bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 9th Aug 2013, 09:24   #1
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Thin mitx board for Ivy bridge i5?

Hi.

I have an Ivy i5 and would like to use it in a very slim SFF build.
Seems like most slim mSATA boards with external power supply can handle up to 65W TDP, like this board for ex.

Ivy i5 does 77W TDP.

Any suggestions?

Follow me on: http://www.facebook.com/enannanvision
quizz_kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 11:26   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Get an i5-xxxxS/T. They have 65 or 35W TDP.

The i5-3475S for example has 65W TDP and the HD4000 graphics.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 12:38   #3
quizz_kid
Squid

quizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youquizz_kid - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Get an i5-xxxxS/T. They have 65 or 35W TDP.

The i5-3475S for example has 65W TDP and the HD4000 graphics.

The thing is I want to use the i5 3550 I have...

Old 9th Aug 2013, 12:59   #4
quizz_kid
Squid

I have a 120W 24pin PICO DC supply if that would give me more options?

Old 9th Aug 2013, 13:53   #5
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
I have a 120W 24pin PICO DC supply if that would give me more options?
If you've got a 120W picoPSU and the i5-3550 allready, then I'd suggest a standard H77 miniITX-board, which are available for $100. The thin miniITX-boards with onboard-PSU and external powerbrick are all limited to 65W and there's only the boards form intel and Gigabyte.

Old 9th Aug 2013, 14:02   #6
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
If you've got a 120W picoPSU and the i5-3550 allready, then I'd suggest a standard H77 miniITX-board, which are available for $100. The thin miniITX-boards with onboard-PSU and external powerbrick are all limited to 65W and there's only the boards form intel and Gigabyte.
Ok, thanks. But the H77's I've seen have a p4 socket, and my PICO psu lacks of an P4 connector... Is there a way around that? Steal some 12v's from the 24-pin connector somehow maybe?

Old 9th Aug 2013, 14:46   #7
jrs77
theorycrafting

Quote:
Ok, thanks. But the H77's I've seen have a p4 socket, and my PICO psu lacks of an P4 connector... Is there a way around that? Steal some 12v's from the 24-pin connector somehow maybe?
All the desktop intel CPUs require the P4-power-connector. The reason for the thin miniITX not having them visible is the integrated PSU-circuitry.

So either go with thin miniITX and buy a new CPU with lower TDP or use your current CPU and buy a "normal" miniITX-board in addition to a new picoPSU like the XT150. There's no way to modify your old picoPSU with a P4-connector.

Old 9th Aug 2013, 17:12   #8
mingingbollock
Hypermodder

mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mingingbollock is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
All the desktop intel CPUs require the P4-power-connector. The reason for the thin miniITX not having them visible is the integrated PSU-circuitry.

So either go with thin miniITX and buy a new CPU with lower TDP or use your current CPU and buy a "normal" miniITX-board in addition to a new picoPSU like the XT150. There's no way to modify your old picoPSU with a P4-connector.
Why not the P4 connector is only 2x 12v and 2x ground , easily taken from a std molex ?
mingingbollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2013, 17:27   #9
dullonien
Master of the unfinished.

dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dullonien is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingingbollock View Post
Why not the P4 connector is only 2x 12v and 2x ground , easily taken from a std molex ?
World that provide the required power though?
Main SilverStone FT03B | 2500K@4.0GHz | Corsair H70 | Maximus IV Gene-Z | 16GB DDR3 | Zotac GTX 470 | Corsair AX750 | 2 x HP ZR24w's | Server Antec 300 | Q6600 | Corsair H50 | EVGA 680i Sli | 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD4870 | Corsair HX520 | HighPoint RocketRAID 2680SGL | Renderer Lian-Li V300 | E6600 | Titan Fenrir | Abit Fatal1ty F-190HD | 4GB DDR2 | HIS X1950XT | Storage 12.5TB of Seagate HDD's |
dullonien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2013, 01:24   #10
jrs77
theorycrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingingbollock View Post
Not possible, as it would overload the PSU. The modern picoPSUs have two circuits to prevent this.

Old 10th Aug 2013, 14:44   #11
quizz_kid
Squid

I'll just get another PicoPSU then, thanks!

Old 11th Aug 2013, 17:45   #12
quizz_kid
Squid

My friend has a Pico PSU with P4, but it's from molex as this one:

This won't work?

Old 11th Aug 2013, 18:36   #13
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
The Gigabytes's thin ITX boards supports 77W cpus : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4338#ov

The difference with Intel ones is that the Gigabyte's limits the PCIe 4x connector to 25W instead of 35W
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2013, 13:44   #14
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
The Gigabytes's thin ITX boards supports 77W cpus : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4338#ov

The difference with Intel ones is that the Gigabyte's limits the PCIe 4x connector to 25W instead of 35W
The thing is I wanted an mITX with onboard power, and they don't support over 65W cpus. But I'm going to get an Intel dh77df and use a pico PSU instead.

Old 12th Aug 2013, 14:03   #15
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
The thing is I wanted an mITX with onboard power, and they don't support over 65W cpus. But I'm going to get an Intel dh77df and use a pico PSU instead.
Sorry, I gave you the wrong link :

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4463#sp
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4462#sp

These 2 thin ITX boards, with onboard power, both support 77W CPU. Only keep in mind that the PCIe-4x expansion slot is limited to 25W, compared to the 35W with the Intel boards.
Old 12th Aug 2013, 15:12   #16
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
Sorry, I gave you the wrong link :

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4463#sp
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4462#sp

These 2 thin ITX boards, with onboard power, both support 77W CPU. Only keep in mind that the PCIe-4x expansion slot is limited to 25W, compared to the 35W with the Intel boards.
Oh, that's great news. I'm not going to use the PCIe-4x anyway. I'll go for the GA-B75TN then, thanks a lot Guille!!

Old 12th Aug 2013, 16:04   #17
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

You're welcome. The good thing is that this board is less restrictive than the Intel ones about the laptop brick voltage. It accepts anything from 12V to 19V, where the Intel board accept only 19V brick.
Old 12th Aug 2013, 16:55   #18
quizz_kid
Squid

Quote:
You're welcome. The good thing is that this board is less restrictive than the Intel ones about the laptop brick voltage. It accepts anything from 12V to 19V, where the Intel board accept only 19V brick.
That's nice, cause I have a 12v brick laying around.

Old 14th Aug 2013, 10:43   #19
ghostyjack
What's a Dremel?

ghostyjack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got a Gigabyte GA-H77TH Thin Mini ITX board and according to the website it supports up to 77W chips.

I can't prove they are right though as I'm running 66W chip.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2013, 10:45   #20
ghostyjack
What's a Dremel?

ghostyjack has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like GuilleAcoustic beet me to this.

Oh well, I should learn to read the whole thread before putting in my 2 pence worth.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode