bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Sep 2006, 13:57   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
NVIDIA launches GeForce 7900 GS & 7950 GT

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/09...00_gs_7950_gt/
Old 6th Sep 2006, 14:09   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does this mean you're unhappy again Tim? And was the review lead time the same for everyone or just our BiT?

(PS: that 7900GS XFX ad is pretty boring)

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2006, 14:26   #3
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't know what the situation was with the other journalists in terms of hardware, but I do know that there were many other journalists who didn't learn about these products until last Thursday.

Initially we were going to look at one card, but because there are so many graphics cards being launched at the moment I felt that it would be good to look at a couple at differing clocks as we aren't going to revisit the topic again. We had only got one card on Friday morning and with one card (and some suitable comparisons) it would take four days to get it done. I've not had a weekend off in about three months and I'm unwell (because I've done nothing but work 7 day weeks for the past three months), so I also need some time off. It shouldn't be a requirement to work over a weekend to get the bare minimum done in order to meet a deadline. NVIDIA isn't the only site that want us to review its products either, so I work with what I know I can get done. Four working days with all hardware in-hand would be nice...

It's a bit different for many sites, as they work from home and can work on and off over a weekend. Obviously, all of my test kit is at the bit-tech offices so it's a day out if I choose to work. Of course, that's our choice, but a new graphics launch shouldn't be so rushed, IMO.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 14:33   #4
Dr Dark
Minimodder

Dr Dark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that Nvidia is becoming the "Motorola of the graphics world" - They seem to release a new card every 5 minutes...

However, it means that my tasty 7900GTX(Golden Sample) a bit cheaper!

If it works... mod it.... if it stops working - mod it with a hammer till it works... and repeat......
Dr Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2006, 15:54   #5
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It would be interesting to see some more behind-the-scenes stuff, as it sounds like you guys work flat out to bring us these reviews, whereas we simply have to click a few buttons and read a page or two...

And it does seem that Nvidia are going over-the-top with the amount of cards on release. It makes it almost impossible for most to choose.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 16:21   #6
Marquee
Mac Pro Modder

Marquee has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
WOW That 7900GS is a great price. I am thinking since it's built on the same core it can overclock well. There only making these cards to get rit of old cores and GDDR3 memory. I have a feeling that Nvidia is gearing up for a new flagship card with GDDR4.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 16:33   #7
yahooadam
Ultra csavarkulcs
Banned

yahooadam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
I don't know what the situation was with the other journalists in terms of hardware, but I do know that there were many other journalists who didn't learn about these products until last Thursday.

Initially we were going to look at one card, but because there are so many graphics cards being launched at the moment I felt that it would be good to look at a couple at differing clocks as we aren't going to revisit the topic again. We had only got one card on Friday morning and with one card (and some suitable comparisons) it would take four days to get it done. I've not had a weekend off in about three months and I'm unwell (because I've done nothing but work 7 day weeks for the past three months), so I also need some time off. It shouldn't be a requirement to work over a weekend to get the bare minimum done in order to meet a deadline. NVIDIA isn't the only site that want us to review its products either, so I work with what I know I can get done. Four working days with all hardware in-hand would be nice...

It's a bit different for many sites, as they work from home and can work on and off over a weekend. Obviously, all of my test kit is at the bit-tech offices so it's a day out if I choose to work. Of course, that's our choice, but a new graphics launch shouldn't be so rushed, IMO.
QFT

go get liquored up Tim - you deserve it , I look forward to the review when its done

Also whats the deal with all the new gfx cards recently, has everyone in the world but me run into a small fortune or something ?
yahooadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2006, 17:03   #8
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooadam

go get liquored up Tim - you deserve it , I look forward to the review when its done
Hear hear

A friend of mine wants a cheap SLI computer ans a pair of those 7900 GS might be just the ticket for her. For me, I'm still lusting after a pair of 7950 GX2s and I ythink my 7800GT OCs will just have to soldier on until then. That's the one nice thing about all the new product is it should tend to push prices down on the stuff I actually want.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 17:10   #9
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
I just bought a new card Friday
Quote:
...Initially we were going to look at one card, but because there are so many graphics cards being launched at the moment I felt that it would be good to look at a couple at differing clocks as we aren't going to revisit the topic again....
but a new graphics launch shouldn't be so rushed, IMO.
Any graphics purchase shouldn't be that rushed either. It's better to do it right than to do it fast. I look forward to the results, whenever they get here.

Quote:
I've not had a weekend off in about three months and I'm unwell (because I've done nothing but work 7 day weeks for the past three months), so I also need some time off. It shouldn't be a requirement to work over a weekend to get the bare minimum done in order to meet a deadline....
At any other job you'd be due for time off &/ serious over-time pay. If you're like most of us here you're into this because you enjoy it - Don't kill the joy (or your health) by making it an odious chore.
Old 7th Sep 2006, 08:35   #10
Nature
Supermodder

Nature has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AGP?