1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 2142 demo preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Oct 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

What I find weird is that I was perfectly able to run the beta but I can't run the demo! It crashes loading and if I alt-tab back to windows there is something about "sanitized memory" :(

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

your memory is dirty, I recommend you open up your pc and scrub it with soap and water.

4. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

This pales in comparison to Joint Operations, been playing that for years and it hasn't got boring yet.

5. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Ditto :blah:

6. Speak Easy

Speak Easy What's a Dremel?

The game doesn't take place in space. :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

The map in the Demo is based in Egypt.

7. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Indeed there's nothing to do with space in the game. I've been playing the demo for about three hours over the past few days and am really enjoying it, seems way more fun than BF2, but a bit chaotic. Maybe when people have to pay for the game they'll start playing with tactics but at the moment it's just a free for all.

8. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

This article is spot on.

BF2142 is an "OK" game. It gives me the feeling of a "generic space shooter". On the titan in particular, I am reminded of the Star Wars: Battlefront games. Those one's were good, not because of the gameplay (the battlefield series creams them), but because of the SW setting. So while that was there to save those games, 2142 doesn't have that luxury.

One of the things I loved about BF2, and also that made it a leap up from 1942, was that absolute variety of cool things to do. Being a medic and reviving teamates, being a support class and keeping everyone full of ammo. Going spec ops and blowing up the commanders tools, or vehicles. Getting in an armour convey and tooling around the map, flying a helicopter, flying a plane, being a gunner using laser guided weapons on a bomber. These are all awesome experiences that I love, can't wait to do more, and have trouble deciding "what will I do now", because I want to do it all. :D

2142, the demo at least, largely doesn't give me that feeling. There was nothing I did that screamed "Thats awesome, I want to do that again!". The mechs would seem to be that new thing, but watching them get hitched on every surface/edge and taking 5-10secs to "slide" free (where you are immobile) got really frustrating right quick.

With QW:ET, Crysis, TF2 and UT:2K7 looming, the bar is getting raised in the online multiplayer shooter market. And from the demo, it looks like that bar is out of 2142's reach. :/

Aggies

9. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Bit Tech and Aggies, I salute you! I am in absolute agreement.

I love playing BF2 for exactly the same reasons you say and whilst lots of others on the net seem to be screamin that this game is "teh shizzle", the demo of 2142 left me feeling hugely dissapointed.

I genuinely don't think I'll buy it now and just stick with my good ol' BF2.

Until Crysis and UT2007 of course :D

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

demo crashes as soon as i try and start it :rolleyes:

/me continues waiting for Quake Wars

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

it is not realy an new game just bf2 mod with some new shaders and new lighting still has the same server crash (Like 1.2 does tho so it restarts strate away not 3 mins{1.3patch})

And Alt tabbing is not supported in demo (and it be silly if it is not working in retail)

2142 is an tad chaotic but if you do it right you win (you get used to it after playing it for 4-5 hrs) i think its quite fun my self some times just stiing back and watching battles go on is fun to watch

must admit Quake wars will probly be better and bug free i mite be able to use shaders as well (did dice forget to make shaders use the GPU or somthing{only realy an problem on BF2:SF vannial bf2 is fine})
    ID software seem to get it right first time Dice seem to **** it up more every patch then fix it 2 months later 1.3 to 1.4 patch for e.g

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Aggreed! :D

As for bf2142, i think its crap the EA is putting out another battlefield game when BF2 still sucks. EA needs to learn that expansions/sequels don’t come until the original game is fixed. The last good battlefield game was Vietnam.

13. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

I'd have to disagree with you there, because I've been able to alt tab out of the demo since I installed it.

My intial thoughts were that the game reminded me a bit more of planetside (still a guilty pleasure from time to time, scoff if you will) mainly because of the drop pods. I love it when the titans are close and I have an organized squad, (rare as it is) and launching from the titan's drop pods as a group and boarding the opposing titan.

Yes it feels very plain and somewhat mundane without the unlocks. Personally, I think its a load of crap that I have to go through a minimum of 3 ranks before I get the better sniper rifle (a favor class of mine). There is an inaccuracy in the article, at least from what I understand of the unlock system. you can choose from each side of a tech tree for each class, on each level, regardless of the choice before it. I dunno, I could be mistaken in all this.

My only true beef with this game as it stands is the way the sniper rifle sounds and feels. When I'm running around in BF2 with my M95, and I take a shot at someone, it sounds and feels like the hammer of god coming down to smite the guy I'm shooting. Even the M24 feels like that to a certain extent. But the rifles in bf2142 (and yes I know its only the demo) but they feel like over glorified pistols.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

hmmm.... what kind of anti armor unit does this game have?
    is the mech good?

15. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I really really want that game:p I'm allready downloading it:p

16. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Just Cause got a one-page review and the demo for this piece of junk got two pages? :(

Sorry, I'm just grouchy whenever BF is mentioned. :p

17. leexgx

the Alt tabing is 50/50 some times it works some times it does not i did it one night and it did not give me an crash

when you anti tank/Eng you get an not so strong anti tank gun but if you the unlock for the anti tank gun thats when the fun starts (this be my second unlock (or be it 8th as it has to be done in order))

18. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

alt-tabing workings fine for me but then again my computer is a monster rig :D

Hmm i really hope theres more depth in the classes in the retail. I know we only have a handful of the weapons in this but id like the playability for each class to be different.

The main class i play with is currently the engineer, he has an automatic gun that gets off loads of rounds, can take down tanks with the rocket launcher and repair.
    I think hes abit imbalanced and abit strong perhaps?

Assault is 2in1 now...medic aswell hey? hmmm ...well this could be a good move perhaps since assaults in bf2 were very very weak. The healing side of the class now should help keep them alive a little longer atleast.
    Support is decent i think, works very well in titan mode and providing suppressing fire when your holding the control decks or the main core itself.
    Snipers i cant really comment on.

Its a decent game, il definately be buying it as it can only get better with all the unlocks and weapons for the classes. It would be nice to play on the other maps too, the current sidi power plant one is getting toooo boring.

19. leexgx

engineer on 2142 is an tad weak untill you get its anti tank unlock it does inpressive dmg (it get tanks moveing if there camping) APC's just blow up if hit in the back (tanks 2 hits on back)

and just to add the fun you get mines that will go after tanks and EMP land mines (AFK the ANTI air unlock was rubbish in beta but in demo most things have been fixed)

mine is fast as well (more so on the GPU department 7950 GX2)

thinking of getting an conroe later on or as soon as some one buys my bits off me (AM2 AMD64 X2 3800+ 2ghz @ 2.6ghz) but bf2 seems quite happy apart from shaders agane

for most of us alt tabing can some times not be able to bring the game back up just get an black screen then have to Log off so windows Ends it

i be getting the game as well

Last edited: 10 Oct 2006
  20. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

This game was really not all the hype made it seem to be, I was hoping for more differences from BF2. However, it still is a great game, and I can't wait to play it at a LAN sometime!

Tags: Add Tags