1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ATX --> Inverted ATX experiment

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mattthegamer463, 24 Feb 2007.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I had been meaning to do this ever since I saw TheGreatSatan's project ATX to inverted ATX and I got this MDG case from my stepdad who bought a $10 Ultra Wizard case. By sheer coincidence, TheGreatSatan and me had the exact same chassis! I didn't even know this until I took a look at his project after I was done mine! Anyway, it went off without a hitch, and looks totally stock to the uneducated man.

Sorry about the cell pics, my dad got a new Canon Rebel XTi, but he hadn't bought a CF card for it yet! :duh: I've got one now but he has the camera at his house and I no longer have it here at my house. Poo.

I started by drilling and knocking out the rivets for the back plate and motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laying it out to see how it will fit.
    [​IMG]

The pieces being drilled and bolted together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Putting in the motherboard support arm. Its not in the original place because it wouldn't fit if I were to replicate its original position. I just drilled a hole through the bottom of the case and riveted it in there, then riveted it to the cd bays.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some drilling for new mounting holes, the panels fit on the opposite sides!

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

blurry close-up.
    [​IMG]

All in all, a 100% successful experiment. I'm planning more mods for this rig in the future, just not sure what to do next!

Last edited: 3 Mar 2007
  2. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

pity the camera isnt good

Are you going to start a full out official mod? It would definatly be cool.

3. mattthegamer463

I'll take new final pictures next time I have the SLR.

I'm not sure about what to do next on this case, I think I will use it for a plan I came up with about 18 months ago, to make a car themed mod, with spoiler, racing scoop, etc, because this case has a small grill built into it, that I could incorporate easily. If and when I decide to start I will create a log.

4. mattthegamer463

Just a little warning to anyone wanting to do something like this. While putting some components into this case, I encountered two problems; the front panel wires aren't long enough to reach the bottom corner of the motherboard, and my CDRW can't fit in anymore! The motherboard blocks it because the board is directly behind the drive bay, blocking it in every slot! Just a warning to anyone doing this to make sure they have enough room or appropriate measures to fix it!