1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US Senator thinks iPods can kill you

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

The US is moving toward the Nanny State!

In happier news, Gamestop is firing staff that sell games to underage kids and also their managers.

3. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

Uhm.. what did that guy smoke when he came up with that idea? :|

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Ooookay, yeah it's dangerous, but when people use one THEY take the risk, and unless they do it while driving or something, then they will only cause harm to themselves. May as well ban alcohol, cos that kills you. Oh yeah and saturated fats as well, anyone eating saturated fats faces a $100 fine, police will be on hand to test any food you eat for saturated fats. People who sell food that contain saturated fats will be executed on the spot.

5. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

And in next weeks news Senator plans to introduce a bubble wrap law requiring everyone in the city to wrapped in at least 6 meters of Bubble wrap, the Senator is quoted as saying "this will allow the cushioning of all impacts on streets and as a bonus will allow people to relieve stress by popping bubbles."
    Mind you will a law that dramatically impacts the way Wall Street currently does business have any chance of being passed.

6. randosome

randosome Banned

maybe jack thompson

this sounds stupid, i thought Britain was the nanny state (though we would probably follow suit if it passes)

its sad though, i generally don't go along fiddling with my MP3 player when I'm walking, but i do listen to it, why shouldn't i be allowed to ...

7. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMFAO!!!

Someone probably said to him 'imagine we could get $100 from every person on the street with an ipod or blackberry' jokingly and he just saw dollar signs and created the bill... :D

8. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

How do morons like that get to be senators. He is just trying to make a name for himself, no chance he will have any success. What sort of free country would prevent people from carrying any active electrical device on foot in a whole city. Would it not be possible to pass a bill where when someone does something like this and fails they have to wear a hat with "Im a ******* Idiot" written on it?

9. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

and the first nomination for F**king stupid idea has officially been received, the nominee go's into a prize draw in win 1 of 5 ipods

10. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Well, easy way to solve any crime involving ipods: use black headphones. The white headphones are so distinctive nowadays, theives know exactly what to look for. If everyone who had an ipod had black headphones instead, then it would make it alot harder for the theives to know what the person would be carrying, and most likely reduce this crime rate.

That's what I think anyway, probably a load of crap.

But they're wanting to ban mobile phones on the streets of New York too? That's far too excessive.

11. calking13

calking13 What's a Dremel?

Can I clear something up? I've seen the bill before and you would only get a citation IF you were caught using a mobile device WHILE crossing a street. That's it. Still a little excessive.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yeah true. Tim, your article is misleading and a little sensationalist. I thought this place was bit-tech - not the SUN ;)

@calking: i dunno man. the amount if people i see paying NO attention to what they're doing while lost in conversation on their phone or trying to find a song on their mp3 player - i had to grab some guy to stop him from getting nailed by a taxi once, he was so engaged on his phone he didn't notice the traffic - i think it might make people actually take notice, and may reduce the number of fatalities we see. it's pretty much the same as driving while on the phone.

13. feckless2k1

feckless2k1 Minimodder

Whats next? Banning talking to people on the street, in case you loose concentration? Maybe we should all walk a few feet apart so we don't bang into each other or trip over..!

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If people can't be bothered to be consciously aware of things happening around them, then I'm afraid it's just a case of natural selection :)

15. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

All I can say to that is.. w0rd dude

16. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I agree :thumb:.

17. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

hes right

18. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

I think its just a case of being extra aware of whats about. I use a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps that block out everything. Watching cars go past and make no noise is pretty weird.

I haven't died... yet :p and most people with iPods use the stock earphones which let in plenty of noise. How you can just walk out into traffic I have no idea.

19. MrSatyre

MrSatyre What's a Dremel?

Fact: stupid people don't look around before crossing the street. I nearly run over umpteen zillion pinheads every week because they simply don't think before they walk (as if their few brain cells are so involved with the process of walking, they no longer have energy enough to process the notion and then the action of taking in their surroundings before moving into or along the street where big, heavy metal machines could possibly crush their tiny, squishy bodies).

Fact: stupid people pay more attention to their cell phone conversations and their iPods while driving or walking or biking than they do to their surroundings. Mix the two together, you have a disaster in the making.

Fact: Whenever a pedestrian or a bicyclist is hit by a car, accidentally or intentionally, insurance premiums skyrocket for everyone involved. Medical professionals and law enforcement officers are taken out of action to deal with them, which should be a crime on the part of the "victim" if they engaged in criminally negligent behavior in the first place (paying more attention to their cell phone conversation or wearing headphones with an iPod while crossing the street---can't hear traffic or blaring horns warning them to get the hell out of the way).

Conclusion: I'm am all for NOT banning the use of these devices, so that more stupid people can be made aware of first hand the lessons of Evolution, and therein hopefully reduce the number of stupid-genes in the gene pool.

:wallbash:

20. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tags: Add Tags