1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E6400 on air @ ~3.85GHz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim S, 11 Sep 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I thought I'd share this one with you - not quite finished tweaking, but it's nearly maxed out. Maybe I can get a better contact with the core.

[​IMG]

All of this on stock volts on the Asus P5B Deluxe with a Noctua NH-U12 CPU cooler and a Coolink 120mm fan. Memory running at 3-4-3-4 1:1.

Has anyone got any decent tweaks to ooze a little bit more out of it? I think I'm just about at max CPU speed - voltage didn't seem to improve things much. I tried the 7x multiplier, but the board ran out of steam at about 505MHz FSB.

FWIW, the chip is prime stable at ~3.6GHz.

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

3. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

dam straight. :rock:

what ram?

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

The Corsair Dominator stuff - may as well make use of it while it's still here. (going back soon) :)

I've managed to get a run at 3802MHz, but it's getting seriously unstable - any higher and the system reboots halfway through PI. :D

EDIT: here's a few more pics >

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

You tryed different HSF's?

Like huge big typhoons or the amazing Ninja?

Also congrats on a mental OC!

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've not got a Ninja, but this is supposed to be as good as it gets with low noise fans; of course I would need a Ninja to compare to this behemoth. Maybe I should speak to Scythe. :)

7. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Damn. That's a pretty freaking good OC. I see that you have the 5/B1 6400. Mine is reading as 6/B2, I wonder if I can touch those speeds. As you saw in my last topic I've got it going at 3.2 GHZ but you had to come in and show me up. Maybe you can try that on the AB9 Pro eh? :blush: I ran Prime95 for 15 hours, 11 minutes with 0 errors, 0 warnings so I can try to pump some more into this. My RAM is just the normal Corsair DDR2 800 so I doubt I can scratch at those Dominators.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

The newer chips should clock higher than the 5/B1 ES chips. At least, that's what I've heard. Good memory and a board capable of some silly FSB is required with these slower chips though.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Removed the IHS yet? If not, get a razor and give it a shot :D

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The 6/B2 chips are clocking rather nicely. Fair few people are hitting the big 4g'z with them on above ambient cooling.
    You still on stock volts with that CPU tim? Also, your Pi time seems quite slow - running on a bogged down OS I assume?

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

Andi - still on stock volts... the OS is pretty fresh, but not streamlined or optimised in any way. :)

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Get in touch with Thermalright and get an Ultra-120 on that thing, it's supposed to be better than the ninja even at low fan speeds.

As for removing the IHS, the only person I've seen attempt that managed to rip the cores off 3 processors, even using a heat gun to try melting the TIM that keeps the HS on.

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm a bit skeptical about removing the IHS, as I've got to use the CPU for other testing. However, lapping might be a worthy endevour. :D

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Very nice in that case, very nice chip indeed :D You NEED to bung her under phase ;)

Strange, you should be into the low 14's / high 13's with that sort of speed.

clicky

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've seen plenty of de-IHS'd processors on XS since they started sticking IHS's on them. Perhaps practise on a cheap crappy one then go for the decent 6400?

Also, would a cooler with the fan on the top be maybe preferable, since the current CPU cooler looks like it's going to be fairly rubbished by those wee RAM fans. Big Typhoons worth a try, imo.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't think it's too slow tbh, as I've only got 2MB of L2 cache on the E6400. I had an X6800 at 3888MHz getting just over 13s - clicky. I did notice at stock speeds that the cache makes some difference in Pi.

Maybe I should drop the X6800 under this cooler and see what it can do - I've only had it under a Zalman CNPS9500 thus far. :naughty:

17. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Didnt think the difference was as marked as that, especially in pi 1m.

18. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

When you're done testing that I'll PM you my address and I'll gladly take it of your hands. :naughty:

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

eheheh, shame that it's technically property of Intel. ;)

20. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

possesion is 9/10s of the law...hehe