bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Modding

Old 13th Jan 2007, 04:17   #1
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
How many amps does an AA put out?

I had an idea for a future project (and hopefully the start of a company ) to have some LEDs run off a couple of AA batteries, but I need to know:

How many amps does a single AA battery put out?
Old 13th Jan 2007, 04:31   #2
Snafu-X-
Multimodder

Snafu-X- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I looked around, and the consensus seems to be 2400mA for most AA batteries. Energizer claims a peak of 2700 on theirs.
Old 13th Jan 2007, 04:40   #3
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Once quick other question, how many amps is 2400mA?
Old 13th Jan 2007, 04:46   #4
Snafu-X-
Multimodder

Snafu-X- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
2.4 amps, but good look getting that for long from a AA battery.
Old 13th Jan 2007, 04:57   #5
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu-X-
That's what I feared.. well, the lovable molex will come into play then
Old 13th Jan 2007, 07:00   #6
Emon
Hypermodder

Emon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu-X-
If it's 2400mAh, then you would get 2400 mA for one hour. I'm not sure if mAh ratings take into account the voltage drop of the battery over time, etc.
Emon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2007, 09:13   #7
jakenbake
full duplex

jakenbake has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
theres no way you get 2.4 amps from a AA battery. you get less from a 9volt when you stick it across your tounge. maybe 2.4 for like milliseconds...
Old 13th Jan 2007, 10:36   #8
SteveyG
Electromodder

SteveyG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSteveyG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's about 2400mAh for an AA, 1200mAh for a AAA and 550mAh for a PP3 battery.

2400mAh means you can draw 2.4A for one hour, 1.2A for two horus, 0.6A for four hours etc...
SteveyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2007, 11:37   #9
Moriquendi
Bit Tech Biker

Moriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the DremelMoriquendi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1C (that is: theoreticly discharging the battery in 1 hour) is not that high a discharge rate for a battery, even a consumer AA. But you wont get that long out of it, the capacity of a battery is measured at the 20 hour rate and the faster you discharge it the less energy you get out in total.

I have to wonder about your electrical knowledge if you cant convert between mA and A

Moriquendi
Moriquendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2007, 19:18   #10
ConKbot of Doom
Mod Master

ConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the DremelConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the DremelConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the DremelConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the DremelConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the DremelConKbot of Doom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbake
theres no way you get 2.4 amps from a AA battery. you get less from a 9volt when you stick it across your tounge. maybe 2.4 for like milliseconds...
well for one, 9v batteries have a high internal resistance, and your saliva isnt that great of a conductor either, not compared to a copper wire. AA NiMH batteries can put out over 20A for short periods (seconds-a minute or two) Ive measured that myself...
Old 13th Jan 2007, 19:24   #11
TTmodder
Hammertime

TTmodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
it depends of battery types. alkaline is (if i remember right) 1.5 volts but not much amps (cant remeber how much), while ni-cd\ni-hm only are 1.2 volt but comes in all ranges like 1200 mili-A to energizers 2700 mili-A.
TTmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2007, 20:07   #12
OtakuHawk
The Post of The Beast

OtakuHawk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
anyone wanna link a chart giving max current drain for standard cells?

My google fails me.
Old 13th Jan 2007, 21:44   #13
jakenbake
full duplex

jakenbake has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom
AA NiMH batteries can put out over 20A for short periods (seconds-a minute or two) Ive measured that myself...
well, damn. you learn something new every day.
Old 30th May 2008, 00:00   #14
questioner
What's a Dremel?

questioner has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
HELP

battery info:

question:

The cam uses 9v at 300ma I believe (or so it says).

Which item will last the longest for the cam (generally)?
4 triple A
4 double A
1 9V
questioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:36   #15
Reverend_Jones
Morte Nunquam Reget

Reverend_Jones has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuHawk View Post
anyone wanna link a chart giving max current drain for standard cells?

My google fails me.
Battery Chart
Reverend_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 00:56   #16
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner View Post
battery info:

question:

The cam uses 9v at 300ma I believe (or so it says).

Which item will last the longest for the cam (generally)?
4 triple A
4 double A
1 9V
The mAh can be thought of as the rate of energy it can provide for you. In the same application, you can eliminate the time component of it, and look at the numbers as energy. 4*2400 >> 550.
Old 30th May 2008, 01:16   #17
modgodtanvir
Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

modgodtanvir has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I thought it was more a case of the amp hours. Could a battery rated 0.79Ah not put out a current of 7.9A for 1 hour?
modgodtanvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 01:26   #18
cpemma
Ecky thump

cpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
4*2400 >> 550.
But 4*1.5V = 6V (or 4.8V with rechargeables) so 4 AA or AAA cells won't run the 9V cam at all.

Quote:
Could a battery rated 0.79Ah not put out a current of 7.9A for 1 hour?
No. The battery datasheet may show a family of curves for different discharge rates, at the low and high current extremes life will be better and worse than the forecast from the Ah figure.

Last edited by cpemma; 30th May 2008 at 01:50.
cpemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2008, 02:32   #19
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpemma View Post
But 4*1.5V = 6V (or 4.8V with rechargeables) so 4 AA or AAA cells won't run the 9V cam at all.
Read the bloody post why don't I?!
Old 30th May 2008, 03:17   #20
mvagusta
Did a skid that went for two weeks.

mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.mvagusta is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConKbot of Doom View Post
AA NiMH batteries can put out over 20A for short periods (seconds-a minute or two) Ive measured that myself...
I'd be fricken amazed if any AA could put out 20a for even one second

Maybe a large battery pack of AA's could output 20a, maybe that's what is meant here
mvagusta is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode