1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft to ignore Vista upgrade loophole

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

The whole Vista purchasing system is a bit of a mess if you ask me. Although you can get Home Premium for under £60, which is brilliant value, you've then got Ultimate costing about £320 for retail, 3-pack OEMs which cost no less than buying them seperately and upgrade editions (including student ones of course) which aren't upgrades at all...

<A88>

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

If it stops piracy (you have to buy the upgrade disk) then it will just mean more sales of a vista disk (be it OEM/UPGRADE/RETAIL) etc.. so its a good thing to be fair.

Also, its good for those that get the crappy update disk from OEMs if they want to install Vista cleanly on their PC that came with XP+update disk.

Go MS for making a nice decision :)

4. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

so basically (just to clarify to me) you can do a fresh install of vista from the update disk without actually having a previous install of any os on the hdd?

5. fini

fini What's a Dremel?

yes

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yup, though it is intended to work that way - you should be able to install the upgrade onto a virgin HDD, provided you have a valid XP (or presumably Win2k etc.) licence key.

[edit] oh no - I'm wrong - this is how it USED to work with XP etc. Apparently Vista upgrades supposedly require booting from within XP/2K, though you can still, having gone through this process, wipe the HDD and do a clean install from there. The loophole also removes the need to install XP/2K first. [/edit]

As I understand it, the 'loophole' is that, if you don't put the XP key in on installation, you can get Vista to boot on a 30 day trial basis, and you can then validate that into a non-trial copy of Vista by inputting your Vista key, without ever having shown Vista a valid XP disc or licence key.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I wouldn't have though MS cared all that much TBH. The people who buy the upgrade disk will firstly, be buying a product off them, and if it makes the few people that bother to do it more likely to get vista, is an increase in the market dominance at the cost of a few quid. It's not like MS arn't rolling in the stuff.

8. randosome

randosome Banned

i don't suppose someone could clarify for me, do you actually need to enter a XP serial to do this ?

It doesn't say enter the XP serial ... but it doesn't clarify which serial you need

9. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

You just need the serial/product key which came with the Vista upgrade.

<A88>

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A cunning move by MS, some geeks will be dashing out to buy Upgrade figuring they're putting one over on teh evil M$. :lol:

If the system's going to change in future the logical point is if MS decide to slipstream SP1 into a new pressing a la XPSP2. That's not far away, really.

However,
    • Home P OEM £67.53
    • Home P Upg £133.39
    • Home P Full £197.62
    (ebuyer prices inc VAT)

OEM with a new motherboard still looks best bang-for-buck if you don't change mobos too often. :confused:
    Bless... :rolleyes:

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Over here, the cost difference is a little less of an issue. OEM is $129, upgrade is $159. I bought the OEM version simply because I don't mind having only the 64 bit code - it's not really much of a problem. But those who may switch computers now and again would probably buy the upgrade just for the versatility.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if it fills their pockets with cash......

Tags: Add Tags