1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple magsafe melting

Discussion in 'Software' started by Atomsk, 25 Jun 2006.

1. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Thought you guys should see this I was using my macbook pro in bed earlier and I started smelling a burning smell and look down at my laptop and see that the magsafe power cable is melting :eeek: I am on the phone with apple right now to see what they are going to do I am just thankfull that I was using it when this happened otherwise It could have burnt down my apartment or something :worried:

[​IMG]

2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

This isn't the first time it happened... demand a new computer pronto and also something for the 'time lost' and 'grief' caused by an Apple product almost burning your house down...

... otherwise you go to the press/large mac fan sites.

They should crumble and give-in to your demands pretty easily going by what happened the last time this happened.

3. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Well I guess Im too nice of a person I just asked them to overnight a new one and they said no problem they ofcourse asked me lots of questions about was I injured, did it cause any damage to property around it, were there any fumes :eyebrow: etc... but they were very nice and apologetic so that was enough for me although it would have been nice for like a gift card or something :naughty:

4. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Yeah... last time this happened, they fixed it swiftly and tried to take/took all info of it ever happening down from the web.

They don't want another scandal concerning the build quality and safety of their products, thankfully, this type of thing is rare but it really shouldn't happen at all.

If it was me, i'd try to milk as much out of it as I can but then I can be rather cheeky at times! :naughty:

5. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

lol I just sent the guy a follow up email saying that I want some kind of assurance that this wont happen again lets see what apple can do for me after all they still wont fully fix the heat and whinning issues :waah: if it comes down to it I know an apple OS X developer that I can contact and see what kind of contacts and friends he has that can get my issues up to the top :thumb:

6. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

interestingly, in the concept of manufacturing, it's almost impossible to ensure that every product you ship will be free from defects... most manufacturers abide by a 3 sigma range, or 2700 parts per million with defects (.27%) though a few (motorola for instance) strive for 6 sigma manufacturing... meaning 2 parts per billion might have a defect (.0000002%), which in most cases is pretty damn good

i'm not sure what level apple sets their standards to other than being iso 14001 certified, which has nothing to do with defects, but to do with environmental impact due to manufacturing

in other words... defects happen, manufacturers strive to reduce them as much as possible, but machines can only be so efficient, and statistical process control can only cover so much

7. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Well I understand that defects happen but here lately apple has seemed to not accept that things are issues like the heating problem they finally admitted the whinning problem was an issue but there have been multiple magsafe issues and apple has repeatidly tried to cover them up. All I want is for apple to admit the is a problem and say that they will try to fix it.

8. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i'm still not quite sure how that managed to melt... only thing i could think of was a power surge/too much draw for some reason, as that are of my mbp never even gets remotely warm.

though the whine does get annoying, but i associate that with hdd/internal fan, which is very rarely on in mine

9. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I dont think it was a power surge because nothing else that was connected to the surge protector was effected(desktop and stereo equipment.) There have been several other people with similar issues with the magsafe connector so I think it is just a manufacturing flaw or something.

10. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

just saw this on gizmodo, totally agree you should definately get a new laptop and some compensation for the fact you "could" have been "seriously injured" :)

11. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

:hehe: I doubt they would give me a new laptop but if they did it would imediatly be sold to finish paying off my current one lol. lol I didnt think I would be on the front page of gizmodo :D

12. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Woah thats pretty extreme. Take it back to apple and see what they say.

Also, you look like Jack Black.

13. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

I have already talked to apple and they are overnighting me a new one but I told them I will expect nothing less than proof that they fixed the problem and this will never happen again or some kind of compensation :naughty: oh and thanks for the jack black compliment

14. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

What can I do though if they ask me to remove the pictures do they have the right to do that or can I fight them anyone know? I know I will first respond for a free macbook I will remove them :D

15. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Just say 'gimme a new macbook' and then remove it... they can't stop you from posting it as it's your hardware, your web space and your pictures.

16. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Ok good I will see what apples next move is its getting pretty big, I have seen my story on digg and other places and my friend just notified me he submitted it to slashdot. I just think the public really needs to know about this. It would be cool if one of the admins for bit-tech could put it as a news thread on the front page :D

17. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Well the last time this happened (exact same incident), Apple had it removed pretty quickly.

Not sure how big it would get this time.

18. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Well the pictures are on flickr the original place the apple pics were removed so I wont be suprised if apple contacts me early in the week and if that doesnt happen they are supposed to call me back later in the week to check up on me and the new power cable.

19. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

Just took a meander down to the gizmodo site and indeed you are on there as well as links to the previous MagSafe problems and controversy.

20. Atomsk

Atomsk What's a Dremel?

Well after looking around at several sites a large number of people think that this is not an issue and apple doesnt need to do a recal I wanted to start a poll in the thread but not exactly sure how :duh: if anyone could help me out that would be awesome or if people just want to post their oppinion thats cool too.

Tags: