Just another nobody

WilHarris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ergodex DX1 input system

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/..._system/1.html

WilHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 10:03   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Funky, but for hardcore game players only.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 10:15   #3
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I saw this a while back. It's a great idea, but it's a bit too expensive unless you really hate using a keyboard for games.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 10:34   #4
Reason.Renegade
Minimodder

Reason.Renegade has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great idea and one that could catch on if marketed in the right way and to the right section of the gaming community (possibly hardcore gamers).

The price does have a say in whether this product will be a success and its to high in my honest opinon, if its to compete in the same sector of the peripheral market then it needs to be priced around where the zboard keyboard is, but as its twice the price and as most people are used to the standard keyboard layout there going to have a hard time selling it.
Reason.Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 10:45   #5
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This would be great for World of Warcraft, I can never get the positions right on my keyboard for all the spells and abilities.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 11:26   #6
ralph.pickering
Supermodder

ralph.pickering has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I could see it being useful for someone like our AutoCAD / 3DS Max guy, or other professionals who need customised keys for macros. I might see if we can get a few in as a trial, and well... if one finds its way home with me to more fully test the benefits, then so be it....
ralph.pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 13:08   #7
Djizasse
Minimodder

Djizasse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've got one Ergodex for about a year. I think it's a great product.
In the beginning you should use a setup that's not too different from the normal key layout and then gradually add a key at a time (dead easy with the on the fly record buttton) and relocate them as you get used to the new setup. It's not easy to quickly depart from the WASD layout.

I would like to add a couple (triplet?) of points that were not presented:
- you can press any 6 simultaneous keys (try that on your keyboard)
- you can record macros with timing information
- you can print your layouts and put them under the acrylic cover
Djizasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 14:36   #8
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
I have seen this before but the price has always put me off
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djizasse
I would like to add a couple (triplet?) of points that were not presented:
- you can press any 6 simultaneous keys (try that on your keyboard)
- you can record macros with timing information
- you can print your layouts and put them under the acrylic cover
Thank you. The first of those was one of my biggest questions - It's not unusual for me to have at least 5 keys active at once (my old IBM keyboard allows this but I had trouble with a the Saitek "gamer" keyboard)
Old 17th Nov 2006, 15:26   #9
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by article
...twenty-five numbered keys with adhesive.
Does the adhesive wear off after a while, or leave a residue on the surface of the mat? That's one thing that would put me off, after you've moved the keys around many times - it would be annoying if they lost their 'stickiness'. Minor really, as the product looks grea.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 17:53   #10
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
there was no residue on the surface of the mat after removing them... They're not your typical sticky surface - if the adhesive gets dirty, you can clean it with water and then it becomes sticky again. I must've replaced a couple of keys well over 20 times and they were still sticking just as well as they were when I first stuck them down. All you need to remember is to twist the keys when removing, pulling straight up will cause the adhesive surface to tear.

Here's a quote from the Ergodex FAQ:

Quote:
The DX1 keys have a special material (Ergodexians refer to this as “molecular velcro” or “gecko feet”) on their bottom side, which enables them to stick to the plastic tray on the pad. The molecular velcro is like a mechanical adhesive, which helps the keys stick to the pad very firmly with a gentle press down, and yet, requires just a simple twist on the key base to detach it. Molecular velcro lasts for a very long time and can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth to maintain its effectiveness. Some Ergodexians have experimented with molecular velcro on their own bottom sides presenting interesting results. Don't try this at home.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 18:09   #11
Lazlow
I have a dremel.

Lazlow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
I must've replaced a couple of keys well over 20 times and they were still sticking just as well as they were when I first stuck them down.
Good to know - I suppose my question was fairly obvious, otherwise they'd receive a tonne of complaints from customers, that have lost the stickiness on their keys.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 19:21   #12
Atomic
Gerwaff

Atomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming SaiyanAtomic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Reminds me of the old 'concept keyboards' i used in primary school...

Atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2006, 19:49   #13
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
its to cheap for my pocket...... in reverse.
Old 17th Nov 2006, 19:56   #14
mikeuk2004
What you Looking at Fool!

mikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmikeuk2004 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Didnt Bit do an article on this before a year ago or somehting because this is very old and I can only think it was Bit where I seen it first.

Must of been the time I seen the Optimus Keyboard
Old 18th Nov 2006, 01:05   #15
Nature
Supermodder

Nature has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whoa. That thing is almost as cool as my USB wigi board.
Old 18th Nov 2006, 09:15   #16
xion
Multimodder

xion has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
Some Ergodexians have experimented with molecular velcro on their own bottom sides presenting interesting results. Don't try this at home.

VELCROBUM! i'm such a child!!!

... I used one ... or tried to for a week, just couldn't get used to it. keys have a decent amount of travel, but i'm used to slim-line keyboards, going to this felt like gaming on an oracle reference book!
Old 19th Nov 2006, 00:24   #17
radziecki
What's a Dremel?

radziecki has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Working with Photoshop with mouse only is SO MUCH slower that using keyboard shortcuts... I'd say DX1 has HUGE potential in that area...
Old 20th Nov 2006, 08:12   #18
sadffffff
Hypermodder

sadffffff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
neato
sadffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Nov 2006, 14:54   #19
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radziecki
Working with Photoshop with mouse only is SO MUCH slower that using keyboard shortcuts... I'd say DX1 has HUGE potential in that area...
You're right, it does - I just wish I could spare the time to learn all of the keyboard shortcuts.
Old 20th Nov 2006, 17:25   #20
Djizasse
Minimodder

Djizasse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Ergodex isn't cheap :s But I think you get what you paid for. Excellent quality and ergonomics. Even Falcon-NW offers it as an option.

And if you try to get a keyboard that allows you to press any 6 keys simultaneously, you'll only find "old" keyboards, costing much more than an ergodex and too much noisy for my taste (click click goodness for some). And forget abou customizing the layout to your hand.
You can build your own controller, www.xkeys.com sell the basic components for you to go crazy, but you still end up with a fixed layout.

To my knowledge, ergodex is the only controller with "wireless" keys, and this is it's defining feature.

Some layouts:
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/...e_Ergodex.html

Some guy have even modded the ergodex:

http://www.ergodex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257
Djizasse is offline   Reply With Quote