1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Demonstrates Accelerated Computing Solution that Breaks Teraflop Barrier

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Tim S, 1 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

San Francisco — March 1, 2007 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today showcased a single-system, Accelerated Computing platform that breaks the teraflop computing barrier. Organizations are ultimately expected to be able to apply this technology to a wide range of scientific, medical, business and consumer computing applications. At a press event in San Francisco, AMD demonstrated a “Teraflop in a Box” system running a standard version of Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional that harnessed the power of AMD Opteron™ dual-core processor technology and two next-generation AMD R600 Stream Processors capable of performing more than 1 trillion floating-point calculations per second using a general “multiply-add” (MADD) calculation. This achievement represents a ten-fold performance increase over today’s high-performance server platforms, which deliver approximately 100 billion calculations per second.

“The technology AMD demonstrated today is just one example of how the ‘New’ AMD is changing the game for our industry,” said Dave Orton, executive vice president of visual media business at AMD. “Today, teraflop computing capability is largely reserved for the supercomputing space. But now that “Teraflop-in-a-Box” is a reality, AMD can deliver an order of magnitude increase in performance.”

Today also marks an important milestone on the road to Accelerated Computing, AMD’s vision for specialized “co-processors” interoperating with x86 microprocessors to provide efficient and flexible acceleration for specific applications. Platforms based on the same technology found in the “Teraflop-in-a-Box” demonstration should benefit a wide range of scientific and commercial applications, including energy, financial, environmental, medical, scientific, defence and security organizations around the world by equipping them with the intensive computing power they require to conduct research and deliver solutions significantly faster than previously possible.

What is a Teraflop?
    In the supercomputing field, “flops” is an acronym meaning FLoating point Operations Per Second, a measure of a computer’s ability to perform floating point calculations. A teraflop is one trillion floating point operations per second. Stream processing technology helps raise the bar in this regard by leveraging sophisticated, massively parallel processors, generally used for 3D graphics applications, to solve real-world problems.

Cautionary Statement
    This press release contains forward-looking statements including, but not limited to, the performance, capabilities, and compatibility of the AMD Opteron™ microprocessor and AMD R600 Stream Processor and Graphics Processor, including statements relating to multimedia capabilities, strong system performance, stability, graphics image quality and enhanced consumer experiences, which are made pursuant to the safe harbour provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the company's current expectations. Assumptions applied in making, and potential risks that could cause actual results to differ materially from such forward looking statements include, among others, software and/or hardware-related issues and conflicts, that we may not be able to develop, launch and ramp new products and technologies in the volumes and mix required by the market at mature yields and on a timely basis, and overall system performance. We therefore cannot provide any assurance that such forward-looking statements will materialise. We assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or any other reason. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 1, 2006.

About AMD
    Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit www.amd.com.

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

May I be the first to say, I shall be getting married to R600 on release, you guys are all invited.

3. DougEdey

Tim: Do you have any more details about the actual specs?

I was just looking at the top500 list, at the top of it the machine produces only 2.14GFlops per processor. So if 2 R600's + 1 x Dual Core produces 1000GFlops then each R600 probably produces just under 500GFlops.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't honestly know... for comparison though, Nvidia says G80 (in GeForce 8800 GTX format) is capable of 520 GFlops

5. DougEdey

And these are just "R600" so we have no idea which incarnation.

Looking at what you just said though, G80 does appear to be stronger.

I know that X1900 series had GFLOPs in it at $1 per GFLOP. Not sure when that was calculated.

6. traderonline

traderonline What's a Dremel?

Hoping to try this one. the future of computing will change rapidly.. i can still remember using my old 486 DX with only 66mhz :D

7. Argonautz

Argonautz What's a Dremel?

amd seems to always be advancing much faster than intel,
    word on the scene is that the only reason the intel core 2 duos are so good is becouse when the Alpha processor corp failed, intel bought their technology and used it in the core-duo or core2duos, becouse alpha technology rox. if they didnt then intel would still be a genra behind