bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Feb 2007, 19:47   #1
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
DIY Solid State Drive uses SD Cards

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/02..._ssd_sd_cards/

Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 20:00   #2
DougEdey
I pwn all your storage

DougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the DremelDougEdey has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Pointless really. Isn't RAMDISK cheaper?

DougEdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 20:06   #3
[1N0V471V]
Multimodder

[1N0V471V] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
So it's a nice idea, poorly executed, but the price could drop by the time Vista arrives.
Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it doesn't quite seem right...
Dell 2007WFP - Danger Den TDX Universal Top - Windows XP Professional

Dell E1505 - 2GHz Core 2 Duo T7200 - 1GB DDR533
ATI Radeon X1400 - 15.4" WSXGA+ with TrueLife
60GB Samsung SATA 5400RM HDD - DVD+/-RW

[1N0V471V] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 20:16   #4
Firehed
Why not? I own a domain to match.

Firehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the DremelFirehed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hm, knock about $200 off the price and they might have something. Maybe.
MacPro @ 8x2.8GHz, 10GB FBDDR2, 3TB HD :: MBP @ 2x2.2GHz, 4GB DDR2, 320GB HD
Firehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 20:54   #5
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Century has developed a 2.5 secure digital (SD) to Parallel Port SSD adapter,...
to me "Parallel Port" is the old printer port. Do you mean that or IDE port?

This reminds me of the Matrox triplHead2Go - Nice idea but the list of compatible parts is too limited and the price for the adapter itself is Way too High.
Old 20th Feb 2007, 22:11   #6
Kipman725
When did I get a custom title!?!

Kipman725 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I already have a CF to ide adaptor that I got from ebay for 2 and use to run one of my dos boxes which been a p200 insta boots (bios flashes 1s then im at dos prompt). This is posible becuse CF cards don't need conversion circuitry to comunicate over IDE and if givven a MBR show as a standard HD. This seems like a waste of money when cf cards would be so much cheaper to use (although you would still be better off with more ram if its performance and not an os drive you want).
Kipman725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 22:15   #7
Glider
/dev/null

Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.Glider is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar
to me "Parallel Port" is the old printer port. Do you mean that or IDE port?
What most people call IDE is actually PATA...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment
Old 20th Feb 2007, 22:21   #8
MixWizard
Multimodder

MixWizard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if it provided alot more space for that price then maybe i'd be intrested
MixWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 22:25   #9
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
wouldn't one of the cheap compact flash to IDE adaptors such as: http://www.schrotthal.de/cf_ide_scsi...all--thumb.jpg work just as well if not better due to the ide structure of CF cards and be a fair bit cheaper?
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 22:35   #10
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider
What most people call IDE is actually PATA...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your linked article
With the market introduction of Serial ATA in 2003, the original ATA was retroactively renamed Parallel ATA (PATA).
But if you look up parallel port you get: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port. Once upon a time external (zip) drives connected through that - I guess I'm just that old eh
Old 20th Feb 2007, 23:04   #11
JazX101
Multimodder

JazX101 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its an interesting idea, and bridges solid state technology with conventional storage tech. This is a good thing as it will make it easier for other companies to make better and more competitive products.
AMD XP 3200+ w/ ThermalRight SI-07A w/ Custom Acrylic 4-Point Mount || DFI LAN-Party NFII Ultra B || 1Gb OZC Gold C2 || 580W Black Hiper Modular PSU || 620GB SATA Hdds (2 x 160 Gb Maxtor DMax 9 + 300Gb Maxtor DMax 10) || Realtek A7600 GT 256Mb DDR3 Graphics running Dual Iiyama ProLite E431s
Sorted the kit, materials list and the project, now where's the money?? Posessed of an avatar, I must be going up in the world!
JazX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 23:06   #12
Anakha
Supermodder

Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Anakha is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Personally, I'm more interested in the "Hybrid" drives MS have shown on Channel9 (ReadyDrive), where the HDD has a few GB "Flash Cache". When reading from the drive, it's transparent wether the data is in the flash or on a platter, but (Of course) this makes data access for the cached information much faster.

So, for example, just before restart the data on the flash is arranged so the files needed for the next boot are all cached, and after the machine is booted the most recently used applications are loaded into the flash so the system can run faster. It's also interesting for laptops (Where they were showing this off), 'cause it means the HDD can really go to sleep, with 99% of the data being kept in the flash (Including writes), so all those little writes back to the HDD for the page file and the like don't require HDD spinup, thus giving a laptop a longer battery life. And, of course, on shutdown the cached data can be written back to the platters.

I think, however, it'll be really interesting when you have a 500Gb HDD with a 50Gb "Flash Cache". Then pretty much the entire OS can be cached ready in the fast flash memory, and applications and the like can stream videos and data from the platters as and when. It'd also make for a 75% silent HTPC, where the hard-drive is only spun up for content, and is sitting idle and spun down the rest of the time.
Old 20th Feb 2007, 23:23   #13
randosome
Banned

randosome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In laptops, it wouldn't make sense to keep spinning down the HDD unless you know you aren't going to use it for a long time, because it requires quite a lot of energy to get the drive up to full speed (and time as well)

However, i guess you could spin the drive slowly (like 3k rpm) to save energy, however, whatever happens HDD's are going to drain power out of laptops quite a lot

i also have to wonder if this SD drive is actually cheaper then an iRam drive, and it certainly ain't beating any records for speed

on the subject of cheap ram - What happened to AMD's Z-Ram
randosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 23:40   #14
DXR_13KE
Madeira's banana is the best!!!

DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.DXR_13KE is definitely a rep cheat.
this wont fly very high.

but the CF to IDE converter looks very nice.....
Old 20th Feb 2007, 23:44   #15
bubsterboo
Hypermodder

bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bubsterboo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Agreed. CF to IDE is a better option then this.
Old 21st Feb 2007, 09:44   #16
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
this wont fly very high.

but the CF to IDE converter looks very nice.....
I managed to pick one up for less than 5 including shipping, was planning on using it in a small media centre instead of a hard drive but might save it for when I upgrade to vista although at that price I may as well get more if I need them.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Old 21st Feb 2007, 14:42   #17
Tyr
Multimodder

Tyr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almightyrastus
I managed to pick one up for less than 5 including shipping, was planning on using it in a small media centre instead of a hard drive but might save it for when I upgrade to vista although at that price I may as well get more if I need them.
Nice Linux media centre on a 16GB flash drive in a VIA box...
Old 21st Feb 2007, 21:48   #18
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr
Nice Linux media centre on a 16GB flash drive in a VIA box...
yeah something like that, would like to do something with a passive cooled via board with the only moving part being the dvd drive, something completely silent in operation. Would be nice to run xp mce on it though simply because that is what i am used to.
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 00:59   #19
speedfreek
Ultramodder

speedfreek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too expensive to fly, the CF adapters would be nicer.
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2007, 19:53   #20
dire_wolf
Last Of The Dovakhiin

dire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for presidentdire_wolf should be considered for president
HMM due to the finite write cycles of an SD/CF card, wouldn't the cards die pretty quickly if you were using them as virtual memory?

I remember reading an article where someone tried it in XP with a CF-IDE adaptor and the Card died within 4 minutes.

Don't know if vista is less intensive on virtual memory?
dire_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote