1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 repairs free for early buyers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 22 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No doubt, Sony fanboys will start laughing and post all kinds of comments about how Microsoft can't make consoles... :sigh:

All I can say is good on Microsoft, both in recognising the problem and doing something about it.

3. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Will this go on for ever? so in 2-3 years will I still be able to send my xbox in free of charge?

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Surely all the consoles were covered by warranty anyway?

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I had a problem with my 360, went back to the shop i bought it from (Game) and they swapped the Main unit over, no questions, kept my HDD thus all my saves :D and i play happily, so its a good idea, well done Microsoft.

Sam

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I wonder if my old boss knows about this... our 360 ate at least five games. I wonder if it covers that as well as the repairs to the console itself...

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

never thought that MS was this cool :p

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

After the recall microsoft had to do on the power cords for the original xbox ocnsoles its nice to see them take up active role in ensuring we all have a good gaming experience. The fact this is happening so long after the first xbox 360's were produced means microsoft was probably not aware of an issue in the entire production batch. Good call microsoft.

9. orb

orb satisfying.

And how many still have there consoles from launch if they broke?

10. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

My 360 broke about 4 months ago and i just held on to it since then. But now, I'm going to send it in for repair so i can put my high-def plasma TV back in good use.

11. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

The initial 'recall' on the power cords wasn't because the power cables were faulty. The reason for the 'recall' was that the power supplies used in the early xbox's had no bracing mechanism on the socket, and the soldering lines came loose after a period of time. These lines could short out and cause the xbox to catch on fire. This is why the new power cables Microsoft sent out have a built in circuit breaker. Only the early xbox's had this problem.

I got my 360 mid December (second shipment Best Buy got) and haven't had a single problem with it yet... Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself... :duh:

12. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

No, its a 1(one) year extention. The original was 3 months, this gives you 15 months since manufacture date/purchase date. Good call MS, guess that online petition I signed actually worked!

-CollinstheClown

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

This is why you dont buy something as soon as it comes out. Its always the same with all new tech.

Rich kids are the guinea pigs who buy stuff as soon as it comes out and find the faults and then the manufactures can fi it and have a reliable product there on.

I aint bought a 360 yet as im sure there are a few more faults to be sorted out. My xbox was one of the ones with the faukty power cords. THe DVD drive has died now as files refuse to play or jump and games are real slow at loading now.

14. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Fair play to them, this does give them some brownie points in my view.

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Maybe, just maybe, their new corporate guiding principals or whatever it was called wasn't just marketing hype?? We can hope

16. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

why do i suddenly feel like getting an xbox360? its against all my better judgement...i mean i dont like the idea of paying to play online either.....sod it...nintendo wii all the way!

Sorry just a random thought i figured i should share O_O

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wait a minute?? Despite something is in "warrenty" you still have to PAY to get it fixed in order to do something you paid for in the first place??

WTFs with that?

18. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Someone mentioned above that the original warranty is only 3 months. That is shocking. Most electrical items have usually 12 months warranty.

Considering the price of a 360, 3 months warranty is really low compared to the 12 months I just got on my £17.99 kettle.

If it is 3 months this is one product I would suggest purchasing the extended warranty just to give yourself reasonable coverage (that or ensure you have 'accidental' on your home insurance).

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im sure you could take the issue to trading standards and win easily. In the UK it's 12 months, in some EU countries it's 2-3 years for electrical goods iirc.

20. wolff000

wolff000 I am here to steal your secrets.

I got my 360 they day they were released in the states. I have had no issues other than discs have to be sqeaky clean otherwise its a 50/50 shot at working but to me that's not a big deal at all. I also purchased an extened warranty sine I got a "first run" I was sure there would be issues and I covered myself. Bravo to MS for taking care of this the right way the first time around.

Tags: Add Tags