1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Upgrade Now; Quad-Core is coming soon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

But how much do they cost??

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

(2*price Conroe)-(10 or 20%) I guess...

What would be more interesting: When will Conroe be free to pre-order in Germany? :eyebrow:
    Tried www.Alternate.de as it normally is one of the fastest to have new stuff and you can't even order them.

Back to topic --- Conroe is a kickass cpu as will Kentsfield be imo and if Intel keep their prices that 'low' I might consider going Kentsfield for Christmas. :)

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I hate you Bigz :D, you convince me of Core 2's pwnage with that awesome review, and now you tell me to wait ;(

Big question is though, how sure are you all that the mobo is going to stay the same? Buying a cheap Core 2 and some decent DDR2 with a nice mobo would make good sense if the only thing being upgraded in 6-12 months once 4Core is out and about in good numbers and value was the CPU itself. But if quad core is going to make expensive RAM or a decent mobo useless then waiting does indeed seem like the smart option.

K8L better be good now, because without it who's going to bother buying AM2 kit?

5. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

erm, thanks for the heads up Tim but 4 cores ? C'mon it does seem overkill but We'll just have to see what Vista says about it. Also I'd assume when kentsfield is out Core 2 Duo (dual core) will get a price drop ?

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Great article, which makes choosing a new PC even harder. I'm glad I didn't think twice when I bought my new rig, otherwise I would still be waiting a month or two on for the new Core chips.

Is it me, or does it seem that the evolution of PC technology is picking up?

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

hehehe, sorry :D

Tyrou at XS has a Kentsfield in a D975XBX rev 304 (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107092) ;)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Quite possibly yes

9. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Yeah...it seems like it to me too.

Whenever you see questions in computer forums about "should I buy now or wait for xxx new thing" people always respond "there's always something else around the corner, if you wait for it, something else'll be just around the corner in a few months again."

But with a less than 5 month (possibly only 3 or 4 months to get in before the holidays) wait between Dual-core Core 2 and Quad-core Core 2, waiting for the new technology (or the likely associated price drop on the Dual-core) becomes a bit easier to justify. Especially when you can't even buy Core-2 yet (release next week?) and availability might be sketchy for a while anyway.

If I was looking to upgrade my current pentium system, I might just upgrade it to a higher end Pentium in a week when the price drops through the floor...and wait for the Kentsfield for a "true" upgrade.

10. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

To upgrade to Core 2 or not to upgrade to Core 2.. That is the question. Even though i would welcome quad cores by the end of the year, what if there are delays and it gets pushed back and for those with a pc not so tuned up to handle vista and advanced 3D gaming of Q4 this could be a bitch... Spending their hard earned money now and there not being any delays and loosing out on quad goodness or waiting and waiting and waiting.... I think I might just upgrade to Quad Core and wait for a while, my current main rig is a fine specimen and should tide me over fine into Vista and on to Q2 2007 ish...

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

There is a pattern amerging here! It is the pattern of everything... They releace something, its awesome, and i'm all set to spend money on it.. and now i have to wait for the next new thing to come out! Whats the bet that 2 months later they will announce another new thing and we'll be told to wait for that as well... I think sometimes we just have to take the plunge, upgrade and miss out a few of these advancements... Unless your uber rich like some of the people on this forum seem/have to be!

I am slightly supprised at the timing here though.... its like they are trying to reduce sales of conroe...

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was incredibly surprised to see Otellini say what he did - it's almost like they want to trash Core 2 sales, hence why I felt there was a need for an OpEd. :)

13. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

What's left to announce? 8 core? It seems that they're just doubling up everything now, which is by no means a bad thing.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Thats what I said when I posted about this first!

15. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I don't think this is true.

Not buying AMD and waiting for Dual Core Conroe is NOT the same as

Not buying Dual Core Conroe and waiting for Quad Core.

Why not? It's missing the performance jump. Conroe is a big improvement over AMD in CPU terms. Quite the slam dunk. However the same can't be said for Quad core.

Is Quad core gonna give you twice the performance boost? Hardly. It's rare enough to hit 100% usage on both Cores already. Can you imagine how often users will see that on 4 cores?

It's hard enough to develop software for dual-core, let alone quad. Outside of a few specialized applications I just don't see their being much benefit.

This is like saying "Don't buy Core 2 Duo now, because there will be faster speeds of the dual-core chips come fall". But in the CPU biz, this is always true. It's nothing new.

So unless you are a _massive_ multitasker, in leagues of encoding video while playing games, the benefits of quad core are largely academic.

Conroe was a big jump, so it was worth waiting for. The benefits of Quad core will likely only be seen on paper.

Aggies

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I disagree. My main system is used primarily for gaming, but I'm shortly going to be building a PVR too. If I want, I'd be able to do the heavy duty encoding on a quad core core over the network, thus keeping the PVR low powered in every way, which has both silence and cost benefits. That's one core. Games are starting to be coded for two cores. True, it'll probably take time before 100% of two cores are used by games, but I have no doubt in the ability of programmers everywhere to abuse any CPU I have to the fullest. That's three cores. That leaves one core over for the usuals, scheduled virus scans, real time monitoring apps that lean heavily on the system, and all the other random things people do.

I agree that quad core wouldn't be for everyone, but as a main processor for all my PC's quad core sounds fantastic.

Lastly, if people don't build 4 core CPU's no-one will ever code for 4 core CPU's. These things have to be being used by people before the coders will bother, but you can be sure that they will and within a few years apps that need a lot of power will be able to utilise all that is available to them.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Imo it wasn't until the release of the AthlonXP when AMD eventually overtook Intel in the performance stakes. It's taken a long time for Intel to rediscover how to make good cpu's. The P4 was pure marketing, the Core chips seem to be Intel getting back to their roots. Maybe they re-hired the team that created the P3 to create the successor to the P4? :)

I'm still tempted to shift to Intel with a Core2 for the moment and shift to Core4 when the dust settles.

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I believe that the same Israel design team that created the Pentium M also extensively worked on Core2 ;)

19. Zekey

Zekey What's a Dremel?

Just going to point out, there have been no reports of a lowend kentsfield, has there? The only think I've seen is reports that kentsfield will be replacing the x6800.

20. Kinkade

Kinkade What's a Dremel?

I think Zekey is right i read somewhere that the first Kentsfields will be Extreme edition chips, so i very much doubt there will be a price drop in Core2 at that time.

Tags: Add Tags