1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 23 Jun 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Gracias for the WSGF mention. :D

An interesting look - seems that they must have sorted out some of the issues that have been rampant with the earlier versions. I'm still happy with my 2405, even though the 2407 looks nicer... :naughty:

There is a huge thread in the WSGF about the banding problems...

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i got my 2407 a few weeks ago after following its somewhat troubled A00 release. after getting an A01 panel and playing about with it I could'nt be more pleased. :thumb:

4. RTT

RTT #parp

I have two A01s and the problem is almost not a problem in this revision - it's so, so, so minor. I'm really picky about issues like these and I'm not contemplating exchanging these at all.

As the article says - if you don't live in photoshop you have nothing to worry about (and less so with A01 and beyond).

5. dabblet®

dabblet® What's a Dremel?

For what it's worth I have no problems at all with mine under desktop use over dvi or component video connection.

Banding is easily apparent on gaming and multimedia modes - easy solution is - don't use 'em :)

Gaming is great - working is as much a pleasure as it can be ;)

6. gpw111

gpw111 What's a Dremel?

so whats better then - a 2407 or a SyncMaster 244T??

I'm kinda thinkin of splashin out on a 24in widescreen. I must confess that the issues with the dell seem to have been resolved now and it does look a lot nicer than the samsung. So would the dell be the best choice?

7. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

The monitor has component which the article mentions could be used for a 360 but you didn't test one on it.

I think it would be worthwhile to do this seeing as the monitor has HDCP and the 360 has an HD-DVD drive on the way.

That is, if you have a 360 :confused:

8. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I just ordered one :-D

:wub: Dell employee purchase plan.... I hope I get one of the good revisions. What can I do if I get an A00?

9. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Yes it would, because it looks so mucher nicer. And also, with it's thin frames, it just "blends into the background", as Wil said in the review.

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

*cough* too much money *cough*

j/k RTT...

If i had the money I'd do a triple screen setup most definantly!

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Ultimately, the choice depends on whether you want the USB 2.0 ports and Card Reader and/or spend a lot of time in PhotoShop. If you're not spending lots of time in PS, the Dell is 'as good' as the SyncMaster 244T.

Price fluctuation is another thing to consider too.

12. customh

customh conflagration.

Im convinced, ill buy one of these when its priority number comes about...when i have a laptop, an ipod, new sunglasses, a gokart...sorry there...

13. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Just a question: is there a way when ordering the monitor to make sure you end up with a newer monitor/panel revision?

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I've been using a 20" Dell Widescreen for a number of months now and I've been more than happy with it (although a 24" Widescreen would be nice...) There is a slight light bleed issue when the screen is completely black, but I don't tend to notice it in normal use (or playing games on the 360, which it's used more for these days).
    I did try a PS2 plugged into the Video RCA cable but I got to be honest, the PS2 looked better on a normal TV.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think there is... however, you should be able to exchange the monitor without issue if it happens. I have no idea what Dell is shipping at the moment (aside from the monitor we recieved). I would hazard a guess that the early monitors are no longer shipping though.

16. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I own a 2405FPW and I don't think this monitor is a big enough jump in terms of what it offers to be worth the upgrade. HDMI is nice, but it will still suffer from the same problems all LCDs have at the moment :(

My biggest bugbear is that no LCD can display black so you end up with murky greys where the black should be, and I've not seen an LCD yet that can deal with very dark scenes. I'm hopeful that LED backlit screens might yet offer a solution to this, but we'll have to see.

The second bugbear is colour reproduction, my 2405FPW pales in comparison to my 2070u. With HDMI 1.3 able to carry higher colour depth signals there may be light at the end of the tunnel, but at the end of the day it is up to the quality of the panel.

Finally DVI and HDMI are an inexcusable hack for providing a digital connection to PC monitors and should have been replaced years ago. Neither connection can drive resolutions above 1920x1200 and even at that resolution the capacity of the link is being stretched. My Leadtek 6600GT does not provide a great signal at this resolution and this is a noticable amount of tearing during video scenes and a general fuzziness. Hopefully Displayport or UDI will be ratified shortly and bring a merciful end to HDMI and DVI on the desktop as well as driving up resolutions of panels.

So to sum up I won't be buying a 2407FPW ;)

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

JADS - there's no HDMI support. HDCP, yes, but no HDMI (the former being a protection protocol, the latter is a physical connector type, basically DVI+coax audio in a thin little plug). The only digital input on the display is the DVI.

I've loved my 2405FPW since day one, and no problems with it. My only qualm, if you could call it that, is that it takes about two seconds longer than my 2005FPW to resume from standby (though, as a reviewer noted, you will NOT notice this unless you have them both side-by-side, as I do). Having multiple inputs is an absolute godsend - with a $20 component video switcher I picked up at Gamestop, I can have some insane amount of things hooked up to it - and I do.

I suppose my only issue is upscaling low-resolution (DVD and console-quality) content. You'd expect this upping no higher than 480p content to over 1080p, but it's still rather nasty. It's quite ugly unless you're at TV-viewing distances from it, so unless you like moving your chair all over the place, it can become mildly problematic. Same thing happens on my 2005FPW, but it's not as bad seeing as it's both smaller and lower-resolution. That plus I have a *really* cheap DVD player, which has pretty bad output to begin with.

RTT - unfair. I just wish I had a desk that big.

I think I'll hold out on buying any more monitor-related stuff until the 2409s or whatever, which darn well better be varying-intensity LED backlit a la Brightside HDR display. I know some sort of varying-CCFL solution would infringe on their IP patents, but I wonder whether at least being able to turn off a couple cathodes entirely on the top and bottom (assuming they run horizontally) would if you have it set to movie mode - properly black blackbars above and below (until all movie releases are in an actual 16:9 AR anyways, rather than the 1.85-2.40 we have now).

Still, it's a good thing to hear that the newer-revision panels seem to be holding up better to testing than the early ones, with massive banding and whatnot. Just had to check - 20" is only $370 right now, 24" is $800. Apparently Dell's aggressive pricing has brought down some other similar panels though, which is nice - there are some options in the price range now. 2405FPWs are running around $700ish on eBay right now (which reminds me... I should sell my 2005fpw, since I don't think I'll have room for it at college next year)

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

dell finally gave you a screen to review ? kool stuff, nice to see BT review the 2407WFP (wasnt the older model the 2407FPW)

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I wonder how it compares to the 2405?

Looks nice, but i seriously doubt it's enough to tempt me away from the 2405... which I love to bits.

20. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I really should read reviews properly ;) The new Benq 24" features an HDMI socket so I assumed that the new Dell would to, but DVI with HDCP? Well at least it is compatible with HDMI , but you'll have some oddities with HDMI colour palettes.

Out of interest why has no one developed true widescreen TFTs yet? If you think about it the current standard 16:9 is mainly due to limitations of CRT technology, but LCDs can be manufactured in any shape. A true widescreen display would be in 2.39:1 format and thus able to display the majority of films full sceen as opposed to a tiny thin strip in the centre of the screen ;)

Last edited: 24 Jun 2006
Tags: Add Tags