1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sandisk seizures overturned

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. FredsFriend

FredsFriend What's a Dremel?

Wow if you are going to jump in with both feet at least make sure that you aren't going to hit bottom. I wonder how many people will lose jobs over this

3. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Who honestly did not see this coming?

I sure as hell saw this coming.

4. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

I sure as hell didn't see this coming.

Can anyone tell why the courts changed their minds? Surely it would take longer than that to prove that SanDisk are in fact using their own technology to decode mp3s instead of the technology that has been patented.

5. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

To quote specofdust from the first news thread on this subject...

Yeah, can you say, the headlights of an 18 wheeler?

6. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

But if that were the reason it was thrown out, how would it get passed the first stages of the court order? Surely someone didn't just forget that mathematical patents don't apply in the EU. How would the Italian company even get their patent application accepted if that type of patent didn't exist? Why would none of the news sites mention it? Maybe I have the wrong end of the stick here.

7. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

Surely they would have to sue the government or something, because it wasn't sisivel that actually caused the damage to their stalls

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I posted a link to the BBC in the other thread about this before this was posted... :blush:

It's nice to see Sandisk win, though. Although suing people? The police would never have gotten involved if Sisvel hadn't got a rod up their rear... so Sisvel are the ones to blame.

9. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

Um, Sandisk haven't won the case yet. They've only had a siezure order overturned, which is a partial success, but nowhere close to winning the whole battle. Still, I'll be interested to see how this turns out. Patents on things like MP3 and JPEG seriously bug me. It's no wonder you double the price of a computer when you put software on it - every man and his donkey are claiming a few cents here and there for some or other dubious "invention". B****rds! Whatever happened to doing things for the greater good?

Tags: Add Tags