WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Marketing blunders of our time

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2006/08...ur_time/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2006, 17:38   #2
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A great article - thanks for writing it as I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Were there any blunders in the 90's though? As you seem to have covered the 00's only.
Old 17th Aug 2006, 18:44   #3
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
Steve Gibson has had it in for XP since he hyped the buzzword raw sockets, check out http://grcsucks.com/

The Article was a good read though =)
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2006, 19:46   #4
olly_lewis
Hypermodder

olly_lewis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah you couldn't of written this article without including NetBurst, how we hate thee....
But where, oh where is nVidias doomed FX series of graphics cards, surely they have to have a mention as a pitiful attempt and hype and marketing?

My signature dumped me...
Old 17th Aug 2006, 22:19   #5
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice article. I had me thinking of other computer companies claims that I got caught by:

1) MSI's first TV @nywhere which promised MPEG4 encoding - in a future driver - which was never created (the master & plus versions might have had it but not the version I had - with the "feature" printed on the box) On top of that MSI used standard decoder chips but in a propeity way so third party software seldom worked with it.

2) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!: "The Sound Blaster Live! MP3+ is Live!Ware-upgradable so you don't need to replace your soundcard to keep up with the latest standards. Just download software to your reprogrammable EMU10K1 processor to get the latest features and functions, including codecs, LAVA! scenes, and new Environmental Audio effects." (taken from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282)
The only software upgrade I ever saw was "buy an Audigy..." There was another card (can't think of the name) that a friend had that did offer a nice firmware upgrade to 7.1 sound but not C.L.. I haven't bought from C.L. since
Old 17th Aug 2006, 22:27   #6
Da Dego
Brett Thomas

Da Dego has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol that Live! thing...haha...I bought into that too, Tyinsar, don't feel bad And come to think of it, the best support I could find after about a year and a half was "Buy our new audigy model."

Since that point, it's been onboard all the way for me heresy, I know, but the chips are getting a lot better!
Old 18th Aug 2006, 00:13   #7
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
Since that point, it's been onboard all the way for me heresy, I know, but the chips are getting a lot better!
On board - ugh - disgusting

although i agree with you, creative are such a bad company, along with those "upgrade" claims i think they probably have the worst software testing (apart from valve and some other game manufacturers) ever

but hey, i like digital myself, a lot of HI-FI fanatics would burn me at the steak for this, but my world is digital however there will always be an analogue aspect in your sound somehow

In fact the only reason i use my audigy is because i can have optical spid/f in & out meaning i can daisy chain my PS2 in, while having my 5.1 amp pumping out the 5x 100W (at over 110 decibels, 40/50 on the amp, 80% volume, after that it starts to distort)

Anyway, enough about sound, onto bashing net burst

Ahh net burst, RDRam as well as net burst, they really screwed up there didn't they <_<

Quote:
Now we have Core 2 Duo, and Pentium 4 is consigned to history. Will Intel hit 10GHz in the next 5 years? Who knows. With the Core microarchitecture, it surely has a better chance.
That's a hard one to guess, i mean, were starting 2GHZ lower then the P4, but already people can overclock these things to 5ghz, so if we will eventually end up at the point where we can overclock to 10ghz - that will be interesting

Quote:
'World's Fastest Personal Computer'.
Funny that they are allowed to claim this, yet the ASA will allow Morrison's to say "the best greengrocer in town" (my dad complained about this) because
a) its in store promotion, that the ASA have no authority over (wtf ....)
b) even if it wasn't in store promotion, it is understood this is the manufacturers point of view (or something like that) so they STILL wouldn't have a problem

What a world

Quote:
Microsoft heralded the new version of its operating system as the most secure ever
Well if we consider this, Win 95/98/2000 have already had god knows how many updates, so now we consider, XP is going to start out with lots of these optimisations, in theory its the most secure OS ever, and MS could make this claim forever (assuming their programmers aren't complete dipsticks)
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2006, 07:30   #8
Tyinsar

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Dego
lol that Live! thing...haha...I bought into that too, Tyinsar, don't feel bad And come to think of it, the best support I could find after about a year and a half was "Buy our new audigy model."

Glad I wasn't the only one. Both of my computers have Nvidia's Soundstorm and I'm quite happy with the sound (time for a system upgrade though)

BTW: the real upgradeable sound card was from Hercules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlow
Were there any blunders in the 90's though? As you seem to have covered the 00's only.
Perhaps some of us are a little older than the author thus "our time" goes back a little farther for us?

I remember ATI's early claims of "great 3D performance" when they sucked (well before the Radeon cards)

I wonder how long before the physics chip & Quad-SLI are on this list (though they might eventually make quad SLI work - but then, I think SLI is just a marketing gimmick anyway).
Old 18th Aug 2006, 14:23   #9
DeX
Mube Codder

DeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Isn't it a bit worrying that it's impossible to define something as secure? We can only something is insecure. Maybe MS should just say that their OSes are 'practically secure' until we find out that, of course, they are not...
DeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2006, 18:01   #10
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooadam
On board - ugh - disgusting

Anyway, enough about sound, onto bashing net burst
Agreed.

But what needs to be said about netburst has already been. Most people still believe that ghz speed is the only important factor in buying a computer, even some otherwise technicaly literate people still believe that netburst was a good idea. But we dont want to bash the circuit city repair desk staff here, do we.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Aug 2006, 18:57   #11
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek
But what needs to be said about netburst has already been. Most people still believe that ghz speed is the only important factor in buying a computer, even some otherwise technicaly literate people still believe that netburst was a good idea. But we dont want to bash the circuit city repair desk staff here, do we.
its the most simple measure, most people don't understand this stuff

Netburst is a perfect example of what happens when the accountants govern your product
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2006, 07:40   #12
Tyinsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek
...But we dont want to bash the circuit city repair desk staff here, do we.
but it's fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooadam
its the most simple measure, most people don't understand this stuff

Netburst is a perfect example of what happens when the accountants govern your product
I agree but I wonder why on Earth Intel switched to this silly code system they use for P4s? I prefer AMD's rating system, even though it's not perfect (or even close to it). But that system might need an update with the Core 2 Duos out (yes, I know AMD claims they are not comparing their chips to Intel's but...). I'm interested to see how AMD marks their chips now.
Old 21st Aug 2006, 16:17   #13
dognosh
Multimodder

dognosh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i still use my soundblaster live
Sony VAIO VGN-AR11S
dognosh is offline   Reply With Quote