bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Jan 2007, 11:20   #1
Tim S
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.Tim S is definitely a rep cheat.
USC students are a bunch of pirates - RIAA

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/01...ch_of_pirates/

Old 29th Jan 2007, 12:15   #2
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
they can start removing every network connection, every usb connection, every cd and dvd recorder of every pc in USC, that way they can marginally lower piracy
Old 29th Jan 2007, 12:18   #3
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
they can start removing every network connection, every usb connection, every cd and dvd recorder of every pc in USC, that way they can marginally lower piracy
But I listen to the songs in my head! I'm a pirate! They're going to steal my brainzzzz.

Told you the MPAA/RIAA were zombies.

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 12:19   #4
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
But isnt that taking it too far?

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 13:28   #5
saxman
Multimodder

saxman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I being in one right now known for piracy I know that it is a problem on college campuses. many students never having a computer or a high speed connection before almost don't know what to do with it. So they steal things. The scary thing is it doesn't stop with music. Here anything is up for grabs. Music, Videos, Programs, just about anything that can be put on a computer. No matter what the admins attempt to do piracy will exist as long as there are computers on campus.
saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 13:37   #6
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Crickey...

They think USC is bad, they should come to Eton!

There used to be something called simply 'The Network' which was a 1Tb Data Server that was basically filled with all the pron, games, movies, music ect. that you could ever dream of. However, that 'supposedly' **cough, cough** got shut down the year before I came.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 13:44   #7
rupbert
Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not sure how American University networks are run, however here in the UK we (Library Board) force proxy authentication for any machine that connects to the network, including mobile devices.

We have hardware monitoring every piece of traffic sent, and it can be traced back to the machine that the requests came from (mac filtering, dns resolution etc...).

Now unless USC have a similar setup, which I'm assuming they don't, it will be next to impossible for them to target and punish individual students.

Can anyone in an American University just bring a wireless laptop and connect anonymously, is there is some sort of network authentication procedure?

If it's the former then I'm surprised it's this low.
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 14:17   #8
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm at school right now, connected with my MBP to OpenWireless (whereas most other people are connected to Babson with their school-provided Thinkpad). So, no, there's no authentication. At least not here. The wired/private wireless networks manage to block out at least bit-torrent traffic (at least unencrypted stuff, IIRC), although most people here seem to use LimeWire without issue. Well... by "issue", I mean traffic problems, not spyware and C&D letters.

Although the whole network's been really flaky since we got back from Xmas break. I think that's unrelated though, even if it does seem worse when I have my bit-torrent client of choice open. I mean, those 200+ tracked GBs didn't seed themselves, did they?
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 14:19   #9
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkiller42
But isnt that taking it too far?

Sam
please hear what they forced MS to do to vista and come and say that again.

edit:
a little off-topic: http://mafiaa.org/
Old 29th Jan 2007, 15:49   #10
scifi3018
Supermodder

scifi3018 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I go to clemson, and i can say that were proud to be better than our nemis USC in one more field (being less of a target for the RIAA).

Clemson has its fair share of piracy, however most of the students use 'on-campus' alternatives as opposed to bit-torrent, and p2p networks. This keeps the RIAA involvement to a minimum on our side.

Apparently our rivals dont know this
Old 29th Jan 2007, 16:40   #11
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
Can anyone in an American University just bring a wireless laptop and connect anonymously, is there is some sort of network authentication procedure?

If it's the former then I'm surprised it's this low.
The former is definitely an open door for trouble of many kinds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman
I being in one right now known for piracy I know that it is a problem on college campuses. many students never having a computer or a high speed connection before almost don't know what to do with it. So they steal things. The scary thing is it doesn't stop with music. Here anything is up for grabs. Music, Videos, Programs, just about anything that can be put on a computer. No matter what the admins attempt to do piracy will exist as long as there are computers on campus.
Obviously they're not teaching ethics (though I'd hope most people have some good ethics before they get there). And this is "the future"?

