bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Oct 2006, 15:16   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
PowerColor Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...950_pro/1.html

Old 30th Oct 2006, 15:29   #2
atanum141
I fapped to your post!

atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.atanum141 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Great article again Tim!

Welcome to Thunderdome, B*tch
XBL: atanum141
atanum141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 16:39   #3
rupbert
Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice review.

Can anyone say where my X800 would fall in terms of performance? is the X19?? range literally twice as powerful?

thx,
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 16:42   #4
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apparantly the X1600 series beats my standard X800PRO. I wanna find one in AGP.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 16:53   #5
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I know the feeling Doug
What would be nice is if (although I know its not something bit normally does) you could perhaps do a mass card round up with similar systems to show those of us that are on older systems just how much of a performance boost newer low end cards have over our older high end cards

::edit:: Just browsing around for cards and overclockers are listing the x1950 as coming out in an AGP flavour! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ics_Cards.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.

Last edited by BioSniper; 30th Oct 2006 at 17:01.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:02   #6
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
190? Compared to 70 for a 256MB X1600? I know what I want.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:03   #7
rupbert
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
I know the feeling Doug
What would be nice is if (although I know its not something bit normally does) you could perhaps do a mass card round up with similar systems to show those of us that are on older systems just how much of a performance boost newer low end cards have over our older high end cards
Great idea.

It's alright saying the X1950 gives an average of 59fps at 1280 x 1024 with 8xAA, but as an owner of an X800 who plays the same game at 1024 x 768 with 4xAA how do I know the value/performance of the X1950 as an upgrade?
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:04   #8
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
Nice review.

Can anyone say where my X800 would fall in terms of performance? is the X19?? range literally twice as powerful?

thx,
I would say that Radeon X800 is about half the speed of Radeon X1900XT in graphics-limited titles. You're going to see bigger differences than that above 1600x1200, because I believe that Z-buffer was tuned for 1600x1200 in the X800 era, as 24" widescreen displays hadn't really taken off back then.

X1950 Pro will play just about every game out there at the moment at 1280x1024 with at least 2xAA, high details and incredibly smooth frame rates. The one exception is probably Oblivion, but that's a pretty hardcore title.
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:11   #9
rupbert
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
I would say that Radeon X800 is about half the speed of Radeon X1900XT in graphics-limited titles. You're going to see bigger differences than that above 1600x1200, because I believe that Z-buffer was tuned for 1600x1200 in the X800 era, as 24" widescreen displays hadn't really taken off back then.
Thanks for that Tim.

The question though, is it worth holding on for a DirectX10 card?

Quote:
X1950 Pro will play just about every game out there at the moment at 1280x1024 with at least 2xAA, high details and incredibly smooth frame rates. The one exception is probably Oblivion, but that's a pretty hardcore title.
That's pretty incredible considering the price.
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:21   #10
Nature
Supermodder

Nature has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FEAR is not a graphical intense Title anymore? I always thought it was not biass on GPU's like doom3 & Halfife were/are....
Old 30th Oct 2006, 18:31   #11
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature
FEAR is not a graphical intense Title anymore? I always thought it was not biass on GPU's like doom3 & Halfife were/are....
It's not that popular anymore to be honest. We'll be making some updates to our testing scenarios very soon.
Old 30th Oct 2006, 21:23   #12
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
Powercolor also seem to be making an AGP version of this card.
Story from Inquirer here:- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35350

The Inq claims the card will retail at around $249, which Google tells me is just over 130ukp at today's rate.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Oct 2006, 21:24   #13
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
Powercolor also seem to be making an AGP version of this card.
Story from Inquirer here:- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35350

The Inq claims the card will retail at around $249, which Google tells me is just over 130ukp at today's rate.
That'll be 130+VAT, so closer to 155.
Old 30th Oct 2006, 21:42   #14
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Another review of what looks like a very promising card. Shame the 1950 Pro's seem to be hitting shelves around the same time as the next gen cards are getting shown off/released. I'm curious if this is ATI's card to sell people who can't or won't buy R600/G80, or whether it's them hoping to get a few bucks outta the old tech before shipping the new stuff out and seeing prices on old stuff freefall.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2006, 07:41   #15
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
That'll be 130+VAT, so closer to 155.
Which (If memory serves) is about what I paid for my current 9600XT all those years ago.
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2006, 10:33   #16
rupbert
Hypermodder

I know it's widening the scope, but it would be interesting to know roughly when DX10 cards are going to be available (even in limited numbers).

If they were to arrive around Q2 I think myself and a few others would consider buying a 'stop-gap' card, to bridge the holiday period. Anyone else in the same situation?
Old 31st Oct 2006, 10:38   #17
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

The first (high-end) DX10 hardware will launch in a few weeks. I don't have any inside info on mainstream DX10 hardware yet, but I don't think we will see it until March.
Old 31st Oct 2006, 11:08   #18
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cheers for the info Tim
However unless you REALLY want a DX10 card would it not be wise to wait till the second gen of them where developers are starting to really use the full set of extensions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2006, 11:15   #19
rupbert
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioSniper
However unless you REALLY want a DX10 card would it not be wise to wait till the second gen of them where developers are starting to really use the full set of extensions?
That's a good point actually.

Is Crysis the only known confirmed game that will take advantage of DX10?

I'm I right in thinking Alan Wake and Half-Life:Episode 2 might also be?

It would be silly to buy a first generation DX10 card if there is only a couple of games actually using it, oh...does this mean I don't belong on bit-tech anymore?
Old 31st Oct 2006, 11:25   #20
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
That's a good point actually.

Is Crysis the only known confirmed game that will take advantage of DX10?

I'm I right in thinking Alan Wake and Half-Life:Episode 2 might also be?

It would be silly to buy a first generation DX10 card if there is only a couple of games actually using it, oh...does this mean I don't belong on bit-tech anymore?
I can't speak for Alan Wake, but I'll bet HL2E2 will still be on the Source engine since re-writing it for DX10 would be a major pain in the arse. I don't think you'll see DX10 in HL until HL3 when they release a new engine.