1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Terrorists using Google Maps to target Brit troops

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 15 Jan 2007.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have google earth imagery on my computer of one British base. Because my friend is called Souter. And the Camp is Souter.

Am I a terrorist?

3. quack

quack Minimodder

Durka durka!

4. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

lmao, nice choice of image

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What a load of BS. The images on Google are hardly up to date, they can get the same information about the lay of the land from thousands of other sources, not just google maps.

Nice choice of image again! :D

6. walle

walle Minimodder

goggle is your friend ;)

Last edited: 15 Jan 2007
  7. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Love the picture, lol.

And yeah, they should block them out. Don't they block out jails, etc...? Or was that some other map program?

8. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

As much as I am for the dissemination of free information, when it comes to the safety of a large number of people, common sense has to take over. They should block military installations in combat areas, at least as long as there is active conflict in the area.

9. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

This is a very sensitiv subject, I think it is very neccecary to censor those kind of imagery thaz could be used for targeting and such...

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Can't the military have the maps covered up in google and then reposition the tents/huts in the base?

Pain in the bum but I'd take a pain in the bum over an RPG in the bum any day... :/

11. WarMachine

WarMachine American Swine

While I agree that this is a tragic use of a wonderfully informative app, when you get down to brass tacks, it's really no different than an enemy using local maps to formulate an attack strategy.

Call me what you will, but I don't feel right complaining that the enemy is using any resource they can to fight their side of the war.

Homo sapiens are a very resourceful enemy to face on the field of battle. We adapt to survive, and we tend to make use of any and everything that is at hand to ensure victory, no matter what side of a conflict we may be on.

We (Americans and other coalition forces) use satellites and precision laser-guided weapons of destruction, and we're going to get our panties in a twist because the enemy knows how to read a map?
    :confused:

Edit: And as far as showing the location of individual buildings on a base, that isn't anything an enemy can't determine from a few hours' recon.

12. Regenesis

Regenesis What's a Dremel?

It'd be logical to censor such installations out of safety. However, if they assume that terrorists use google maps then why not use it to their advantage and "falsify" certain areas? It could be a pain but it could be a strategic resource.

13. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

so are we not using this against them? don't tell me we don't have better intel on them..

come on, this is war, what's fair about it....

edit: i'd rather have large civilian gatherings censored for safety and the images are no where near upto date.

14. leonardob80

leonardob80 What's a Dremel?

easy solution.... take your troops out of there. (irak... not muve the base)

15. leonardob80

leonardob80 What's a Dremel?

at WWII british intelligence used ruber tanks, trucks and buildings to confuse luftwafe air photos... that was at Africa (agiants Romell africankorps)... and it was a sucesful operation... why no take notes of history?

16. Ringold

Ringold What's a Dremel?

On the one hand, censoring sets up a precedent for the government to take information away from us.

On the other hand, this shouldn't be an issue, 'cause Google, I think, should blank out parts of its map upon request when security is an issue. Ideally, going forward, they'd filter what gets provided so that instead of moving things reactively they're doing it proactively.

Maybe that's too subtle, but there's a difference; Google doing so willingly versus a politician forcing it do something. I'm all about the liberty :)

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I didnt read any previous post but wouldnt the easiest solution is to not allow the ability to look up maps of military locations that are stationary for such things?
    But in any case ohwell Im sure it will all work out in the end

18. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

what a load of donkeys dropping.. they have better information from people on the ground and google isn't that up to date in most areas anyway. If it is, the installation has been there for ages and they have it well planned out anyway, a google map/image is only a convenience
    Get over it

19. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

Meh. Google, please take it down, before we get more laws. That's about the biggest concern for me, here - show some discretion, 'cos bloody legislators won't.

It's not something anyone needs to see,really. To the comment "it only takes a few hours' recon" - a few hours is quite a lot, really, and anyway why make it any easier?

'Course, the ideal solution...? Yank everyone out. It was a silly idea anyway.

20. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

some ares on goole maps is about 5 years + out of date. so I dont see how they can be worried.

Where I live in sheffield a new building has been standing for 3 years now and google maps still show a deserted waste land and not the building thats been her for years.

Google maps is one of the best inventions in the world allowing anyone to beable to see places they would never see in their lifetime. cant take it away.

Tags: Add Tags