1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NVIDIA to support SLI on 975X?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

pigs are flying!!!!! this is great news. :D

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

fascinating - could we be about to see motherboards which support both Crossfire and SLI??

4. modster

modster What's a Dremel?

i would be really happy if that happens, but i dont think that will be in the near future. Anyways, i am glad that SLI will work with intel processors.

5. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

In some ways I'm looking forward to the extra R&D that comes from closer partnerships. However I don't think it'll be worthwhile if we lose choice/flexibility in processor & gpu combinations; what if AM2 socket boards only support crossfire and future Intel Conroe boards only support SLI?

Last edited: 1 Aug 2006
  6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Awoken:

AM3?

edit: fixed :D

Last edited: 1 Aug 2006
  7. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Ooops...fixed

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Awoken that would be suicide ;) imagine that Nvidia goes the 3dfx way and there remains only ATI to suply graphics cards then what would happen to Intel?

9. mclean007

There would be no serious consequences - Intel would retain its position as market leader across the board because, even if Intel boards didn't support Crossfire, they'd still have standard PCI-E slots that would support ATi cards in single card config, much as SLI boards currently support single ATi cards and Crossfire boards currently support single NV cards, and only a tiny percentage of the potential marketplace are genuinely interested in multi-GPU - granted, these are the sort of people who will also buy Extreme Edition processors, so Intel might lose out a little there, but again that is a tiny percentage of the market.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

mclean007 now imagine that Intel cpu mobos come locked so they cant use single ATI cards....... now that would be mad.

11. mclean007

It would indeed. Why on earth would Intel do that? NVidia has never locked its boards to prevent the use of a single ATi card, nor has ATi done so with respect to NV cards.

There is no way this is going to happen.

Tags: Add Tags