be long before MAC OS is on a PC assuming drivers for hard ware comes out and there is greater software support in general.
Personally I think Apple have made a mistake using Intel CPUís because their machines look very underpowered compared to a PC of similar price Apples main attraction over a PC is design and to the hardcore fan software.
i'm pretty sure we've came to the conclusion that an equally spec'd computer with the same components as a macbook pro (for example) will be quite comparable in price.

oh, and about the article, i dont see a merging coming, but i think the next gen equipment/os (probably after vista) will defiinitely change some things.
PS3 40GB
Samsung LN46A550 TV
exavier412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2006, 02:26   #18
Nezuji
Multimodder

Nezuji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If you're happy to throw processor cycles and memory away in the name of compatability, then we really ought to be talking about 100% virtualised operating systems; In theory, completely stable, and almost attack-proof. The thing is, that in theory, they also lead to a destabilisation of existing software monopolies...

On the idea of a merger: That's nonsense, frankly. Monopoly concerns aside, Apple and Microsoft make two different products for two different markets. It's like the difference between a Dremel and a table saw: Although they're both cutting tools, you're not going to cut cleanly through a 3-inch-thick plank with a Dremel, nor are you going to do a good job of engraving with a table saw.

Nezuji

Last edited by Nezuji; 1st Jun 2006 at 02:32.
Nezuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2006, 02:29   #19
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehed
x17900GTXOCPro
I want one of those.

You have a point but I wouldnt want to see the merger ever happen. It would be an easy excuse to raise prices and eventualy stiffle inovation.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2006, 03:38   #20
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
While these two companies are fumbling around in the dark to try and imitate what the other side perfected long ago, technology continues to increase at a rapid rate. CPU speed is increasing tremendously, and HDDs are now capable of perpendicular storage (increasing both size and speed). We are moving towards an era where two gigabytes of RAM will be mainstream. That's plenty of RAM for multiple, more specific drivers, and plenty of speed to support a database file structure. Code efficiency is no longer such a requirement due to sheer horsepower, and can finally take a back seat to user efficiency.
While i'm all for more resources in the mainstream too, i'm still a firm believer that bloated code has no place in the computing landscape. When i make the step to add more to my system - more memory, more storage, more speed - i don't want it to be with more overhead. Hell, just keep adding that overhead and what happens? That shiny new video card, or extra gig of ram just slowed your system down... Things need to be more efficient, not just more powerful.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote