bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Aug 2006, 15:21   #1
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
Performance Memory Survey 2006

Take 2 minutes, answer a few questions about your memory-buying habits and win some really cool prizes: Ballistix memory, Gizmo USB drives, CF and SD cards... what more could you want?

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2006/08...ey_2006/1.html
The_Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 15:52   #2
Gman22
Multimodder

Gman22 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The wrong link is posted in the article. It links to the February competition.

Gman22

Admin: Thanks - fixed now
Gman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:01   #3
vacheron
Minimodder

vacheron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The "explain why" boxes select themselves when you select them to type in your reasons.

This means that you can either have an explaination, OR an yes / no answer, but not both?
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:14   #4
will.
A motorbike of jealousy!

will. has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwill. has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
noticed that as well... i'm sure people can figure it out though...

Check out my Last.FM & iToggle & Nav-o-Matic jQuery plugins.
will. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:22   #5
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.The_Pope is definitely a rep cheat.
I think the idea is that there won't be any comments if the answer is Yes. So the "No" is implied if there's a comment
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:22   #6
MrWillyWonka
Chocolate computers galore!

MrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the DremelMrWillyWonka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacheron
The "explain why" boxes select themselves when you select them to type in your reasons.

This means that you can either have an explaination, OR an yes / no answer, but not both?
Unless the survey is changed, I suggust selecting the third option and stating your answer along with an explanation?

EDIT: I suppose he's ^ more correct than me
MrWillyWonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:31   #7
Buzzons
Mod Master

Buzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitBuzzons is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
[sic] your small print isnt very small [/sic]
Buzzons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:39   #8
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillyWonka
Unless the survey is changed, I suggust selecting the third option and stating your answer along with an explanation?

EDIT: I suppose he's ^ more correct than me
Actually, that's perfect. Say "No, because blah blah" - that would be ideal.
Old 4th Aug 2006, 16:51   #9
MadCow
What's a Dremel?

MadCow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hello,
The ram from first place, is it available in DDR2 667MHz SODIMM (iMac compatible)?
MadCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:03   #10
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sorry if I've missed it, but will our details be passed on anywhere with this one? Seems like a cool thing, but if it's gonna net me some email from people offering some sevice or whatever then I'll pass.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:12   #11
Joes2silly
Multimodder

Joes2silly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
im sorry for being stupid, but how exactly do I enter this contest
Joes2silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:13   #12
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Click the link in the first post of this thread, then click the "Click Here To Enter" picture. If you've got popups totaly disallowed it might not open.
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:20   #13
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
Sorry if I've missed it, but will our details be passed on anywhere with this one? Seems like a cool thing, but if it's gonna net me some email from people offering some sevice or whatever then I'll pass.
I'm attempting to find out. I would very much hope not as it was not mentioned at any point.
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:24   #14
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joes2silly
im sorry for being stupid, but how exactly do I enter this contest
If you have overly aggressive ad-blockers in place, they might be filtering the link (which is programmed to count how many people enter). Some might say that's "unlucky" - others might say that not being able to enter is punishment for blocking the ads that help pay to keep bit-tech what it is today: kick-ass and free for everyone.

Can I suggest adding www.bit-tech.net to your whitelist (for anyone who insists on blocking ads in general)
Old 4th Aug 2006, 17:30   #15
Highland3r
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Highland3r is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
You guys might wanna check the spelling in the article too
Highland3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 18:05   #16
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by specofdust
I have had it confirmed that the only email contact you will receive is to let you know if you have won, and possibly one email to everyone who did not win (just so they know). Nobody will be added to a mailing list. No spam will be sent. Just as it should be
Old 4th Aug 2006, 18:11   #17
specofdust
Banned

Nice one sah, filling in now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pope
If you have overly aggressive ad-blockers in place, they might be filtering the link (which is programmed to count how many people enter). Some might say that's "unlucky" - others might say that not being able to enter is punishment for blocking the ads that help pay to keep bit-tech what it is today: kick-ass and free for everyone.

Can I suggest adding www.bit-tech.net to your whitelist (for anyone who insists on blocking ads in general)
Pope dude, it's not just ad-blocking that does this. Many browsers and plugins have pop-up blockers that don't impact upon advertising at all. I'm on Opera and it'll block popups if it thinks I don't want 'em, wasn't an issue for me on that site, but sometimes I have to enable popups on a particular site. Doesn't mean the stuff is ad-blocking though
Old 4th Aug 2006, 18:24   #18
The_Pope
Geoff Richards

Speccy - yes, you're right but there's more depth to it that you don't know about. The bit you're talking about is any old link which target=_blank to open the link in a new window (rather than bulldoze over the content you're reading). This isn't a "pop-up" but sometimes browsers get it wrong and prevent it. bit-tech doesn't do any pop-up / pop-under advertising, so you can go ahead and allow it without any worries.

The bit I was talking about is the technique I have employed to count the number of clicks on that link. As a result, it might look like a "banner" to an ad-blocker, which might mean it gets stripped out and the reader will be left with no way to enter the prize draw. The solution, of course, is to not block banners on bit-tech.net, which is a good idea anyway.
Old 4th Aug 2006, 20:08   #19
TMM
Modder

TMM has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sifn't have a G.Skill option :P
Old 4th Aug 2006, 20:11   #20
specofdust
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
Sifn't have a G.Skill option :P
Indeed, I was quite confused about that. They had a name of a brand I've never heard off(and I've spent a fair ammount of time learning about RAM over the years) yet they totaly missed G.Skill, one of the most important manufactures of performance ram out there. I found it highly odd.