1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Explorer 7 v FireFox 2.0

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 22 Aug 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. sunnyg

sunnyg What's a Dremel?

where can i get IE7 from?

3. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

That'll hush those fanboys for a while :D

4. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

5. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

it will arrive in an automatic update.

I think its a little sad that the firefox team didn't have some super ie killer feature up their sleeves, but i suppose, seeing as ie pretty much theived all the ideas of various different open source browsers that would be a challenege.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Maybe I'm wrong (I've been without FF for almost a month) but doesn't double clicking on a blank space to the right of a tab title open a new one. But I think most FF users use keyboard shortcuts todo most of their work.

Any chance on a comparisson that way? My mouse barely moves.

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Duog: Yeah, that works.

Why would you want a new tab anyway? The only time you ever need a fresh tasty blank tab is to enter a URL manually, so you're already on the keys to hit ctrl+t, right... :worried:

The rest of the time it's middle clicking.

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

yeah it does...I think microsoft have done quite a good job at bridging the gap between a browser for n00bs with a supposedly good interface so that everyone can use it (IE six and down) and the now IE 7 product, which someone who actually understands how computers work (at least to an extent) could actually contemplate using....

completly agree that most FF users would use ctrl + t to open a new tab, but yeah, double clicking on the space next to a tab also works!!!

....weird that you could not get the spell checker to work, as I got it workin first time... :duh:

9. quack

quack Minimodder

Don't you mean the default behaviour when you try to download anything? :p But enough of me being picky.

As a big fan of Firefox, and a web designer, I am actually excited about IE7. Trident has really improved so much since IE6. It's still not perfect but it's definitely a lot more standards compliant. The sooner people are upgraded the better in my opinion. It'll be so nice not to have to attempt to work around IE6's many flaws and never resort to hacks to get it to play nice.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2006
  10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I had a crash a couple of months back (need to do a reinstall, but it's just finding time to do it) and since then I've had major problems with firefox saving downloaded demos, wallpapers, well saving anything really.
    IE 7 has no problem saving, but I still seem to prefer FF for some reason.

So now if I want to download a demo and I'm in firefox I need to 'open in external application' from the firefox tab in order to switch the site to the IE browser in order to download. Very annoying. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling FF but still no luck :(.

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Where Opera seems to screw up the glass interface on at least my copy of Vista, I'm currently using IE7 as my main browser and have got to admit it's fine- everything works as it should and it's more concious about security than the other two browsers.

<A88>

12. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

might give IE7 a go though.

- H.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

That's my fault not saving changes on a page :blush:

14. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Good article, with only one issue from me:

I think many prefer Firefox's way of handling tabs - as if you only browse one site at a time, your interface isn't clogged up by an extra, empty bar. As soon as you open a second tab, the bar appears.

15. phaSe

phaSe What's a Dremel?

woah! thanks for that one! :D

RoB (firefox moron it would seem...)

16. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

tough one for firefox.

17. quack

quack Minimodder

That sucks when that happens, I've been known to do that many times myself. Kudos on the quick corrections though. :thumb:

Now folks, back on topic!

I prefer to keep my tab bar visible at all times, and I've got a new tab button to the left of it. Just find it easier that way myself.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

QFT, I much prefer not having the tabs bar open when I only have 1 tab open, also firefox just need to change the default interface, there is an open new tab button but it's not there by default. With a quick customisation of the interface you can add a open tab button, although n00bs probably won't be able to do this.

19. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Tabs by default?
    Tabs? TABS? I bloody hate those things. I must be one of the only FF users that actually doesn't use and doesn't like tabs.

I did try IE7 and quickly came back to FF, I just couldn't stand the lack of menu bar at the top in all honesty.

20. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Well there you go then... Internet Explorer is more secure (but not for too long :(), faster, and a whole lot more convenient for browsing the interweb, than Firefox. What about standards compliance?

Tags: Add Tags