bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Jun 2006, 10:22   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Microsoft Stops Vista Torrent Downloads

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/06...sta_downloads/
Old 19th Jun 2006, 10:46   #2
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Happened a while ago, but I managed to snag the x64 torrent from vistatorrent before it was shut down. After I got 96% done downloading it directly from MS and then having it crash out on me. Whatever, I'm still seeding it. Still haven't bothered using it yet though... need to get another (!) hard drive before I worry about playing around with a buggy beta version of OSX minus the useful stuff.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2006, 10:51   #3
bender386
Supermodder

bender386 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
thats microsoft for you. they screw even the people trying to help them.
bender386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2006, 11:29   #4
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
not really bender, they cant, as they said, make sure the torrent is gunuine. Anyone could modify the ISO and share it again leading to a large wave of hacked vista Beta PCs -- that wont look good at all for MS, and no one will listen when they say it is not their fault.

The only way they could get it to work is by doing md5 hashes / or others of the iso, however this is no real guarantee.

They are clearly just being as carefull as they can be, and you really can not blame them!
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2006, 22:52   #5
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i dont undestand the problem, it just takes more load off microsofts servers, i bet their just upset they didnt think of it first
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2006, 01:03   #6
SeBbY_007
Supermodder

SeBbY_007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooadam
i dont undestand the problem
Like Buzzons said, imagine if one of the torrents was modified in such a way it contained a virus, spyware etc. Then this maybe caused people to lose data, people would be up in arms complaining to Microsoft, resulting in bad publicity, as if they need anymore. Sure the morals were good of the people who set the site up, but do you think if you were in Microsoft position you would allow it?

Microsoft are doing everyone a good deal anyway, they are practically giving an Operating System away, so it may contain bugs. Why can Microsoft never do any good in most people's eyes?
SeBbY_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2006, 15:20   #7
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

so what, that's a risk with all torrents isn't it, why is vista any different
They shouldn't endorse the torrent, or they should distribute the torrent file, but issuing a cease and desist order to the site supplying their OS
And especially when their not providing it because their servers cannot handle it
Old 20th Jun 2006, 16:21   #8
cpu121
Supermodder

cpu121 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But you're still going to get ignorant people who blame the problems caused by a virus in the torrent on Microsoft no matter how many disclaimers there are. Microsoft are simply doing this to protect their reputation and the reputation of Vista.
cpu121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2006, 16:24   #9
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu121
But you're still going to get ignorant people who blame the problems caused by a virus in the torrent on Microsoft no matter how many disclaimers there are. Microsoft are simply doing this to protect their reputation and the reputation of Vista.
but then again you can blame windows for a whole host of things, people haven't bitched about torrents having viruses before, why would a vista torrent be any different ... why should it, if the torrent site has a disclaimer, you should read and achknowledge it, how you can blame MS is beyond me
Old 20th Jun 2006, 22:23   #10
severedhead
Ultramodder

severedhead has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't see the point in the Vista torrent when you can get it direct from MS with a license key and a much faster download rate
My copy downloaded at quite a healthy ~650K throughout.
severedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2006, 22:29   #11
unrealhippie
Ultramodder

unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!unrealhippie - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
This is such a total REPOST
unrealhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2006, 22:48   #12
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by severedhead
I can't see the point in the Vista torrent when you can get it direct from MS with a license key and a much faster download rate
My copy downloaded at quite a healthy ~650K throughout.
you cant, they stopped it, hence the site was created
MS's servers were getting so hammered they had to stop (or slow) the downloads
Old 21st Jun 2006, 00:29   #13
severedhead
Ultramodder

severedhead has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I see, didn't realise that.
severedhead is offline   Reply With Quote