1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Clean install Vista with upgrade DVD via loophole

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Jan 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

How can they stop it though without forcing the serial number to be entered on installation?

3. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Standard MS product testing!

Mind you glad of this as having to reinstall 2 operating systems would have been a right royal PITA!

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Hang on, does the 30 day trial allow you to enter a serial at the end of it, or does it lock you out irrevocably and require you to reinstall? If it's the former, why the double install hassle? Surely a single install then clocking the date forward to force serial entry/activation will be sufficient... :)

Of course, if it's the latter, then it doesn't work. ;)

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

It's the former.

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Hi,

I think it's fairly clear this is the sort of thing that'll be closed down fairly soon, so we'll end up doing two installs.

What really gets up my nose is that this is all based on the ridiculous, arrogant Microsoft fantasy that you don't have to reinstall yearly. Obviously, Windows is so perfect and longlived that you never have to reinstall it, so this isn't a problem, is it!

Oh, no. Just a sec.

Phil

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Yeah personally I reformat every 8 months; I use an image that I create after the initial install and setup and just use Acronis DriveImage to quickly shadow it onto the drive...

8. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

rupbert, might have to ask you about how that works at a later date me thinks. Am I right in thinking it is only the OEM version that is affected by this lockdown or is it retail as well?

9. Paradigm Shifter

OK. :D

So I just discovered an even easier work around?

And how exactly, did this "workaround" spread around the web when there is an easier (and even more obvious) way? :confused:

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't know whether the latter works because you're not "upgrading" anything. :)

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'm assuming people buying the upgrade ed. would get the retail version as the full OEM isn't much more?!

12. Paradigm Shifter

Well, yes, exactly. :) I've not got a release copy of Vista to test this - last build I've got is RC2. :)

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think the OEM version is cheaper than the upgrade.....

14. The Bart Man

The Bart Man What's a Dremel?

The OEM version should be the same as the retail version only you don't get any support. The upgrade version is cheaper then te retail but more expesive then the OEM. But if this workaround works (witch is a verry simpel one) that could safe a lot of money. Would it be possible for microsoft to track you down if you installed it this way?!

15. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Why would they bother? You've bought a legitimate version of the software and installed it (even if not exactly how they wanted you to). The PR fiasco would not be worth their time (or loss of profits) if they shut down people who bought legitimate software and stopped them using it for something this silly.

Tags: Add Tags