1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sharp 7" TFT

Discussion in 'Modding' started by _DTM2000_, 17 Aug 2006.

1. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I recently acquired a Joytech 6" XBOX screen (as can be seen HERE although it's actually 7" when you measure it) in the hope of modding it into a smaller box that I could mount on my desk and connect to my PC. Unfortunately, upon opening the case I found that there was a huge 12" long circuit board connected to the LCD module which controlled the lcd brightness and sound volume etc. As well as that, there is another smaller board, which takes the video, sound, and power inputs and sends them to the big board.

All of these extra circuit boards are ruining my plans for a compact secondary display. Upon closer inspection of the lcd module itself, there appears to be some sort of controller board attached to the back which I'm hoping I will be able to directly connect the power and video inputs to. After searching on google I managed to find a very corrupted datasheet which gave the pinouts for the controller board but I don't understand what most of them mean.

Here are the pinouts:

1 HSY 7 VSW 13 VR1 19 VB2
    2 VSY 8 CLKC 14 VG1 20 GND1
    3 CLK 9 VCDC 15 VB1 21 VBL
    4 NTP 10 VIN 16 GND1 22 VBL
    5 HRV 11 VBS 17 VR2 23 GND2
    6 VRV 12 BRT 18 VG2 24 GND2

Does anybody know what these correspond too? If it helps, the lcd module is a Sharp LQ070T3AG02 and "controller" board is a DUNTK3018TPZZ. My preferred method of connecting this to my PC is VGA but I would settle for s-video or composite.

Thanks.

2. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

This uses the same screen...

HERE
    That was a quick search with 127 matches using 'Sharp LQ070T3AG02'

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

But it doesn't answer my question!

4. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

I didn't say it would... I was just showing you that, that particuliar screen is used a many applications.

Try afew different search terms based on the search results you find for the lcd module part number or even the controller board part number.

EDIT~

Nothing better to do so decided to do some searching myself... :rolleyes:

Searching on the controller board part number brought this up Xenarc 7TSV (Xenarc 700TSV 7" VGA RCA LCD TFT Touch Screen Monitor) - HERE

Yet another tv screen (lilliput using a standard 15 pin vga connection) using the sharp lcd module...

So it's possible you might beable to use vga?

Still searching! :thumb:

DATASHEET - HERE

Last edited: 18 Aug 2006
  5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Tried to work out as much as possible (manufacturers tend to use the same labelling for their screens) I've added the VGA connections (VGA1 = VGA PIN 1) whereever possible. It appears to be NTSC compatible aswell as PAL.

Code:
    1 HSY -- HORIZONTAL SYNC (VGA13)
    2 VSY -- VERTICAL SYNC (VGA14)
    3 CLK -- DDC CLOCK (VGA15)
    4 NTP -- CHANGE mode Pal/NTSC
    5 HRV -- HORIZONTAL SCAN DIRECTION
    6 VRV -- VERT SCAN DIRECTION
    7 VSW -- SELECTION FROM TWO INPUTS
    8 CLKC	-- CHANGE the IO direction of CLK, HSY, VSY
    9 VCDC -- DC BIAS voltage adjust
    10 VIN -- POSITIVE VOLTAGE
    11 VBS -- COMPOSTE Signal Seperator
    12 BRT -- BRIGHT ADJUST 
    13 VR1 -- RED (VGA1)
    14 VG1 -- GREEN (VGA2)
    15 VB1 -- BLUE (VGA3)
    16 GND1 -- GND (VGA5-8/10)
    17 VR2 --RED 2
    18 VG2 -- GREEN 2
    19 VB2   -- BLUE 2
    20 GND1
    21 VBL
    22 VBL
    23 GND2
    24 GND2

6. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Thanks Mr_SCSI, thats the datasheet I downloaded before. I thought it was corrupted but it turned out I needed japanese fonts installing in acrobat. Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh before, I'd had a bad day. :)

Thanks DougEdey, that should help me a lot. :thumb: I'll compare your list to the datasheet and hopefully this should start to make some more sense. If I can just directly connect the vga pins up to the connections you labled VGA then that part makes sense. Then I just need to work out what (if anything appart from the power input) needs connecting to the other connections.

Thanks.

7. DougEdey

Let me know how it runs, was looking to get one of these.

8. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Will do, I'll try and get some photos as well. At the moment I'm unsure whether I need to connect the following pins to anything: 4-9, 11, 12 and 17-24. Also, should I just wire all the GND terminals together and does VGA5-8/10 mean in connects to VGA pins 5 to 8 plus 10? Oh, and for the 12V input should I wire the positive to terminal 10 and the negative to GND? Sorry about all the questions, I've never worked with lcd's before and I don't want to blow anything up. Especially not my GFX card. :D

9. DougEdey

As long as each ground is connected to a ground pin you'll be fine.

Only the required pins I have said need to be connected to the VGA connector.

A scart plug has 3 more for feedback, but I couldn't spot any equivalents on this.

Just do your soldering neat and tidy and when its all connected the rest of the process should be fairly similar to the PSONE lcd guide.

10. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Ok, thanks. I'll read through everything a couple more times and take a look at the PSONE lcd guide and then get soldering.

11. Mr_SCSI

Mr_SCSI What's a Dremel?

Glad to help mate... No need to apologies, I'm useless at explaining what I mean in words at the best of times. :worried:

Me too! :thumb:

will keep an eye on this thread. :)

12. Workshed

Workshed What's a Dremel?

I've just got one of these too, planning to run mine off the TV out on my graphics card so if you find any good settings for power strop let me know ;)

13. Workshed

Workshed What's a Dremel?

Also can anyone say for sure what the resolution should be as surely 1440(H) x 234(V) isnt a 16:9 resolution?

14. DougEdey

If anything it'll be around the 675x320 mark.

15. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Any news on this?

16. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

IIRC from mp3car a guy on there named armen (if his web site is ok to post i will post it, i dont want people to think this is an ad) sold this same screen (i have one) it has a similar setup internally. I know it has the same lcd screen. anyway to convert it over to vga a different controller was needed. for a while he sold them but i can not find them on his site any more. anyway if it is cool let me know and i'll post up his site.

17. spinal

spinal What's a Dremel?

Has anyone got one of these to work? I have one, but don't like that idea of messing with it when I dont know what i'm doing.

18. DougEdey

Quick bump to see if there's any progress?

19. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

I bought one of these off Play for £20. Still haven't got it, but will be watching this to see what comes up.

Oh, and I have no electronics knowledge at all, this should be interesting. :D

20. Big_Adam

Big_Adam What's a Dremel?