Edit
Quote:
edit:
a little off-topic: http://mafiaa.org/
Bwahahaha
Old 29th Jan 2007, 16:48   #12
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
My college (Chichester College or CCOAST) is about to set up a wireless access point in our dinning area woot, free internet, but i bet you will need a novel client program to connect to the servers to connect to our work and the internet, heh, that would be quite funny though, printing something from the dinning room into a room on the far side of the college
There would be a constant stream of people collecting there work from the many printers in the college, haha.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 17:06   #13
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
meh I have seen file sharing done over port 80 through a proxy server that checked the data was web traffic. Most impresive hack ever (although it did require an off site pc with internet connection). Point is that there is no way of securing a computer system with an internet connection. ever.
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 17:10   #14
rupbert
Hypermodder

rupbert has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipman725
meh I have seen file sharing done over port 80 through a proxy server that checked the data was web traffic. Most impresive hack ever (although it did require an off site pc with internet connection). Point is that there is no way of securing a computer system with an internet connection. ever.
The above is a nice trick, but it wouldn't get past our systems
rupbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 17:32   #15
Nova
Modder

Nova has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am also a clemson student. The University of South Carolina is a our biggest rival. they are known as USC but please do not confuse them with the University of Souther California, 2 totally different schools on different sides of the country.

we have an on campus network that holds movies, tv shows, music, programs and more, but it can only be accessed from the campus network. once you are hand approved with university email.

i also torrent on my own for what i want that i usually then add to the general good server. port 80 is the only decent one to use with the rest of the internet traffic. upload speeds very between 400k and 1.6 megs.

other programs like mytunesredux and limewire are also used rabidly.

the wireless network is secured. during the first few weeks you must login with university assigned id name and pass word. during other times you have to have the wep key (which is widely known through the computer savy of campus) and then also log in and validate and take an oath sign over your children and such...
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 18:56   #16
randosome
Banned

randosome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
The above is a nice trick, but it wouldn't get past our systems
cant you just make an encrypted tunnel back to your home PC

therefore, although you would know a certain student is using x bandwidth, its all encrypted - and through 1 port so you wouldn't know what it is
randosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 19:39   #17
bilbothebaggins
Multimodder

bilbothebaggins has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
... however here in the UK we (Library Board) force proxy authentication for any machine that connects to the network, including mobile devices.

We have hardware monitoring every piece of traffic sent, and it can be traced back to the machine that the requests came from (mac filtering, dns resolution etc...).

Ah yes. The oh so Great Britain. The country with 4.5 million CCTVs. The country where they start to cctv children in primary school. Monitoring every piece of ... life.

bilbothebaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 20:02   #18
specofdust
Banned

specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.specofdust is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothebaggins
Ah yes. The oh so Great Britain. The country with 4.5 million CCTVs. The country where they start to cctv children in primary school. Monitoring every piece of ... life.

Indeed, the power to abuse exists everywhere, and yet we experience little abuse of it using that power. Conversely, in certain other first world countries(one in particular) the power to abuse isn't nearly so pervasive, and yet the abuse is far more common and widespread.
specofdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2007, 22:46   #19
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar
Obviously they're not teaching ethics (though I'd hope most people have some good ethics before they get there). And this is "the future"?

You would have a hard time convincing a lot of people that filesharing IS unethical. The **AAs would have yu believe that any time you're not paying them for each time you listen to the music you paid for, you're breaking the law and comitting a carndinal sin, etc etc. My belief is that sharing for private use is not wrong, regardless of what the law may say. Unless someone is trying to sell copyrighted material, then I have no problem with it.
Old 29th Jan 2007, 23:26   #20
cpemma
Ecky thump

cpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysiscpemma can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthippo
You would have a hard time convincing a lot of people that filesharing IS unethical.
I think you'd have a very easy time finding people who think making your music available via the internet to absolutely anybody who wants a copy goes far beyond running a copy or two off for friends. That's all that happened in the days of tape and nobody was bothered.

I mean, if everybody got their music free there'd be no commercial music.