1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel to push the use of Mini-ITX more.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 23 Jan 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I've been using a mini-itx rig for my main system for 6months now and I've not looked back.

Hope to see some new boards on the horizon soon!

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not at the expense of the EPIA range though. :/ but then again, having the ability to use any CPU I want is a massive bonus.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if at least they were cheaper i would make a portable workstation to take to my uni, instead of buying a laptop that can not be upgraded with ease.

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

EPIA would still be alive I think. Its very different to a cpu based system, not to mention via having a core duo option epia already :D

6. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I like VIA, I'd love to see VIA become more successful. But honestly, I think VIA's future is not looking good. :(

I'm not sure Intel saying "ITX is good" will really effect the industry, I say that mainly 'cause ITX has been around for a while and I think anyone who would want to use ITX has probbably already looked at it. I also think there will be producers who remember Intel's plans for BTX.

L J

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I've looked at ITX several times and would love to build a system based on it. The only things holding me back are performance and price. I found ITX boards that support C2D but none that I saw had 16x PCI-e (Commel had a board with a 16x slot but didn't run it at full width and the price was to high). Ideally I'd like to see a board with a C2D socket, 965 chipset (with a mild overclocking BIOS), and a 16x PCI-e slot laid flat like so:
    Code:
     ________________  ______
    |                ||      |
    |  Motherboard   __ Video|
    |                || card |
    |                __      |
    |________________||______|
    Since pretty much everything else is onboard anyway this plus a low profile cooling system would allow people to make decently powerful, highly portable, UPGRADEABLE systems in a format similar to laptops or (better yet) the newer iMacs.

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I have the commell board and I run an x800 gto2 on it fine :)

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Cool. I saw some reports that said it only worked at 1x or 4x. Can you confirm what speed / width it actually runs at?

10. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

wow i would defionatly look into a itx board if they came down in price ( i never even found out about the core2 option ?!?!?) lol
    they come in handy for car pcs as well which would be another plus

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

A better industry standard would be great, would definitely make it easier to build these. And cheaper too.
    I was looking at getting a SFF for a media center, but due to the lack of real upgrade ability, I am going for a HTPC case.

Little typo

Last edited: 24 Jan 2007
  12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Mini-ITX but cheaper would be awesome, perhaps become more standard than mATX? I know I'd rather get mITX seeing as it's smaller, provided it had PCIe...

Last edited: 24 Jan 2007
  13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Don't ya hate it when that happens.
    *fixed

14. Nezuji

Nezuji What's a Dremel?

I also run an EPIA SP13000 as my only computer and it works a treat. As for new boards, check out www.mini-itx.com. In addition to the 12cm square Nano-ITX, VIA have just announced a 10cm x 7.2cm "Pico-ITX" model.

I can't really say that I agree with the "expensive" bit, though. I paid a premium for mine, since I got it when it had only been on the market for a month or two, and it still cost a touch less than a low-end Celeron/Mobo pair would've cost me at the time.

Nezuji :)

15. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

As far as I know it runs at full speed. I've never had an issue with a single game :)

Tags: Add Tags